aliens

Author Topic: [solved] Help to install Piratez Extended on Ubuntu  (Read 2754 times)

Offline sectopod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[solved] Help to install Piratez Extended on Ubuntu
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:24 pm »
Hi!

I run Ubuntu 14.04 and installed OXC by following the install instructions on https://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/

And i found the directory to put the original assets into to be /usr/share/openxcom/data

But I dont know how to install the Pirates Extended mod (nor any other non stock mod).

Can someone give me instructions on how to?

Thank you kindly!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:33:10 am by sectopod »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Help to install Piratez Extended on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:18:38 pm »
Hi sectopod!  First of all, the milestone version is terribly out of date for most of the mods, so unfortunately most of what you did to install it will not help you with installing Piratez.  It did install all the necessary libraries for the newer versions of the executable, so that will be helpful going forward.

To install Piratez on Ubuntu, you'll need to download the .zip package from Dioxine's thread, and choose a place to unpack it that is *not* the same directory as any of the OpenXcom 1.0 stuff.  For example, you can just unpack it in your Downloads folder and leave it as a separate installation from the milestone.  Next, you'll need the new executable from Meridian's thread.  There's a link there to a directory of various builds for linux, just find the one that matches Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) and your architecture (32 or 64 bit).  Download the zip archive from there, and copy the OpenXcomEx file into the Piratez folder.  Then, copy the data from the original game into the UFO subfolder of the Piratez directory.  You should be able to run OpenXcomEx either from command line cd'd into that directory or by just double-clicking.

Edit:
For any other mods, I'd seriously suggest either just ignoring the original OpenXcom you installed or removing it from your system - it has a different directory structure for installing mods than the latest versions, and you will confuse yourself trying to keep those straight.  For installing future mods, you should be able to unpack them in the [path/to/new/openxcom/install]/user/mods folder and be able to run them from there.  For example, I use Meridian's OpenXcom Extended Plus executable to run a number of different mods based on shell scripts.  My openxcom directory looks like this:

common
config_piratez # contains options.cfg file for running Piratez
config_xcomfiles # contains options.cfg file for running XComFiles
config_ufo # contains options.cfg for running the game with no mods
config_tftd # contains options.cfg for running TFTD
standard
TFTD
UFO
user
  -> mods
         -> Piratez
         -> XComFiles
         -> Any other mods I want to use
OpenXcomEx # The executable file to run the game
piratez.sh # Shell script that runs OpenXcomEx with config_piratez
files.sh # Shell script that runs OpenXcomEx with config_xcomfiles
... etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:27:16 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline sectopod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Help to install Piratez Extended on Ubuntu
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:43 am »
thank you ohartenstein23!

i did exactly as you described in the beginner friendly answer you wrote and that worked perfectly for me! just need to make some *.sh scripts to be able to start in different modes like you.

great!

and piratez? it is hillarious! love it! jellyfish will keep the pipe. cuz she and her strong, muscular body are piratey good in blunting some road tax out of and some payback into those academy nurses.  in a very mutant lady like way, of course. :-*  >:(

;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:36:14 am by sectopod »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: [solved] Help to install Piratez Extended on Ubuntu
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:58:38 am »
Good, I'm glad it's working.  It used to be more difficult before Stoddard's build bot took over compiling Meridian's code for Linux.  For the shell scripts, the important arguments are -user to define the location of the user folder and -config to define the location of the options.cfg file, -config only being usable if you use the -user argument first.