aliens

Author Topic: cool soldier names  (Read 4089 times)

Offline scyt4l3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
cool soldier names
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:43:19 am »
Hi fellas,

I'm just sweeping in for your suggestions for inspiring soldier names. I usually choose some badass word combos or outright juvenile and offensive combos. I also sometimes choose movie character names such as Ash, Ripley, etc.

I'd like your ideas to spice up my games!

It can be in any language. For starters, one of my favorite name these days is Al Paindurci.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: cool soldier names
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
I use a custom list of names with a combination of my favorite movie/TV characters, famous people from history, pro athletes and friends/family. I prefer this to random names that sound cool, but have no connection to real world or "real" fictional people.

It can create some funny in-game situations that add an extra element of entertainment. Like having "Han Solo" get mind controlled and shoot "Luke Skywalker" in the back. Stuff like that makes it feel like XCOM is trolling me even more and I get a laugh (or cry) out of it.

Offline Skullar

• Sergeant
  • Deranged Angry Mexican Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:41 am »
I make name combos from movies/tv shows/games character names, or I just simply make them up from whichever name comes into my mind. I love giving my soldiers names like "Mark Raynor" (Starcraft), "Barry Gomez", "Jesse Moretto", "Sarah Ripley" (Terminator/Alien combo), "Dom Callahan", "Ian McReady" (the McReady from "the thing"), "Joe Sheppard", "Daniel Jackson" (Stargate)... just to name some of the captains and commanders from my rooster ;)

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
"Ian McReady" (the McReady from "the thing")

Minor correction, his name was RJ Macready in The Thing.  I almost always end up including him at some point.  He actually killed the big brain in my last play through.  Ripley also frequently makes an appearances, and notable marines from Aliens (Apone, Vasquez, Hicks and Hudson).  I usually save those for a few particularly good soldiers.  I liked the nickname system they came up with for xcom 2012 and usually give them names along those lines.  Snipery names for high firing accuracy, heavy type names for high throwing accuracy, etc.  If I get one with high melee accuracy and crappy everything else I'll name them Merrill (swing away, Merrill).  And the total crap soldiers get names like Bait or Pawn

Offline Skullar

• Sergeant
  • Deranged Angry Mexican Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 04:13:13 am »
Minor correction, his name was RJ Macready in The Thing.  I almost always end up including him at some point.

So that's his actual first name in the film? omg I didn't know it!!  :o I just came up naming him Ian because on the credits he's only listed as McReady, now I know his true name, thanks!  ;D

He actually killed the big brain in my last play through.

That is so insanely badass  8)