Author Topic: Shadoworlds Sprites - Another potential source  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Shadoworlds Sprites - Another potential source
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:46:53 am »
Hi All,

Been a while since last posted as had to put my own mod plans on hiatus because of about a million other things going on :(

I come across this little beauty on a random youtube video session and some of the sprite models look pretty good :)

I've spent a few hours seeing if there is an easy way to rip them but the amiga and dos format stuff looks a bit beyond my capability lol

Anyways thought I'd post to see if it tickles anyones interests.

SQ

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Shadoworlds Sprites - Another potential source
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:46 pm »
Shadoworlds is a beautiful video game that sadly has pretty crappy gameplay. I woulto d be more interested in having openxcom being used to reconstruct Space Crusade  8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:41 pm »
I can't find any resources from the game... Anyone has any?

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:08:16 am »
Shadoworlds is a beautiful video game that sadly has pretty crappy gameplay. I woulto d be more interested in having openxcom being used to reconstruct Space Crusade  8)

you have 40k mod with space hulk map, the only problem is i havenĀ“t made it in the campaign gameplay

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:37:58 am »
I can't find any resources from the game... Anyone has any?

The only thing I could find scorch was an online version of the game, dos version and amiga version.  Tried following the guide to rip amiga sprites from save states but I couldn't get it to work.  Tried various rippers for the dos one and still had no joy :(

Good luck for anyone who does take on the task!

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:53:13 pm »
If you are really interested in having the sprites for this game, I would recommend you guys fill a sprite request at the english amiga board here:

https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?s=ac58f904a6c72405e12f20769de597d1&f=64

They have a bunch of talented sprite rippers doing volunteer work. If you're lucky they might help you.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
I disagree with that : "If you are really interested", invest a few hours and do the work.
The game is Atari/Amiga/DOS, so I suspect it was a 16-bit game ported to VGA afterwards. I don't know much about Atari, but Amiga means bitplane-based graphics, which are often easy to recognize and rip from the memory dumps.
You may need to create the palette, but from looking at a single screenshot it's quite easy, and in this case we're talking very few colors, 8 max.

Sidequests, can you precise which graphics you think would be nice ? I didn't find many videos, and only saw the player characters' sprites, a similar android, and a 'jackal-head man'.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:09:58 pm by yrizoud »

The_Funktasm

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:51:45 pm »
I haven't ever seen this game. The title though reminds me of the vaguely 90's Fox Cartoon-like "Shadow Watch" turn-based tactical game. It was a little bit like XCOM but about anti-terror work with a squad of multi-national soldiers in fancy blue-palette bodyarmor. It had a very distinct cartoon/comic style with sharp contrasts between light and dark colors.

I bought it once at a thrift store but I lost it after I switched to an OS that wouldn't run it.

(Sorry if this is off topic.)