aliens

Author Topic: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom  (Read 59347 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2019, 02:43:42 am »
Just brainstorming for a possible backstory for this conversion. It could have a strong 'Dungeon Keeper' component. This means you could have a warband to collect resources from nearby towns to build up your 'Dungeon' and main battles were then base defense missions.
It would put more emphasis on base design, which is for most mods not really important.

I wish the Base defence screen would become Moddable at some point in the near future as i would like to be able to break it down into 5x5 blocks and increase the total size so i can build custom Castle walls through it.

My current goal with this is to just get a working Ruleset for testing and keep working on the Geoscape side of it, i want it to look similar to the battle map from Fantasy Empires  which i am hoping is doable. The colour pallets Both in Geoscape and BattleScape may need tweaking as when i think of Fantasy i think of more BRIGHT colours but we will see in time if that is needed or not.

Was sent some Goblin sprites from "B" which is why i decied to dust of this old ruleset, also found my old Pirates, forgot i even did them to be honest.  Having lost of graphic issues with the weapons currently, i am sure i will work it out in time.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:55:14 am by luke83 »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2019, 09:20:34 am »
Nice secto-goblins. Now i want to do something similar.

Upd.:

How about this?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:21:32 pm by Nord »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:27 pm »
Yes some nice goblins there Nord.

So as the base races for this mod, i am thinking of using the below:
The general races would be shown below:

Humans
Dark Orcs & goblins
Halflings
Elves
Shadow ELves
Dwarf
undead
lizardman
minators

from there you could mix in different unit classes and speciality monsters/units of any descriptions
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:41:14 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 09:34:48 am »
Got a VERY buggy ruleset working so far, lots of errors i a have not seen before but  at thanks to the Hardwork of B, it looks like FOXY will oneday become a reality ( i am guessing 2020).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:30:48 am by luke83 »

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:51 pm »
Cool! And sectoid goblins really cute :D

I actually already made a game similar to what you're doing: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6791.0.html

Although it uses its own engine, originally started as reverse-engineering of Magic & Mayhem (another amazing Gollop's game), but then it turned into a standalone game, and after that real time elements locked into turn-based mode (before that i). There is also no RNG. But I still have geoscape, but instead of UFOs there are now dungeons with items, spells and other loot. Instead of different weapons there are just different creature types, player can hire when planning a mission or during a mission (say in a tavern in a city).

Would be interesting to see how you implement a fantasy setting inside original XCOM engine limitations. Because I surely cant imagine that!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2019, 09:57:02 pm »
Cool! And sectoid goblins really cute :D

I actually already made a game similar to what you're doing: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6791.0.html

Although it uses its own engine, originally started as reverse-engineering of Magic & Mayhem (another amazing Gollop's game), but then it turned into a standalone game, and after that real time elements locked into turn-based mode (before that i). There is also no RNG. But I still have geoscape, but instead of UFOs there are now dungeons with items, spells and other loot. Instead of different weapons there are just different creature types, player can hire when planning a mission or during a mission (say in a tavern in a city).

Would be interesting to see how you implement a fantasy setting inside original XCOM engine limitations. Because I surely cant imagine that!

Yes,  i tried your the other day, i decided to not follow the advice and make a run for the castle doors anyway, needless to say i was burnt alive :)

yes HOW to do this within the OXC engine is still a mystery to me also, like you i am thinking of dungeons, towns and patrolling armies to be running around my Geoscape and this will allow for the story arc to play out. The interception screen at this point seams useless to me and i was going to see if there was a way to bypass it for this mod.
 Was thinking of having different class of weapons both normal and enchanted ones and as the story arc plays out, allow of races to join your citys  (and as such become usable in the warband).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:01:25 pm by luke83 »

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »
Well, I'm on the other hand planning the opposite - to introduce the interceptor screen, but in modified form, and use some magic/beasts/steam-punk flying vehicles. Like i.e. that iconic giant eagle from Golden Axe, or flying castles from Chrono Trigger. Just watch this classic movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzs3Z4UeVEQ

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 03:51:41 pm »
Also, I think there is another approach possible: dungeon keeper style, where player defend some large underworld from invading heroes. XCOM already has some tower defense concepts, down to towers. But I guess that will also require modding the core engine, so it wont look bolted on.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »
I read the shorthand as "foxy" and it makes me laugh... just thought I'd share.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2019, 09:07:36 pm »
I read the shorthand as "foxy" and it makes me laugh... just thought I'd share.

Yes, me too :) Real life stuff has stalled my modding at the moment, i expect to be flatout for at least 1 more week before i return to my normal work/home life balance.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2019, 03:13:45 pm »
Regardless, changing the acronym to "FOXY" somehow would be a good move, marketing-wise. ;)

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 10:12:20 pm »
I think FOXC would be a better choice if the choice is only between FOXC and FOXY.  It would be easier to find stuff related to it with the name being more unique, and would be less lame.

Offline _Brain322

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2019, 09:03:29 pm »
OpenXcom Fire Emblem port when ? (It could actually be a neat idea)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2019, 08:14:44 pm »
Just an update, B__0 has been hard at work making sprites, we now have some basic Orc and Barbarians sprites!

Join us on the IDT servers and keep track of our progress:
IDT: https://discord.gg/QGGkax7

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
Been a while since we have done any updates on FOXC so here another sneak peak.