Author Topic: Meridian 3.5 vs 3.3 lostness  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Meridian 3.5 vs 3.3 lostness
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:29:29 am »
Hi.

Before the holidays, I decided to not move much thinking it's better to focus on a single codebase, expecting 3.5 to emerge as such shortly.

But it's 5th or 6th Jan already, depending on hemisphere, and as far as I get 3.3 is still the definitive version to play X-Piratez, and so, by extension, to test the new stuff on too.

I'm kind of lost here. I don't want to work on 3.3 because that'd mean painful forward-ports, and I can't work on 3.5 since I playtest on X-Piratez, and that isn't vetted to work on 3.5. So I'm stuck.

I do not intend any pressure anybody, I'm just curious on what the current situation and plans are. Or maybe I misunderstood something.
Please enlighten me.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian 3.5 vs 3.3 lostness
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:38:23 am »
Dioxine tends to update slowly(content based) compared to Merdian cranking out new features sometimes every other day(code feature based). Merdian's newer versions should work in theory but it's at your risk at playing on a potentially unstable platform.

Most of us end users are just better off waiting till Dioxine catches up because we dont have the knowledge to fix problems that might occur. If you do have the knowledge go right ahead.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:43:20 am by legionof1 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:09 am »
Unfortunately since 3.5 brought in the nightly's new font format, you can't load Piratez into 3.5... but you might try PM'ing Dioxine directly Stoddard, I'm sure he's not too far behind on the update and might be willing to send you something WIP for the sake of code progress.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:56:04 am »
Unfortunately since 3.5 brought in the nightly's new font format, you can't load Piratez into 3.5... but you might try PM'ing Dioxine directly Stoddard, I'm sure he's not too far behind on the update and might be willing to send you something WIP for the sake of code progress.

Well, thank you.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:27 pm »
One way around is copy fonts and fonts rule file from basic game to avoid this.

Offline PravayaTelka

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:11:14 pm »
ahaha.  situation)
Meridian wait Piratez version *.F  for finishing exe3.5
and you waiting exe3.5 for contuniong work at Piratez.... ahahahahah

"Compatibility information:
  - This build is based on OpenXcom Extended 3.5 and is NOT compatible with X-PirateZ yet! Please wait for a new PirateZ release (0.99F or higher)."

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
exe3.5 is ready (was always ready)

piratez needs to upgrade to exe3.5... which is in progress... I have even sent Stoddard a preview of piratez 0.99f so that he can continue his efforts