aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFTS] New SkyRangers  (Read 17746 times)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
[CRAFTS] New SkyRangers
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »
I was using a modification of Skyranger without knowing it was not part of OpenXCom mod but coming from UFO Extender mod (thanks to Moriarty for information !)

Would someone be interested (also capable !) to include this in a future release, as a mod ?

It totally changes XCOM deployment, strategy, possibilities :
- it is now interesting to put some high level soldiers rear
- if get only 8 soldiers, it is possible to fight from SkyRanger for some rounds, before exiting it
- depending on mission, for example if SkyRanger is on a border, it is possible to exit from "protected" side, then hide behind SkyRanger
Really, I can just say this : "trying it is adopting it !"

The only issue I saw is that units deployment contains a little error (one soldier on a door)

Edit : in fact, this mod does not only add rear doors, but floor protection too (it is now possible to hide under wheels or between weels, particularily interesting in case of lot of aliens around SkyRanger !), and is longer than original one (but keeps only 14 places) ; also I uploaded some screen shots level by level

Edit2 : I attached Plane.zip -> To install : just unzip PLANE.MAP under OpenXcom\Data\Maps
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:31:13 am by Aldorn »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: SkyRanger rear doors (from UFO Extender by Seb76 & Co)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »
Looks interesting, i always wanted to make a rotated view of the skyranger model so the plan doesn't always land the same direction, this models would be a must for that set also .... Got to finish my UFO upgrade first :(

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44:58 pm »
Sure !  ;D

Offline papamaanbeer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Twitch papamaanbeer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:40 am »
i think the engines are a mistake they need to be undet the wings. an extra exit near cockpit is great! even without a ramp. you can fall/jump out or fly out if you have the armour

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:14:00 am »
Place AVENGER.MAP and or PLANE.MAP in data/MAPS.
Overwrite the original files of the same name or back them up somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:18:01 am by darkestaxe »

Offline papamaanbeer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Twitch papamaanbeer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »
great work!
(question could it be done with a door like the alien ships?)

now with to 0.9 i feel exposed because now all aliens in the vicinety are faceing the xcom craft

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:51 am »
great work!
(question could it be done with a door like the alien ships?)

now with to 0.9 i feel exposed because now all aliens in the vicinety are faceing the xcom craft

Yes it could, however it would require editing of multiple files. Either you have to add UFO doors to the skyranger/avenger pallet and have it look like you welded a UFOs doors to your craft, or you have to flag something that gives a a copy of an avenger/skyranger side-piece the functionality of a UFO door and add that to the pallet.

If you want to figure out how to do those things, there's tools already built for editing that stuff and guides on how to use those tools here.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:49:57 am »
Place AVENGER.MAP and or PLANE.MAP in data/MAPS.
Overwrite the original files of the same name or back them up somewhere.

Hey Darkestaxe, thanks for the SkyRanger !

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »
One word of warning, though: Those open doors are death reincarnated for your troops, trust me , I experimented alot with them...  ;D

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
One word of warning, though: Those open doors are death reincarnated for your troops, trust me , I experimented alot with them...  ;D

You are right, I tested it, and it seems to be finally more an inconvenient than an advantage

However I thank Darkestaxe for his nice contribution

Following his instructions, I am able to attach file corresponding to the version displayed in my first message

As noted by Darkestaxe, just install it under OpenXcom\data\Maps
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:13:14 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFTS] New SkyRangers for different strategic goals
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:26:43 am »
I found the way to mod the Skyranger (for small modifications...)

Also added two new skyrangers :

- the first one is same as Solarius Skyranger "V2", which I just added two side/rear doors (LongSkyrangerV2With2RearDoors.zip)

- the second one is inspired by Seb76's version (SkyrangerXXLWith4Doors) , with :
- 4 side doors
- is longer, as it could contain 20 soldiers
- is not on the ground

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:30:05 am by Aldorn »

niculinux

Re: [CRAFTS] New SkyRangers
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »
Thanks! This mod should not have compatibilityt problems at all, since hte first version from aldorn and the darkestaxe's one require simply to replace the vanilla PLANE.MAP (or place into the MAP folder after having renamed the original one). Anyway i guess it may be better to update it to the new mod structure, currently tested on nighlty 2015_08_27 nad ran into no problems at all.

Screenshot taken with hardmode expansion 0.93b i like the basic skyranger of darkestaxe :P which the shot refers

Edit: LongSkyrangerV2WithRearDoors.zip and LongSkyrangerV2With4RearDoors.zip require instaed folders overwritong/mergin, these last two may cause compatibility issue, i imagine...let's hope i'm wrong! After all, deserve a page on the mod portal, i think:)

Edit 2: the last two not compatible, even with a vanilla game :,(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:27:45 pm by niculinux »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 12:09:56 am »
I'm using this mod that I adapted from the Final Mod Pack(credits to Solarius Scorch) and I'm using happily enough on hardmode v0.93 with nightly 2015-08-27-1136 atm. I was using LongSkyrangerV2WithRearDoors but couldn't figure out how to change the deployments as I wanted the last two troops facing the doors etc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:11:40 am by SIMON »

niculinux

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:19:23 am »
I'm using this mod that I adapted from the Final Mod Pack(credits to Solarius Scorch) and I'm using happily enough on hardmode v0.93 with nightly 2015-08-27-1136 atm. I was using LongSkyrangerV2WithRearDoors but couldn't figure out how to change the deployments as I wanted the last two troops facing the doors etc.

You get that after the right research, right?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »
Yep fairly straightforward research, doesn't have a weapon port but u could if u wanted to tweak the rul file for that. I think in all my time with openxcom I've used the skyranger in combat once or twice as a supporting craft to lob a couple more avalance missiles @ a ufo. Might consider doing that when I think about it and release an updated version. Actually just done that, have updated the section in modding/experiments as well, enjoy.

PS Refer to "Better Skyranger" mod in modding/experiments sections for full updated mod, though for anyone using the older version the attached rul file is all that needs to be updated.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:24:03 pm by SIMON »