Author Topic: Can never stay away....  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Gordonmull

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Can never stay away....
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:56:14 pm »
Hi folks. I recently dusted down my OXC restarted a campaign. I've been playing since the late 90s at the tender age of 18 and xcom periodically creeps back into my life. Naturally I gravitated to the forums and was astonished to learn it had been 2 years since 1.0 and it's now considered obsolete compared to the nightlies. Wow, time flies.

With an Avenger being built in the shipyard and Martian Solution under research I'm too far deep into my vanilla 1.0 campaign now to restart but I'm looking forward to trying out the last 2 years of development in an immediate playthrough after this. Maybe on Superhuman for the first time, usually I just pick Vet. In saying that, I've completed xcom and TFTD over and over so maybe I should just abandon this attempt and start again with the latest nightly. What would up to date players do?

Anyway I guess this is just a long winded way to say thank you for what I am about to receive. Highly excited and looking forward to it. If I'm keeping going then I'm getting this 1.0 campaign finished on the double instead of hanging around torturing mutons with mind control  ;D

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Can never stay away....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »
Welcome back, Commander!

Man, if you've not been around for the past two years, you're in for a treat.  There's TFTD support now, and an explosion of modding activity on which to catch up.  First thing I would do is the make a backup of your version 1.0 stuff, then clear out the old executable and files to make room for the nightly so you can take advantage of all the development on top of it.  You should still be able to continue your old save file with the latest, but you should probably check with someone else on compatibility issues; I've been diving into mods too much to give a good answer.

FMP has had quite a few updates over the years, Hobbes' UFO Redux has been renamed Area 51 and is nearing it's 1.0 release, and Solarius Scorch started a new project called X-Com Files to delve even deeper into the origins of X-Com as an organization, and that's not even scratching the surface.  There's Piratez if you want to go really out there on what can be done with total conversion mods too.  So much to do, so much to see, so many aliens to kill!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 06:41:04 pm »
I really want to stress out : Don't just install a second version of OpenXcom in a different directory. Both versions will still share your 'user files', which are stored somewhere in your user account's data files (like the "My Documents" flder). In such case, the most recent OpenXcom would upgrade the files, and then when you run the older OpenXcom later, it would choke on the newer format.
If you want to keep several instances of OpenXcom, make them "portable" by creating a directory called 'user' in each one. https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Installation_FAQ_(OpenXcom)

Offline Gordonmull

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
I didn't manage to complete my veteran playthrough, temptation got the better of me  ::) See that's the problem with forums like these: I innocently fired up xcom just to play a battle, started a campaign and then someone came along handing out sweeties  ;)

I'm still so used to the original broken difficulty that I forget superhuman actually works and I needed to try it. I totally forgot about FMP! That's been going a while now, I'll definitely get that fired up once I've tried the vanilla superhuman. It might be short and sweet because I've included myself as a soldier and if my little avatar dies it's game over. 

I checked out the xcom files and that looks really promising too, thanks for the heads up.