Author Topic: Alternate Movement  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Alternate Movement
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:53:50 am »
Question: Is X-COM Files supposed to be played with alternate movement modes? Unsure if it unbalances the mod or what.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Alternate Movement
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:07:18 pm »
Question: Is X-COM Files supposed to be played with alternate movement modes? Unsure if it unbalances the mod or what.

No, it doesn't unbalance the mod specifically. The consequences are pretty much the same as with vanilla. In other words, play with it if you like (I do).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »
I find the sprint ability OP for the vanilla game / engine (not enough disadvantages), but I barely remember it exists in X-COM Files.
Maybe because I didn't progress much beyond early game, where your team sticks together, or because of the increased view range, moving one extra tile is not a lifesaving option.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:26:59 pm »
My experience so far is that sprinting makes melee worth it.

Unsure if it is balanced. I know X-PirateZ works well with it - stamina becomes a useful stat, and helps a lot with melee fighting.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:42:23 pm »
My experience so far is that sprinting makes melee worth it.

Unsure if it is balanced.

Not sure what you mean... That melee is too strong or too weak?

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
Not sure what you mean... That melee is too strong or too weak?

More like running up to enemies often spends a lot of TU, making melee at best a huge dice thrown. Sprinting helps with that, but then you run into Stamina lack sometimes (which is cool, especially with items to refill it). Not so much in X-COM Files, but in PirateZ stamina is a very important stat - the best melee warriors are the ones with good enough stats to run at super-human speeds and then destroy their enemies with blades and blunts like the fists of a angry god. Not to mention enough beer (or X-Grog) to keep stamina up during combat situations.

I really need to test melee more in X-COM Files. I'm too much of a cautious dude so I really don't know when to simply CHARGE MINDLESSELY TOWARDS THE ENEMY! Even when I should!

I have done calculations with Machete and it seems like I could be dealing upwards of 50 damage with it in the hands of the right agent. Considering it doesn't even use 10 TU, I could be dealing like +200 damage in a turn, turning pretty much anything devoid of armor into chunks of meat - assuming the agent hits. That's WAY better than anything I got at hand in the moment, and right now "anything" is the Hunting Rifle, Magnum and my recently-researched HK. I gotta train my agents in melee - machetes might be the next best thing against the zombie menace.

I still remember how I had zero respect for knives in the FMP, until I once got a situation where I won a Terror Ship with one man standing, a sniper with a unloaded Tac Rifle, a alloy knife, and a ship full of smoke and sectoids. Sniper Shivs Sectoids, Ship Secured Safely!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »
I think melee importance in XCF is similar to FMP. Not really your primary attack mode, but can be very useful.

As for Stamina, I think it's actually really important, because most armours reduce it and you don't have nuclear beer like in Piratez (Stims help, but not that much).