Author Topic: Avenger/Lightning Door Restoration [And Minimap tweaks]  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Avenger/Lightning Door Restoration [And Minimap tweaks]
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:05 am »
I noticed the Lightning door didn't seem to work, instead units could just walk through it like a magic wall.

Turns out, doors placed in the 'Content' part of a map block (where the door was placed on the map) don't actually work. So I just moved it to the "West" wall part and it works fine.
Other fixes include: LOF fixes (even though the engine specifically fixes the Lightning walls) but also including LOF fixes for the stairs, which had a few gaps in it.

I also tried my hand at restoring the Avenger doors. I modified the tileset to move them to the north side of the tile so that they match up with where the engine puts North doors. Therefore the doors behave and animate just like you'd expect. Here's the tileset, if you want to see how I did it

The only oddity is with lighting, but it's minor:

I suppose I could just replace them with flat doors to solve this.

Also, for both, I made some tweaks to get the minimap images of the Lightning and the Avenger looking proper (except for shadows, but nothing I can do about that). I did this by swapping the minimap graphics for the corner floor-tiles and the diagonal walls, since the walls' minimap graphics will draw over the floor tiles.

Before:

After:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:56:07 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Avenger/Lightning Door Restoration [And Minimap tweaks]
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:55 am »
Cool, I could never fix this, windows 7 doesn't run many of the tools required >_<

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
Thank you so much for this! :)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »
this kind of mods are that little things that should get inside the builds...pretty small..but so amazing and immersive ty very much pal!

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »
yes, this should so go into the main branch. thank you!

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:19 pm »
I updated the package, I moved the Avenger door up 1 pixel so it's flush with the seam (I forgot I could do that with the MCD)

yes, this should so go into the main branch. thank you!
The Avenger door is a bit of a dirty hack (check the main post, I added the graphics that show how I did it) so I'm not sure about that one, but the Lightning sure could use it. The old 'door' just made no sense at all.

Cool, I could never fix this, windows 7 doesn't run many of the tools required >_<
Oddly enough, I did this all on Windows 8. I used MCDEdit (and Pckview) and Mapview and GIMP to do it all.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to actually include the map files, so if you tried it already the doors wouldn't actually be there :X but I updated it now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:15:38 pm by Tarvis »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:37:50 am »
Oh that explains the really relly weird look my lightning had  ;D

gonna try the new files asap!

edit: Tested it and it works flawlessly. Many many thank for this fix! It should be an official part of OpenXcom fwiw.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:40:52 am by civilian »