Author Topic: Custom starting base  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Halpo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Custom starting base
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:11 pm »
Is there a way to make your own starting base in TFTD?
Thanks

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Custom starting base
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:03:13 pm »
there's an option for custom initial base layout in the advanced options menu? beyond that there's modding.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:25:23 pm »
Whoo, my code still exists? TBH, looking back, I wish I'd allowed the player to build any amount of anything, and subtracted a cost, rather than just let them position the buildings. Oh well, the road not taken

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:44:13 pm »
But that would give you the ability to get the Alien Containment straight away. Wouldn't say it is cheating, but it does alter the flow of the game - as opposed to just the layout. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit controversial.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
That depends on your point of view. It's not like you have to research alien containment, which implies it's "available" at the start. Arguably, most people tend to build it on the first day anyway, and it's not like you shoot down 20 UFOs before it's complete.

It also means you could fully flesh your base at the very start, but you'd obviously start with a lot less money. It would be nice to also have just built two hangers for example, and save money on not having a second interceptor.

Finally, it wouldn't "force" you to buy alien containment... The whole custom base tool was about allowing the player to configure their base  to their liking, rather than having to try and build around what the game decided for you.

I'll never change any of it, so it's all moot really :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
I completely agree with all of your points. It's just that as a modder, I tend to look at every feature from a "how will this break everything" perspective. It doesn't really mean it will actually break anything. ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:46:52 am »
But that would give you the ability to get the Alien Containment straight away. Wouldn't say it is cheating, but it does alter the flow of the game - as opposed to just the layout. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit controversial.

It's a speed bump introduced by the designers - whether it is necessary or not is anyone's opinion

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:13 pm »
But I agree, that it would make the whole base layout issue a lesser one and I really like the idea of having a start amount of money you can use to place your base facilities freely. So if you choose to build an alien containment unit right away or choose to spend your money on large radar instead of the small one, it wouldn't be as time consuming. Let's face it: The base gets useful more like after 20-30 days, when finally the second general stores, additional living quarters, the alien containment and the large radar are available for use. During the first few days, there's not really a lot to to. So why not start with the base you want to have in the first place? If that were even be possible on the item level (I really never use cannons...) it would be perfect. And one would not need the rather arbitrary layout versions OpenXcom provides now. Just build it to your own liking.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 04:18:00 am »
If that were even be possible on the item level (I really never use cannons...) it would be perfect. And one would not need the rather arbitrary layout versions OpenXcom provides now. Just build it to your own liking.
Unless I'm not understanding something, you can do exactly this already in the ruleset: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Starting_Base

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 04:23:52 am »
Rulesets may be interesting for modders. I'm only playing this game. ;-)