Author Topic: Can you turtle in this game?  (Read 7626 times)

Offline vassock

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Can you turtle in this game?
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:40 am »
Just wondering if it's possible to turtle in this game. I played Xenonauts and really liked it, except for two things:

1. You had to overextend yourself to keep world opinion positive. Otherwise, you lost funding and lost since government funding was pretty much the only source of income.

2. What really did it for me is encountering one of the boss characters which could apparently cause half your squad to randomly go crazy and become unusable.

How does openXcom compare?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Can you turtle in this game?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:09 am »
1. You had to overextend yourself to keep world opinion positive. Otherwise, you lost funding and lost since government funding was pretty much the only source of income.
AFAIK, you can't loose Russia, so the game could go on indefinitely. And when placing 4 fusion defenses with a grav shield and a mind shield in each base, you are mostly secure from retaliation missions. (However, it gets kind of annoying, once every base is under constant attack, as they mostly fail at the approach and just come over and over again.)
2. What really did it for me is encountering one of the boss characters which could apparently cause half your squad to randomly go crazy and become unusable.
Well, it's kind of similar with Ethereals, at the beginning... And also Sectoid leaders will give you a run for your money. But eventually you will have their abilities as well, so at the end of the day, it's only a matter of not loosing every base and not making negative balance twice in a row. That are the two things, that could make you loose.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:53:30 pm »
(However, it gets kind of annoying, once every base is under constant attack, as they mostly fail at the approach and just come over and over again.)

This was a bug in the original, fixed in OXC - once the battleship that's attacking your base is destroyed or lands to do the base assault, the aliens consider that mission 'complete,' and it'll be a while before they have another go at it.

To avoid failing the game by negative score, you have to counteract enough alien activity with scoring of your own, and that means getting enough radar coverage to see what they're doing, i.e. building more bases for radar.  Usually it only takes a few ground missions and not failing a terror site, and your base's don't often get attacked unless you're shooting down their UFOs.  So turtling is a fine option.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:57:11 pm »
I'm not sure, as I never tried it out: Can you actually loose by having to much negative score? Or does that only make countries drop from the X-COM project?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
Yep, but it's difficult to do unless you just fast forward time doing nothing.  I think it take multiple months of lower than -500 score on Superhuman, even more lenient on lower difficulties.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »
If you've never played (the original) UFO/TFTD, I recommend you reload save games when you see a catastrophe happen. If you don't, you quickly run out of money, soldiers and equipment, and it's a situation you'll never recover from anyway, even if the "Game Over" screen is still months away.

In any case, in OpenXcom you're expected to choose your battles : It's tempting to try attack everything to maximize income, material and combat experience, but you should always remember that no battle is mandatory, and even mid-battle, retreat is possible.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:50:01 pm »
Just FYI, completed research also generates some points.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:32:46 pm »
Yep, but it's difficult to do unless you just fast forward time doing nothing.  I think it take multiple months of lower than -500 score on Superhuman, even more lenient on lower difficulties.

It's two months regardless of difficulty, but what is considered low depends on difficulty. I think on beginner it's -1000, while on Superhuman anything lower than -400 is bad. But generally, breaking even is pretty easy.

Offline vassock

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 07:53:30 am »
Is it possible to have a profit from base production alone?

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 08:41:19 am »

More than enough to make money meaningless.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:48:34 pm »
At least from mid game on. Once you can produce laser cannons or fusion ball launchers, money shouldn't be an issue. That's also, why you are not depending on the countries funding that much. That's only an issue during early game, where you can't make much profit from production as you haven't got the really profitable items researched, yet.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:58:13 pm »
I'm not sure, as I never tried it out: Can you actually loose by having to much negative score? Or does that only make countries drop from the X-COM project?

There are 4 ways of losing:
* Having a negative score for 2 consecutive months (dependent on the difficulty, starting on 900 for easy and 500 for superhuman)
* Having twice a negative money balance on the monthly, regardless of if it is on consecutive months or not
* Losing all your bases
* Losing the Cydonia mission

Yes if you mass manufacture and sell Fusion Ball Launchers or Laser Cannons. Those two are the most profitable items you can manufacture and sell. A pair of workshops fully staffed and only manufacturing either item will give you a net profit of roughly 4.3 million per month, with the engineer salaries and facility maintenance costs included. At the beginning of the game Motion Scanners are the best thing to do this, since they can give you a 1.3 million profit.

Add sales of recovered loot and you can stop relying on Council funding for your activities. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:05:04 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »
This was a bug in the original, fixed in OXC - once the battleship that's attacking your base is destroyed or lands to do the base assault, the aliens consider that mission 'complete,' and it'll be a while before they have another go at it.

Nope.
They still come in an endless loop in OXC if you just keep destroying them with base defenses.

This was fixed in OXCE+ (by giving modders a possibility to specify a chance to stop being so stubborn).

* Having twice a negative money balance on the monthly, regardless of if it is on consecutive months or not

This is also not true in OXC.
It must be consecutive months for the balance check (more than 1M debt) too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:37:46 pm by Meridian »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »
So I remembered that one correctly. I don't play that way any more, as it's usually less of a hassle, to simply live through the experience of base defense than having to click away that OK-box over and over again.

The_Funktasm

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 05:32:28 am »
A small amount of turtling is unavoidable during slow months. One can also rig this a bit by ensuring dogfight wins are over the ocean. Also of note is that even if every civilian dies at a terror site, winning badly is still better for scoring than never actually showing up or losing outright.