aliens

Author Topic: Recommended explosion height?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Recommended explosion height?
« on: December 24, 2016, 03:32:57 am »
I tried googling this and only found a couple threads that sort of discussed it -- rather than necro one of them I decided to start a new one.

I was looking at the "explosion height" option and trying to figure out the best choice -- I found this documentation:

battleExplosionHeight:   
A coefficient that controls how much vertical power explosions have.
0 = Explosions are completely flat, as per the original game.
1 = -30 damage units per level (this penalty is in addition to the horizontal penalty of -10 damage per tile).
2 = -10 damage units per level.
3 = -5 damage units per level.

The "flat" explosions of the original game always seemed very unrealistic and silly.   But since tiles are apparently twice as high as they are wide, it doesn't make much sense to pick options 2 or 3 either, since those would allow explosions to propagate more vertically than horizontally.   Hence option 1 would seem to be the remaining choice.   But it does make me wonder, wouldn't the most realistic solution be to make -20 damage units per level, since levels are at least twice as tall as tiles are wide?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended explosion height?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:08:07 am »
I don't think, that in vanilla X-COM the explosions were down right flat, with no effect on upper levels. I distinctively remember aliens falling through roofs after blowing up an alien grenade or something even heavier. But I really have no clue as of how much the damage decreased per level, as I never did any analysis.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended explosion height?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 12:15:18 am »
Explosions were flat in vanilla = they did no damage to units on other levels, ever.

They could destroy the ceiling (= floor of level above) tho, and the rest is gravity.