aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFT] Improved Interceptor  (Read 17984 times)

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[CRAFT] Improved Interceptor
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:37 pm »

Research topic: Improved Interceptor (requires Alien Alloys and UFO Navigation)
Manufacturing requirements: $200,000 + 25x Alien Alloys + 1x UFO Navigation, 32 Workshop space, 5000 engineer hours

Localised for: English (UK), English (US), Español (AL), Español (ES)

While playing on Veteran level, I figured it'd be nice to have a mostly conventional stepping stone towards the Firestorm, given it takes a while to be able to develop and more importantly maintain an Elerium-powered fighter craft. The Retaliator is a fairly modest improvement over its Interceptor cousin, performance-wise, but its primary advantage is that it can be built in X-COM bases and therefore not incur any rental fees.

Tested most of the graphics and even an interception in debug mode. Everything should work correctly, but some testing of the research requirements wouldn't go amiss.

Attached the mod. Extract it to your OpenXcom's data folder and enable the Retaliator ruleset in options.cfg. Enjoy!

PS: Yes, I later read the name "Retaliator" is used by one of X-COM Apocalypse's aircraft, but boo to that!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 11:14:33 pm by Shadow »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »
Looks very nice! Can't wait to try out this beauty!

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:13 pm »
Would you mind uploading the raw images; I can take a look and see what I can do.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:55:30 am »
It's done! :D

Thanks for the offer, MKSheppard, but I managed to sort it out in the end. Had to settle for a less purple-ish blue, but it doesn't look half bad.

Offline tyran_nick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:07 am »
This is very nice. I had tried in the past to build an upgrade version for the interceptor that would need for manufacturing to consume one of the conventional interceptors; hence upgrading ;) I couldn't really work out how to do it just with rulesets. It would be really good if we could figure out a way to do something along these lines.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:24 am »
Balancing aside, off the top of my head, it should be possible to add an Interceptor to the manufacturing requirements, but I'm not sure how the game would handle that since aircraft aren't quite like other items. How would the game decide which fighter to remove from its corresponding hangar, if you have more than one Interceptor?

And there's also the fact there might be some transformation taking place when one such craft is delivered to your base. You buy a generic Interceptor, but when it arrives it becomes more unique and given an individual name (i.e. INTERCEPTOR-1). I'm not sure the game would recognize an individualized aircraft as valid manufacturing material.

A third problem might arise from the game's need to have a free hangar to manufacture a new fighter, even if in this case the "upgrade" would be replacing one instead of building one from scratch. The game probably wouldn't know the difference. It's likely that, for instance, if you had two hangars and two Interceptors, you'd need a vacant third hangar to be able to improve a fighter. And that's not very elegant.

Offline tyran_nick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:16 am »
From my experiments with the rulesets crafts and soldiers could not be used as "materials" for manufacturing. However, I might have not tried enough!
The second pad would be solved if the check for free pads would happen after the materials are reserved, in which case the previous interceptor would no longer count against the limit.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:47:02 am »
RESEARCHABLE INTERCEPTOR UPGRADES

These could be ruleset so they can be researched separately as unique items. In order to increase RPG elements only one upgrade can be added to a default interceptor, then it is considered "advanced" and cannot be upgraded anymore.

Our scientists and the engineering team discovered how to make upgrades to existing interceptors:

INTERCEPTOR SPEED BOOST Max Speed changed from default XXXX to  XXXX

INTERCEPTOR AFTERBURNER Acceleration changed from default X to X

INTERCEPTOR EXTRA FUEL TANKS  Fuel capacity increase

INTERCEPTOR 3rd WEAPON  3 Weapon slots

INTERCEPTOR ARMOR UPGRADE  Ablative armor plating

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:52:31 am by mercy »

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:13 pm »
Not bad ideas, but ultimately outside the scope of this mod.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:43:28 pm »
Updated to fix a minor palette issue.

Offline rewkha

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFT] Improved Interceptor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 10:41:28 pm »
Russian translation
  - type: ru
    strings:
      STR_IMPROVED_INTERCEPTOR: "Улучшенный перехватчик"
      STR_RETALIATOR_UFOPEDIA: "Вариант перехватчика улучшенный с помощью инопланетных сплавов для улучшения выживаемости и усиления маневренности."
      STR_RETALIATOR: "КАРАТЕЛЬ"

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 03:30:25 am »
Updated in accordance to the new mod structure.

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:16:38 pm »
Add russian translation.

But RETALIATOR in russian is the same word as AVENGER. So i called it ... somethink like INTERCEPTOR-M (M means modified, and ofter russian tanks,
air defense systems and other military systems use this letterhttps:// like  АК-74М, Су-30МКИ and etc.) . Another possible variant is "chastener", "executioner", "ultor".

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 12:34:30 am »
But RETALIATOR in russian is the same word as AVENGER.

Why not call it Реталятор?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:37:05 am by The Reaver of Darkness »