aliens

Author Topic: Killing an unconscious enemy on the ground?  (Read 8698 times)

Offline jepeman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Killing an unconscious enemy on the ground?
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:56 pm »
How can you kill an unconscious enemy on the ground?

I tried shooting on the tile with bodies without luck and I guess I could blow up the bodies, but hoping for something easier/better.

I vaguely remember seeing a command to kill a unconscious enemy with a melee weapon somehow, but can't find it again ingame or via googling.

Mainly want to finish off some ghouls to prevent them from standing up again because of their regen (and maybe some other future enemy types I haven't encountered yet), or does it actually matter?
It seems like missions can end even when they've regained consciousness and I don't know if they can pick up weapons or grenades or have any way of attacking people?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Killing an unconscious enemy on the ground?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:34:53 pm »
Shooting the tile with the enemy works. You can also execute them with a Cutting weapon (take the unconscious unit in the other hand), yet the option to do so must be enabled.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »
Shooting at the tile is perfectly doable in Piratez/OXCE. No idea why it doesn't work for you - maybe you were just missing.

And yes, you can execute your enemies with melee, but you must have the relevant option enabled - it's the first one in the OXCE+ section.

EDIT: Ninja'd for 2 seconds :P

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:32 pm »
Also, an alternative to consider for Ghouls is to use manacles to keep them down.

Enemies that revive from knocked out states will generally be considered "broken" for surrender checks, so they shouldn't prolong a mission.  There is also an option to allow enemies to pick up dropped weapons and items (which can be turned on or off).  What they will pick up is based on the "attractive-ness" of a weapon.  I'm not sure how much ghouls do or don't do this, but its a consideration. 

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:35:51 am »
I know from experience that a ghoul will pick up a gun eventually, though it might take a few turns, assuming the setting is on.

Offline jepeman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
Thanks for the answers.
I knew I had seen the execute command somewhere, it was when I first set up the game and options, didn't occur to check there again.  :)

However, for the life of me I can't find the setting to (dis)allow enemies to pick up dropped weapons and items, is it ingame setting or an .ini tweak? Not necessary yet, but might enable it in the future if things get too tough.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »
However, for the life of me I can't find the setting to (dis)allow enemies to pick up dropped weapons and items, is it ingame setting or an .ini tweak? Not necessary yet, but might enable it in the future if things get too tough.

This feature is actually connected to weapons:

Code: [Select]
    attraction: 9
The higher the number, the more eager AI units will be to pick it up.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:38:54 pm »
And that's why I often thrown enemy guns on rooftops.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »

You're a bully.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:24:14 pm »
That's why I kill my enemies.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:09 pm »

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

That's not a bad idea. I tend to just grab the unconscious enemies themselves and carry them somewhere. Usually not far; I just like to take them away from their weapons and grenades, and put them somewhere obvious so that I'll see them if they wake up.

On long missions with lots of unconscious enemies, I sometimes make a pile of them in a central area - so that I can have a gal with a cattle prod, or whatever, watching over all of the unconscious enemies at once.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:12 pm »
I enjoy the pile o' bodies solution as well :)

Offline Berggen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:35 pm »
Hi, I don´t know what I'm doing wrong, I remember I executed enemies before. I did a clean install of the last build and now I can't find the option to allow the execution thing.
Was it enabled by default in previous builts? Can someone show me where I have to check to enable this option?
Thanks in advance.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 02:20:48 am »
First of all thank you for necroing a thread almost 5 years dead with your first post.

On to the actual question. this feature was removed from the engine entirely. So unless you feel like re-coding OXCE, your sadly out of luck.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:41 am »
Hi, I don´t know what I'm doing wrong, I remember I executed enemies before. I did a clean install of the last build and now I can't find the option to allow the execution thing.
Was it enabled by default in previous builts? Can someone show me where I have to check to enable this option?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The option was added in December 2015: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3833.msg57103.html#msg57103

but it was later removed in October 2018 in OXCE v5.1, because it was incompatible/conflicting with other new features: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3833.msg104293.html#msg104293

You did nothing wrong.

Also regarding necroing a post, you also didn't do anything wrong, necroing posts is allowed here.
I personally am glad that you tried searching for an answer first and asked in a thread that looked similar... that fully justifies necroing a thread (in my opinion).

First of all thank you for necroing a thread almost 5 years dead with your first post.

On to the actual question. this feature was removed from the engine entirely. So unless you feel like re-coding OXCE, your sadly out of luck.

Hi, you also didn't do anything wrong :) Technically.
But it was not a nicest reply.

I fully admit my replies are many times much worse than your reply here, but please let's try to be nice to new people; regardless of the quality or relevance of their first post (which was pretty good in this case).
Once they become veterans (10+ posts), feel free to switch to a more légère form of communication :)