aliens

Author Topic: Help with running TFTD  (Read 3920 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Help with running TFTD
« on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:30 am »
I just got OpenXcom 1.0 and added the newest nightly to it (10-27-2016).
I followed the instructions to put the game data in the respective folders (UFO and TFTD).

Started the game and it worked fine, but there was no option to choose to run TFTD instead. So I looked at the readme file and it suggested making a shortcut with -data <folder> to choose the proper place.

But when I ran the new TFTD shortcut all it did was load the standard UFO version (which ran fine as far as choosing the first base).

So... how do I get this to work?

Comp:
2Gb Ram
Windows 7
OpenGL 1.4

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Help with running TFTD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 04:46:57 am »
First off, the instructions aren't clear on this, but you can't mix 1.0 and the latest releases.  If you want to run TFTD (and therefore need something newer than 1.0), you have to completely remove any 1.0 installation.  If you don't, it will prevent you from running a recent nightly.  So, I'd suggest removing all of the OpenXcom files from your computer, then re-install just the nightly and try from there.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:28:41 am »
Thats still confusing.
You're suggesting that the Nightly is capable of being run by itself?
I noticed the .exe is near 10mb which I guess means all those other files could have been packed into it.

Like a good boy I didn't use the installers, I just copied files to a folder.
I removed the v1.0 files but it didnt change anything.

Also in the startup sequence it said it was running git 10-27-2016

Edit:
Actually to +1 over this I renamed the UFO directory just to check if it was looking there, and I ran the TFTD shortcut as before and it said it couldnt load the game because an xcom install wasnt found (would run normally if the UFO directory was named as such)

so it is DEFINITELY not using the -data switch!!!

I have no real interest in running UFO Defense for various reasons.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:43:36 am by RSSwizard »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:14:30 am »
Currently the Nightly installer will find your TftD files for you if you have them installed on your system.  Try running it from the installer. 

Also, you can check out the install tutorial video, we cover installing both games and launching OpenTftD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1WUpX9n7gY

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:00:02 am »
@ivan thanks but I don't have them installed, I have copies of the dos games zipped.

I just figured out how to get it running from the post on ufopaedia, sorry for the trouble. I figured it would probably be in the Options but I missed it at first.