aliens

Author Topic: Thoughts & feedback so far  (Read 16811 times)

Offline just_dont

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts & feedback so far
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »
BTW, domestic shotgun with rubber slugs is quite crappy. You need to shot at least 2-3 times to a guy to take him down. The TUs and the distance required invites you throw the gun, take the club and go personal.
Domestic shotgun serves quite unique role of being a sustainable ranged stun-gun - so you can go for captures while raising ACC in the process. Yes, it's crappy, and yes, melee stunners & the whip are vastly superior, yet they won't allow you to train firing accuracy.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 01:13:41 am »
Domestic shotgun serves quite unique role of being a sustainable ranged stun-gun - so you can go for captures while raising ACC in the process. Yes, it's crappy, and yes, melee stunners & the whip are vastly superior, yet they won't allow you to train firing accuracy.

This is exactly why I use the rubber slugs on my interceptor (Jetbike) for training firing accuracy.  I've harvested Military Transports enough that I have a spare Defender armor to make my solo gals pretty much immune to fire from the Civilian Shipping I shoot down.  Nice little training missions.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »
Armor values of early game "armor" like Barbarian, Warrior and Scale is low enough that it hardly makes a difference over skin while hurting mobility very badly. With the low stats of early-game girls I'd rather give them stat bonuses. Warrior still gets used for shooter girls, but that's because of the shooting bonus. Its been a couple versions since I played early game, but my most deadly gals were swimsuit chainsaws, archers and javelineers with their choice of rogue/durathread/gym suit, and shotgunners.

I didn't see the appeal of Barbarian, but Warrior is quite decent imho. The gals have mostly decent armor values early on, but Warrior armor enables surviving stuff that could be even one-hit kills early. The most important fact is that Warrior armor makes Gals almost shotgun-proof.

I am currently using:

Pirate: The average armor once I get enough money to buy uber clothing.
Rogue: Reserved for archers and javeliners.
Warrior: Shooters and good melee warriors who are fast, strong and enduring enough to walk, run and carry useful things with Warrior armor.

Offline Vesparco

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:49 pm »
I'm going to take the opportunity to ask about the organ traffickers and the raid into mansion.

For the first one I was quite unprepared for the acid rain, So I basically grab the two ghouls I shooted down and their equipment before bailing out. I assume you need some advanced armor (or at least night-ops ) to have a small chance of surviving the encounter (it's amazing how with chem ammunitions the domestic shotgun becomes a nightmare).

For the second one I have three ladies and a pachyderm (the rest of the 20+ are on the infirmary playing cards, sickbay is on the way). I want to do also a grab & go but I've seen also that is a night mission. Any advice?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 11:31:43 pm »
The mansion sticks around for some time, you can wait until it's day and maybe until another gal comes out of sickbay.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:39 am »
Organ grinder is doable with experienced gals in basic gear, you only need to be fast and effective.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 01:34:38 am »
For the organ grinder a full clear is not the real goal. The best "prizes" are captured ghouls and ghoul scientists. You need very few of them but they are critical to progress. Don't over extend trying to kill everything.

Mansion grab and goes are certainly reasonable for the first pass. Even the items on the ground on the way to the roof exit can be worth the trip. Old earth books primarily.

Offline just_dont

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 01:43:52 am »
Organ grinder is either "grab stuff fast and get out" mission, or - just get Smoke Ops armor, it is quite sufficient to carry you through the mission with minimal problems (oh, and better do it during the day). Any chem-resistant armor above Smoke Ops is obviously great as well. Some hover armor works great for early reconnaissance and hounds-removal before the entire map gets filled with smoke.

Ghouls have pretty bad reactions and their weapons are mostly short-range, so rushing them or shooting them from far away usually works great and isn't overly risky.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 02:46:27 am »
For the organ grinder a full clear is not the real goal. The best "prizes" are captured ghouls and ghoul scientists. You need very few of them but they are critical to progress. Don't over extend trying to kill everything.
In the early game, I'd agree with that - but if you are strong enough to clear the mission, then you should; because you can also get emeralds and shipwrecked gals. :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 08:02:44 am »
Yes but for the necessary effort for an organ grinder i feel the rewards are slim once you have the research done. Nearly every gal that goes on an organ grinder runs is making a trip to sickbay for a few days in exchange for a handful of emeralds and 1-2 new gals. Maybe its worth it if you need the gems later on but early you just want the research and mid game gals are more easily had by other means in larger batches.

Also at least for me organ grinder runs are visually taxing to play due the sheer amount of "noise" on screen.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Research is also economy. For example if you research the small ship engine, you can then have your runts take it apart (requires workshop). The whole thing sells for 100k, but the parts sell for 135k, so that's a nice increase in profit from civilian shippings.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 01:53:01 am »
Are you accounting for the workshop time and runt hours with the disassembly?

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 11:30:45 am »
To steer this discussion to different direction, I found airgame to be mostly pointless in midgame. Fortuna armed with anything better than 25mm cannon and spike rockets is good enough for shooting down gold transporting freighters and terror ships and when it comes to other stuff, it's generally better to wait for it to land as that ensures the valuable bits don't blow up and it does not generate crackdowns.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 12:47:33 am »
Crackdowns are about the only guaranteed showing of the top end vips. Reticulans in particular its much easier to get the elder from crackdowns rather then the outpost mission. The outpost is a right ball buster after the vision changes.