aliens

Author Topic: Human Commander No limit,seventh rank,selectable promotions.  (Read 6073 times)

Offline KOYK

• Sergeant
  • To walk a fine line
    • View Profile
Human Commander No limit,seventh rank,selectable promotions.
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:33 am »
Hi! to the point

More than one Human commander.military bases have commanders,in x-com you don't have one base but many,i believe that having more than one commander is appropriate and realistic,and basically bad ass...you know that heavy voiced dude who never crouch when artillery shells fall around him.

Seventh rank,The One General.well that solves the limit of the commander,and allows you to have base commanders in your bases,and a general in your H.Q.
and is more realistic.

Selectable promotions!! well i never liked that my virtual self never gets the rank it deserves...i mean I RUN the operation here! not that random dude.

And by the way do you remember that soldier? the one who saved the mission? well he earned a promotion in my mind but not in the game,and that sucks!
It sucks that the other guy missed three shots and failed to cover the team! i want to demote him! and force him to "get better" (a possible bonus when you demote some one? and some trade off? like lower his moral permanently until next level? or something like that)

So what do you say? Good idea? bad idea? well i hope the devs or a modder can add it.Sorry for my English
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:27:15 am by KOYK »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Human Commander No limit,seventh rank,selectable promotions.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:57 pm »
What if you transfer your Commander to another base?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:30:58 pm »
It would seem pretty simple to mod the game and, say, get rid of rookies (everyone starts as a squaddie, as soldiers probably should, move every rank down by one and create the general rank at the top.

Instead of:
Commander
Colonel
Captain
Sergeant
Squaddie
Rookie

You get:
General
Commander
Colonel
Captain
Sergeant
Squaddie

I'm not exactly sure what the numbers of "Colonels per Captains", "Captains per Sergeants", "Sergeants per Squaddies" actually are, but this would certainly enable more than 1 Commander and only 1 General. I'm just not sure you'd have enough to get 1 commander per base.

Offline KOYK

• Sergeant
  • To walk a fine line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:38:12 pm »
What if you transfer your Commander to another base?
i guess i didn't think that,and as far as i know you can't force him to stay.so it will be kind of cheating..damit

It would seem pretty simple to mod the game and, say, get rid of rookies (everyone starts as a squaddie, as soldiers probably should, move every rank down by one and create the general rank at the top.
Nice idea Arthanor! i might do it for a mini mod.

But guys,what about Selectable promotions,any thoughts about that?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »
For sure, it's just that it's been mentioned so many times that we didn't care to respond to it. It's something everyone things of yet nobody has cared to implement (probably because it doesn't have enough gameplay impact).

Offline KOYK

• Sergeant
  • To walk a fine line
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:07 pm »
For sure, it's just that it's been mentioned so many times that we didn't care to respond to it. It's something everyone things of yet nobody has cared to implement (probably because it doesn't have enough gameplay impact).

oh,well good to know,i hope my post was the final straw and the devs give up and add it :p

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:43 am »
I'm pretty sure pro/demoting with effect on stats is already doable. Just not via the ingame GUI.

Hint: Savegames are plain yaml files ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 01:41:50 am »
I certainly wouldn't want a hand in promotions. It's partially because I don't want yet another thing to worry about, but the main reason is that I enjoy watching who gets promoted and who doesn't... Deciding this would kill a lot of excitement for me.

Offline KOYK

• Sergeant
  • To walk a fine line
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure pro/demoting with effect on stats is already doable. Just not via the ingame GUI.

Hint: Savegames are plain yaml files ;)

well that is a good alternative! thanks for the info.

Offline KOYK

• Sergeant
  • To walk a fine line
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 01:16:49 pm »
I certainly wouldn't want a hand in promotions. It's partially because I don't want yet another thing to worry about, but the main reason is that I enjoy watching who gets promoted and who doesn't... Deciding this would kill a lot of excitement for me.

even if it comes with an option to toggle it off?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 10:25:03 am »

Well, if you know (even only roughly) what the criteria for promotion are, then you can predict very accurately who gets promoted.
Not much excitement after that.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »
Well, if you know (even only roughly) what the criteria for promotion are, then you can predict very accurately who gets promoted.
Not much excitement after that.

Well, there's a reason why you don't want to mod AI yourself. :)
That's why I never checked how it works exactly... Though it probably depends on stat gains, kills and such, and I don't really remember such things for every soldier. Maybe roughly, but that's OK.
Designing a new promotion mechanics would be fascinating though. ;)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:23:26 am »
This is my feeling as well, I really enjoying not picking the promotions and seeing which soldier will happen to end up as the leaders for a new campaign.

But I can see why others would prefer to choose their own promotions and no harm if it were to eventually become a mod or "option."

Designing a new promotion mechanics would be fascinating though. ;)
I wish lower ranked soldiers could get promoted over a higher ranked soldier if the lower ranked soldier is better (stats, kills, etc). Sometimes it's lame if for example there is an opening for a Colonel and you only have one Captain, then that soldier is promoted by default even if there is a Sergeant that is better. Often that early game soldier gets the Commander job in the end just because they were the first to get promoted (and live) out of a small batch.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:26:25 am by Countdown »