Category Archives: Community

OpenXcom is everywhere!

In your phone!

By Carles Pagès | Thread

In your browser!

By Aleksander Guryanov | Thread

In your house!

NOTE: Third-party ports are not made by the OpenXcom team. Please contact the respective developers for any inquiries and support. Reports of aliens under your bed have not yet been confirmed. Stay vigilant.

OpenXcom stream for Extra Life charity

Hey everyone, me and Warboy will be doing an OpenXcom live stream this Sunday (3rd November) 3pm GMT for the Extra Life charity to help support sick kids in hospitals (we are specifically targeting international efforts so everyone benefits).

Feel free to join us, ask questions, laugh at my incompetence, and of course donate to the charity. This is not your typical Jade stream, so the commentary won’t be as stellar, but hey, it’s for the kids!

Edit: Stream is over, thanks to everyone that joined in, we had a blast! We ended up doing a Superhuman Ironman run as the chat requested. Here’s the outcome.

OpenXcom featured on Massive Chalice livestream

Wow, this completely flew past my radar. I need to upgrade to a Hyperwave Decoder. So the team behind Massive Chalice, an upcoming tactical/RPG/strategy/game/thing, occasionally show off other games that inspired them while talking about their project in live streams. And in one of them they featured OpenXcom! Check it out! And check out their project too, it looks pretty cool.

Watch live video from doublefine on TwitchTV

(starts at 00:09:30)

Community stuff

First off, we have a Google+ now. I didn’t tell anyone about it, yet somehow it already has +36, don’t know how that happened, but… er… good job, fans that… can apparently read my mind. *puts tinfoil hat* Though I probably won’t use it as much since it doesn’t integrate with WordPress well, and I’m not sure where I can link it on the website without ruining the lovely Feng Shui.

Second, I’ve been contacted to help spread the word about this cool little project called Isomer. I know I know, lately all I’m doing is asking for you to support stuff. “Ugh not this again, why is Sup asking for my attention? Why do I have to do stuff? Why should I care about this and that? And more importantly, where is my mod that merges every X-COM game together???”. But you know what, we’re all friends here. Yes, even you. If a fan comes up to me and asks for my help, I’ll gladly invite them inside, offer them a cup of coffee, then we can sit down and have a nice talk about the birds and the bees. It’s all cool.

Anyways, Isomer is a real-time strategy game where you take control of alien forces invading a randomly-generated world and have to mine for resources, build up your base, upgrade your troops and wage war against the inhabits. Or be all best buddies I guess, it’s a sandbox, but that doesn’t sound like much fun. There’s nothing available to download yet, but it looks very much in the style of X-COM’s tile-based destructible Battlescape gameplay, some kind of X-COM meets Minecraft I guess. Keep an eye on it, looks interesting.

It’s finally here, version 0.9!

Oh yes, fully playable 0.9 is officially here! Spread the word! Tell your friends! Get rid of all your old versions and saves, this one is gonna top them all! If you’ve been using the Git builds, then changing the save version to “0.9” should still work. Currently only Windows downloads are available, other platforms/versions will follow, in the meantime you can build from the source. Here’s the full changelog: New features: General: Intro cin…

Jade stream later tonight!

What better way to make sure there are no bugs left than a Jade Stream? 😀 As usual no specific time, but it should happen in a few hours. I’ll post a link here when it goes up and page you if you hang around IRC.

Update: And the stream is over, Jade finished OpenXcom without any crashes! Some bugs were still found though…