Author Topic: [WORKING] OpenXcom (v1.0) on Chromebook (via crouton), ARM arch (ASUS Flip)  (Read 8178 times)

Offline nathandetr0it

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    Hi All, with my inaugural post, I wanted to announce that I have successfully gotten OXC up and running on my ARM-architecture ASUS Flip Chromebook! It took me a week, lots of trial and error, and some leveling up of my linux skills (from level 1 to level... 1.05).

My setup:
    • ASUS Flip Chromebook (C100PA-DB2, ARM Architecture)
    • Stable-Channel ChromeOS
    • Developer Mode (OS Verification Disabled)
    OpenXcom is running on ubuntu-in-a-window style linux, using crouton (via xiwi and the Chrome extension)
    • Lnux install is Trusty Tahr (14.04) Ubuntu
    • Desktop Environment is Xfce 4.10
    • OpenXcom version is 1.0 Release

This is my third successful major compile-from-source project on this setup (I am such a newb), after 'Battle for Wesnoth' and 'Freeciv', with lots of other minor compiles and installs of various dependencies. This was by far the trickiest, and I'm sure my implementation is relatively nasty, but everything works!

Not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but I'm pumped and wanted to share with you guys.  Thanks for everyone's hard work making this project a reality!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:00:09 am by nathandetr0it »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Now realize that the 1.0 codebase is outdated for around two years and loads of progress have been made with the nightly code.

Implement nightly on your infrastructure for full experience :)

Offline nathandetr0it

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
haha ok, ok.  Let me enjoy my minor, outdated victory for a few weeks, first!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
haha ok, ok.  Let me enjoy my minor, outdated victory for a few weeks, first!

If you run it under the ubuntu, you can just use:

git clone https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom.git
cd OpenXcom
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
make -j 3
sudo make install

see here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Compiling_with_CMake_(OpenXcom)

Offline Testbox360

• Squaddie
  • Rookie Friendly Fire Accuracy: 101%
    • View Profile
Holy crap, could someone make a port for the Yoga 11e Chromebook? It's what most schools use for chromebooks in my area.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Well, this is pretty freaking sweet. This is the first step to something really cool.

I'm watching with baited breath!

-HH

Offline nathandetr0it

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Recently traded my Flip (ARM Rockchip w/ 4GB RAM) for the HP 13 G1 (Intel m5 w/ 8GB RAM) which means an architecture swap and whole new implementation! I'll post my progress getting this going with some mods.

[/quote]
Holy crap, could someone make a port for the Yoga 11e Chromebook? It's what most schools use for chromebooks in my area.
I know this is a year old, but for posterity running linux on a chromebook (in my case, via crouton) requires access to the OS, meaning putting the device into developer mode. It's unlikely that's allowed on a school chromebook is going to let you get away with that.