aliens

Author Topic: OpenXCom - standard - xcom1 - difficulty.rul - damageRange  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
OpenXCom - standard - xcom1 - difficulty.rul - damageRange
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:25:42 pm »
Hello.

I've found that in the difficulty.rul (OpenXCom/standard/xcom1) there are three types of damage-ranges:
Code: [Select]
constants:
  - damageRange: 100
  - explosiveDamageRange: 50
  - fireDamageRange: [5, 10]

I haven't found anything in the ruleset references (nightlies) over at UFOPaedia.com about these.

Are these the only three types of damageRange that can be set in a ruleset-file?

I assume damageRange is for all direct fire weapons/bullets, explosiveDamageRange is for all grenades, proxies and HE rounds in weapons while fireDamageRange is for all incendiary damage.

What damageRange influences smoke, melee and acid?
Is it possible to set a smokeDamageRange (same format as fireDamageRange, to set the amount of stun-damage taken from smoke)?
Would it be possible to have one unique damageRange for each damageType exposed to a ruleset-file?

PS!
I am experimenting with setting damageRange and explosiveDamageRange to 20 right now. Just trying to make damage a little bit more reliable. What I want is no more early-game "plasma-to-the-face" heroes surviving when hit by enemies. Also, to make it necessary with better weaponry to pierce the armour of armoured enemies (after all, a standard Rifle CAN do up to 60 AP damage - worst/best case scenario).

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: OpenXCom - standard - xcom1 - difficulty.rul - damageRange
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:54 am »
damageRange: Percentage of the Range of damage a normal weapon can do.
Example: Normal Rifle Base Damage 30, damageRange: 100 -> Actual Damage from 0 - 60.

explosiveDamageRange: Percentage of the Range of damage a explosive can do.
Example: Normal Grenade Base Damage: 50, explosiveDamageRange: 50 -> Actual Damage from 25 - 75.

fireDamageRange: Amount of Damage fire can do if a unit burns, default 5 to 10 damage per turn burning.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:27:26 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:26:43 am »
I am experimenting with setting damageRange and explosiveDamageRange to 20 right now. Just trying to make damage a little bit more reliable. What I want is no more early-game "plasma-to-the-face" heroes surviving when hit by enemies. Also, to make it necessary with better weaponry to pierce the armour of armoured enemies (after all, a standard Rifle CAN do up to 60 AP damage - worst/best case scenario).

These variables influence this behaviour. If you set damageRange to 20 a Normal Rifle will do between: 24 - 36 Damage. The maximum of 60 is then gone.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:43 pm »
@hellrazor
Thanks for the info. Then I'm on the right track. Good to know.

I'm a bit confused about the fire-damage, though.
I thought that the listed damage values were the ones inflicted on impact from incendiaries (AC-I, HC-I and Incendiary Rockets).
Are you saing the damage rolls (from 5 to 10) are for each turn on fire?
Then what is the damage done on impact?
Where is that listed?

I am of the impression the damage-value (power) for incendiaries only determines the blast-radius of the explosion, not the actual damage done. Am I wrong?

Also, the question remains: Does it exist a [damageType]DamageRange for all damage-types? Or is it possible to make it so, one way or another?

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:15 pm »
A lot of this is due to OpenXcom re-implementing the original game's mechanisms, so you may want to refer to the Ufopaedia site, which documents a lot of it.
ex: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Incendiary
Note, however, that the original game had plenty of huge bugs. OpenXcom tries to follow the spirit, while fixing the bugs (ex: no "funky fire", as described on Ufopaedia)
You got it right, incendiary Power serves only to determine the radius/shape of the blast. (like smoke)
The 5-10 (?) damage gets applied immediately to whoever is caught in flaming blast, and also once per turn when in flames / standing on a flaming tile.

To answer your other question: I don't think so. These variables are only designed to allow replicate the settings of UFO and TFTD, and these only need "one value for HE" and "one other value for all non-HE damages"

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 11:39:01 pm »
@hellrazor
Thanks for the info. Then I'm on the right track. Good to know.

No Problem.

I'm a bit confused about the fire-damage, though.
I thought that the listed damage values were the ones inflicted on impact from incendiaries (AC-I, HC-I and Incendiary Rockets).
Are you saing the damage rolls (from 5 to 10) are for each turn on fire?

For burning units, yes.

Then what is the damage done on impact?
Where is that listed?

That depends on the power value of the weapon. The damage range on impact is low 0 - 10, at least according to the ufopaedia. The Damage is mainly done once a unit catches fire and starts burning.

I am of the impression the damage-value (power) for incendiaries only determines the blast-radius of the explosion, not the actual damage done. Am I wrong?

It also determines the radius yes, but the weapon power value also determines the firedamage done against ground tiles, which might then start to burn for some time and even spread, very good lightsources.

Also, the question remains: Does it exist a [damageType]DamageRange for all damage-types? Or is it possible to make it so, one way or another?

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Good question, I don't know sorry. Maybe Warboy or SupSuper could answer that.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:45:25 am »
Hello.

@hellrazor and @yrizoud: Thanks for taking the time to lead me on the right track.

I especially found this part of the UFOPaedia interesting:
Code: [Select]
Initial "impact" damage from incendiary ammunition is either for no points (unit does not catch fire), or between 5-10 points (unit catches fire).
Since the distribution is randomly chosen from the set [ 0, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ] (seven values), the probability of remaining unharmed is 14% (1/7),
while there is an 86% chance (6/7) a unit will take some damage. The average damage is 6.4.

This means, if I'm not mistaken, that if a unit doesn't catch on fire it doesn't take any damage from incendiary weapon impact.
Also, by manipulating the fireDamageRange I can actually decide what the chances for catching fire will be. This opens up possibilities.
fireDamageRange [5] means it's a 50/50 chance of catching on fire, with a certain (and, thus, average damage of five (5) if the unit does - or an overall average of 2.5 damage taken when hit). If I set it to fireDamageRange[1,9] it will only be a 10% chance of not catching on fire. With an average of (9+1)/2 = five (5) damage done if on fire. And an overall average of (0+9)/2 = 4.5 damage done if hit...  ;D  ... hmmm...   :o 8)  This I have to play around with ...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:47:20 am by Kjotleik »