Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence v.0.5.1  (Read 16975 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
[TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence v.0.5.1
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:27:58 pm »
Since I decided to stop trying to achieve perfection (at least today), i proudly present you the first version of my expansion mod for Openxcom Terror From The Deep.

World of (terrifying) silence.

Goal: You ever wondered, where authors of TFTD took all these fancy supersonic submarines and underwater tanks? Yes, this is future (2040 year, if you forget) but not very far future. I mean, only 24 years left. And we have no such technology, as we dont has it 24 years before. Are we? Well, i tried to explain this a bit. And yes, game became slightly harder.

New content:  5 new weapons, 2 new crafts, 2 new craft weapons, 1 new armor suit, 1 new enemy, 1 new mission type, some ammunition and ufopedia topics. Average quantity of gameplay changes (mostly tech tree, and mostly early game). Hard to count, things are changing all time.
Ah, yes, included "Extended facilities" by Blank. Dunno why.

What in the nearest plans: New enemies (1 almost done, 3 in mind, definetely no Carharodons.), new armors (drawing spritesheets is boring), new transport craft, 1-2 new mission types, reworking of gauss weapons. Also stealing drones and USO designs from here https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4931.0.html.[/s] Maybe stealing of something more.

Download and install: Link(Upd: version 0.4.2:): DropBox
You need openxcom nightly version 2016_11_27_1647 or later, if you want full compatibility. But not necessary.
I will not use OXCE or OXCE+, because i need my mod working on android.

Thanks: to openxcom authors for brilliant game; to Solarius Scorch for priceless help; to new_civilian and other modders,
from whom I borrowed something.

As always, sorry for my bad english. I will appreciate any feedback, and especially text spelling.

Changelog:
V.0.5.1
Fixed naga corpse.
V. 0.5
Added new enemies: cult of sirius with two surface-only units, naga aliens, big polyph.
Added new mission: early game ship terror(one level) with cultists.
Added weapons: axe, spear, dynamite (for cultists use), advanced torpedo launcher with 2 types of ammo, gauss sniper rifle, adanced medikit.
Added new craft: Poseidon (upgraded Triton)
Added 3 new HWPs (reworked new civilian's whitetank).
Added 3 new soldier types: MC-shielded, MC-gifted and cyborgized(improved by implants). Available through research.
Changes in weapons range.
Heavy guns now more heavy. Hydro jet canon now can not fire in aimed mode.
Major changes in research tree.
Small fixes.
Starting new game recommended, but not necessary.

V. 0.4.2:
Integrated new civilian's additional USO maps. Not all of them though.
Added new armor suit - Newtsuit hard armor.
minor fixes.

v.0.4.1:
Slightly changed uso trajectory depths.
Rised USO's fire range an health, but reduced damage. Maybe now you will need to use cannons. Maybe more balancing needed.
Added two new aliens - one really new, one stolen from new_civilian.
fixed monsters mission spawn. I hope it is.
Integrated tyran_nick's Moray mod. But no mag-nav needed, only aquaplastic.
Nerfed Squall accuracy.
Nerfed soldiers statcaps (for the bright future).
Boosted Gauss weapons damage, because it is harder to get them.
Small changes and fixes.

v.0.4:
initial release
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:42:08 am by Nord »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:57:42 pm »
Finally someone to create a bigger mod for TFTD. Kudos!

PS: After OXCE+ reaches non-prototype stage (Q2/2017), I am planning to look at Android support too...

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:16:46 am »
Is this a "X-COM Files/FMP" of TFTD, looking at the second X-COM's origins?

I might have some ideas, if you're interested.

That's a sexy-looking X-COM speargun

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:30:02 am »
After OXCE+ reaches non-prototype stage (Q2/2017), I am planning to look at Android support too...
It will be a magnificent day.

Is this a "X-COM Files/FMP" of TFTD, looking at the second X-COM's origins?

I might have some ideas, if you're interested.

No, not really. I want to focus on giving tftd more... depth.
Ideas can be always discussed.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »
Here's something:
- I always found ridiculous humans can't "fly" (swim) in the water.
- To offset that, humans CAN go 3d, but early on they move slower than the aliens. So the aliens can swim/run rings around you underwater. Its their enviroment.
- Minor thing: I always thought grenades in TFTD are fired by a gauntlet-mounted gas gun. Throwing anim makes no sense. That would be cool to add to new sprites, one day mod the old, maybe.
- Early SORESO missions to get Elerium from underwater UFOs?
- Lasers and above-water guns on the surface! Maybe buff terror aliens in exchange.
- Change Molecular Control? IMHO it being just renamed psi is boring. It should do other things. Like, sap your kinetic energy, putting your TUs to zero. Or disintegrate the weapon in your hand. Or defensive MC that makes your explosives have a chance to explode mid-air. Psi should be X-COM'S thing, but nerfed.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:56:01 pm »
- To offset that, humans CAN go 3d, but early on they move slower than the aliens. So the aliens can swim/run rings around you underwater. Its their enviroment.

