Author Topic: Help with Early Game: When Aliens attack anywhere but where I am :(  (Read 2157 times)

Offline thundergraham

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hey guys, newcomer to XCOM here and I'm looking for some advice with the early game of XCOM.

I've got an idea of what to do (build Alien Containment, get more scientists, get avalanche missiles, research Laser weapons, etc.) but, when I started a new game on Experienced (Level 2) difficulty, the game's become a lot harder for a reason I wasn't expecting.

The aliens seem intent on attacking anywhere but where I've built my base. On my first two tries (with a base in Europe), the aliens attacked South America relentlessly, and for the third game my base in North America was ignored in favor of attacking East Asia.

By the end of January, the aliens have launched a terror mission in their theater of choice and XCOM is barely out of diapers; I've got a handful of laser weapons at best.

I'd like to think I've got an idea of what to do: deploy Interceptors to patrol areas of high alien activity. But all of my patrols have returned empty handed. I've seen a lot fewer UFOs in my territory than when I was playing on Beginner, as well (my base was in the US then).

My main questions are: Do the aliens get "smarter" about avoiding XCOM bases with higher difficulty? What's the best way to deal with the aliens attacking areas where you have no radar coverage? Is it possible to fend off a terror attack with no armor and a handful of laser pistols, should I just show up to the terror site and leave, or is the playthrough a lost cause if the aliens are terrorizing in January? I've either got awful luck or I'm doing something wrong; likely both.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Early Game: When Aliens attack anywhere but where I am :(
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »
They do not get smarter with difficulty - when the game is started, two missions will spawn.  A research mission in your home base region and a terror mission.  After that it's pure chance where missions decide to spawn.   

One of the best things to do in vanilla is to setup a single radar base immediately - just an access lift, general stores, hangar, and radar. Some people go for the US / Europe dichotomy, but I like to spread where my original interceptors can reach, in case I need to focus fire on a larger UFO.  So, I do NA / SA or Europe / Asia, etc.

Even without the second base, the first two missions should give you enough to get pretty far in your research - definitely plasma cannons for your craft.  If you can get the first spawned UFO to land, you'll have enough to research up to flying armor, though you'll be short on the materials to make them.   

If you want to avoid the second base and patrol based on graphs alone - I highly recommend Meridian's Hawaii challenge: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R