aliens

Author Topic: Is my TFTD campaign a lost cause?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Is my TFTD campaign a lost cause?
« on: November 28, 2016, 08:03:17 am »
So I started this TFTD campaign (Superhuman difficulty, no save scumming) a while back and would like to finish it rather than start over, but I'm wondering at this point my current campaign is a lost cause. Basically I'm stuck.

This was my first go at TFTD and I didn't want to spoil it by knowing the research tree, so I didn't know what to prioritize. Later on I peeked at the tree and realized I'm screwed. I lost my first base earlier in the game which had my Deep One corpses (you need those to progress in research). My second (and now only) base has never had a terror mission with Deep Ones. I'm in October now and I actually never see Gillmen anymore. It's all Lobstermen (F them to hell!!!) and Tasoths, sometimes Aquatoids.

Without armor I'm getting my ass kicked almost every mission, haven't beat an Artifact mission, haven't taken down an alien base and have been losing the last few terror missions too. The fact that I haven't lost the game yet shows how hard it is to lose. I had over negative 1000 for August, but managed to just survive September with -104 (without those 400 bonus points at the end of the month it was Game Over).

So will I ever see Deep Ones again somewhere so I can do the research to get aqua plastics, armor and all that other stuff I need to actually beat the game? They will only show up on a Gillman terror mission, right?

I beat XCOM on Superhuman pretty comfortably, but TFTD has been a huge struggle since the start (my death toll is at 187 and climbing). I miss having effective auto fire weapons.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:08:22 am by Countdown »

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Is my TFTD campaign a lost cause?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:18:43 pm »
You will see deep ones again - but at this point in the game it's more about how the RNG plays out.   In my last TFTD LP - I was doing a full research run and probably went 10 months without seeing any gillmen, but right before I went to T'Leth I got one more gillman Terror mission.

Deep ones will only appear on land, outside of T'Leth, in Gillmen missions, and they might show up in Mixed Crew missions.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Is my TFTD campaign a lost cause?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:02:37 am »
Thanks for the info, going to keep trudging on and see what happens. Although I'm not very optimistic as I just finished October with -1400 points! :(

I was surprised the score was getting so negative. In September I had a passable score despite having a squad wipe on an Artifact mission, a squad wipe on a regular crashed sub mission, and one small sub crash victory. But I guess I detected and shot down a fair number of alien subs even if I didn't do the ground missions because they were Lobstermen.

Then October I (shockingly) beat my terror mission and one other small sub crash, but that was it. I hardly detected any alien subs and the ones I did got away before I could shoot them down. So I assume I lost a ton of points just because the aliens were successful with their missions since I wasn't shooting anything down.

Plus they have at least 5 colonies on the planet now so that's not helping my score either. :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:06:58 am by Countdown »