Realistic underwater physics is a joke in TFTD but in reality it would be almost impossible to achieve this. In order to be able to walk on the seabed you need weights to provide ballast in order to keep standing and walking. And those same weights would make it impossible to swim. So you'd need a system that would allow both movement modes.

- Minor thing: I always thought grenades in TFTD are fired by a gauntlet-mounted gas gun. Throwing anim makes no sense. That would be cool to add to new sprites, one day mod the old, maybe.

This is similar to the system I conceived for underwater grenades in a TFTD fanfic: the grenade is actually a mounted on a flare case, with a propellant charge on the bottom like compressed air. Point the grenade to where you want it to 'land' (it can either be pointed directly or even using an arc for indirect fire), activate the charge (with different settings for different ranges) and release the grenade.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:37:42 pm »
- I always found ridiculous humans can't "fly" (swim) in the water.
You do not have played mod, are you?
- Early SORESO missions to get Elerium from underwater UFOs?
SORESO will be. Later. I do not know yet how it will look. Need to draw new ship interior, etc.
- Lasers and above-water guns on the surface! Maybe buff terror aliens in exchange.
- Change Molecular Control? IMHO it being just renamed psi is boring. It should do other things. Like, sap your kinetic energy, putting your TUs to zero. Or disintegrate the weapon in your hand. Or defensive MC that makes your explosives have a chance to explode mid-air. Psi should be X-COM'S thing, but nerfed.
Can not be done without OXCE. And yes, i thinked about.

This is similar to the system I conceived for underwater grenades in a TFTD fanfic: the grenade is actually a mounted on a flare case, with a propellant charge on the bottom like compressed air. Point the grenade to where you want it to 'land' (it can either be pointed directly or even using an arc for indirect fire), activate the charge (with different settings for different ranges) and release the grenade.
I can rework sprites. It is easy. Make grenades a "shooting" weapon, that uses nevertheless throwing skill, is also possible only with OXCE. I prefer to greatly decrease throwing range, but it seems hardcoded.

And small preview (sprite for USOPaedia):

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »
Nice pic, very fitting.

As for the grenades, I decided to be less reasonable and make them small mini-torpedoes with cute propellants which you use like self-propelled darts... :) If I ever do anything for TFTD, I mean.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 09:35:10 pm »
Yay, more TFTD mods!

I'm looking forward to this getting OXCE+ support :-)

If you want to have swimming aquanauts and enemies, the most important thing is animations. I've seen the swimming deep ones on Piratez underwater missions, and them "swimming" around looks just too immersion breaking (there is no swimming animation, it just displays the standing sprite moving around).

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »
Version 0.4.1
Changelog:
Slightly changed uso trajectory depths.
Rised USO's fire range an health, but reduced damage. Maybe now you will need to use cannons. Maybe more balancing needed.
Added two new aliens - one really new, one stolen from new_civilian.
fixed monsters mission spawn. I hope it is.
Integrated tyran_nick's Moray mod. But no mag-nav needed, only aquaplastic.
Nerfed Squall accuracy.
Nerfed soldiers statcaps (for the bright future).
Boosted Gauss weapons damage, because it is harder to get them.
Small changes and fixes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:33:34 pm by Nord »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence v.0.4.2
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:38:22 pm »
V. 0.4.2:
Integrated new civilian's additional USO maps. Not all of them though.
Added new armor suit - Newtsuit hard armor.
minor fixes.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence v.0.5
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 01:37:44 pm »
V. 0.5
Added new enemies: cult of sirius with two surface-only units, naga aliens, big polyph.
Added new mission: early game ship terror(one level) with cultists.
Added weapons: axe, spear, dynamite (for cultists use), advanced torpedo launcher with 2 types of ammo, gauss sniper rifle, adanced medikit.
Added new craft: Poseidon (upgraded Triton)
Added 3 new HWPs (reworked new civilian's whitetank).
Added 3 new soldier types: MC-shielded, MC-gifted and cyborgized(improved by implants). Available through research.
Changes in weapons range.
Heavy guns now more heavy. Hydro jet canon now can not fire in aimed mode.
Major changes in research tree.
Small fixes.
Starting new game recommended, but not necessary.

Plans to do: at last draw small drones, add new tier of alien weapons (more powerful than sonic), add three new enemies (new alien race and 2 new terror units). It will be in the near future.
And big work - new maps for new missions (SORESO, ancient horrors, all the stuff). Dont know when...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 10:44:23 pm »
Naga aliens? Hmmmmm.... :)

Pics please :P

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:41:34 am »
Oops, forget to add naga corpse. Fixed. Here some pics:

(Autopsy pic is not what i am proud of, must be redone...)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] World of (terrifying) silence v.0.5.1
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 08:42:34 pm »
Damn it Nord - if I just hadn't come off a TFTD LP, I'd be playing the heck out of this right now!  :)