aliens

Author Topic: Dos version  (Read 10755 times)

Offline crab02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Dos version
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:36:09 am »
hi
in download alot of platforms, but can i get Openxcom on dos?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dos version
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:22:55 am »
There is probably a version of SDL1.2 for DOS out there somewhere... doubt it would perform well though.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:22 am »
So probably, if you can get the source code to compile with the proper libraries for you DOS machine.

Offline crab02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:34:47 am »
So probably, if you can get the source code to compile with the proper libraries for you DOS machine.

it is hard for me, yesterday spent the whole evening and dont wokr at Dos

There is probably a version of SDL1.2 for DOS out there somewhere... doubt it would perform well though.

search on forum dont find it

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:43:16 am »
Maybe there's a big misunderstanding here somewhere... why do you even need it for DOS?
What device do you want to play it on, and what operating system does it have?

Offline crab02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:30:38 pm »
Maybe there's a big misunderstanding here somewhere... why do you even need it for DOS?
What device do you want to play it on, and what operating system does it have?

old asus pocket pc on Windows Mobile,
normal windows application dont work on Windows Mobile,
i have installed dosbox on it, and all time before im play vanilla version xcom-ufodefence for dos

about project openxcom i know for a long time, and trying to play it on my pocke pc but without result,
and now i found this site and forum, and start trying to do version for dos reading "install guide" but nothing succeeded

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:33:01 pm »
What you need is a Windows CE / Windows Mobile build.
I don't know if there are developers here who potentially have the right tools for this.

These little machines are not as powerful as modern desktops, so there could be some small performance issues, particularly :
- the initial loading
- line-of-sight checks (I think it's been recently improved)
But I did test OpenXcom on a PC of year 2000, I can confirm it was perfectly playable.

Offline crab02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
What you need is a Windows CE / Windows Mobile build.
I don't know if there are developers here who potentially have the right tools for this.

Windows CE / Windows Mobile build will be great, but if no chance to get it, dos build enough for me

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »
DOS build is simply impossible, because SDL doesn't exist for it.

Have you looked into "Pocket UFO" ? it is an old version of the original game, which was adapted especially for Windows Mobile, with a vertical screen interface. It's completely unrelated to openxcom, so don't expect to have all the improvements and mods of openxcom, or support of Terror From the Deep. But it may be a much more comfortable way to play UFO game on your device.
https://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html
If you test it, can you please share your experience here? (what your machine is, how well PocketUFO runs, etc). Pocket PCs are uncommon, and even more rarely used as hand-held game consoles, I think a lot of people would be curious about this piece of XCOM history.

Offline crab02

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »
DOS build is simply impossible, because SDL doesn't exist for it.

Have you looked into "Pocket UFO" ? it is an old version of the original game, which was adapted especially for Windows Mobile, with a vertical screen interface. It's completely unrelated to openxcom, so don't expect to have all the improvements and mods of openxcom, or support of Terror From the Deep. But it may be a much more comfortable way to play UFO game on your device.
https://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html
If you test it, can you please share your experience here? (what your machine is, how well PocketUFO runs, etc). Pocket PCs are uncommon, and even more rarely used as hand-held game consoles, I think a lot of people would be curious about this piece of XCOM history.

pocket pc have horizontal view, through dosbox I play in horizontal view

ofc i play Pocket UFO, and play alot, this version have alot of bugs,
invisible enemy,  teleported beyond the borders of tactical map, enemy bases in water and crashing game when you try attack it, once enemy corpse start moving and fight never end, if you mindcontroled 1 hex of cyberdisck other 3 hex count last one licke enemy and they start to kill himself, if you do multiple missions without return to base you ammo starting  not to spend, and most epic bug - aliens cant open door -defensing of the base is a peace a cake, all door at base automatic closes at end of turn

in my opinion it done on 70%

that because i play dos version through dosbox on my pocket pc
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:05:44 pm by crab02 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 10:08:15 pm »
There is a port of SDL1.2 for Pocket PC if anyone has the tools to try it out: https://emreburhan.com/blog/?p=159