Author Topic: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (an awesome modification of the OpenXcom game)  (Read 109632 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »
CanadianBeaver, in your readme you state that you are looking for a good freeware yaml editor. I am using Notepad++, it is great.

For sprite-editing i prefer Aseprite, the 1.0+ releases are no longer freeware, but look if you can find the 0.95 release, it's free and fully operational (minus some missing features)

hf
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:28:35 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 01:36:17 pm »
For sprite-editing i prefer Aseprite, the 1.0+ releases are no longer freeware, but look if you can find the 0.95 release, it's free and fully operational (minus some missing features)
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2676.0.html full thread ablaut this.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
new_civilian, thank you for sharing your experience. But, be aware that I am working on Debian. Fortunately, I have solved all problems with software. I am used to working with Sublime Text, this editor is great. I found out how to use GIMP and GrafX2 for OpenXcom during developing Awesome Guns modification. Now I have to solve only the translation and testing problems.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:04:51 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 07:23:15 am »
The new release was issued. Changes in version 1.2:
  • the requirements of converted weapon arsenal have been increased
  • the compatible with nightly version has been increased
  • the damage for Elerium clips was balanced
  • a few images were corrected
Download this release

Offline Sputnik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 08:49:26 am »
Thank you so much for keeping up with your awesome mod!
But still, could you please make a stand-alone mod with cities compatible to noghtlies?

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 09:20:25 am »
Thank you so much for keeping up with your awesome mod!
But still, could you please make a stand-alone mod with cities compatible to noghtlies?

I will think about. Unfortunately, now there is no possibility for test it, because nightly version does not work on my Debian.

Offline ThirtyFour

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 04:32:57 am »
This is the best mod for xcom that I've played. You very clearly have an attention to detail and there is excellent balance between the weapons and game functions you've added. I really like that you've measured ammo counts to keep things balanced and the quick draw inventory slot was a very good idea that has me using pistols for about the first time ever. I hope to see more work from you soon.

How do I begin helping with the translation errors and typos?

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 08:04:46 am »
This is the best mod for xcom that I've played. You very clearly have an attention to detail and there is excellent balance between the weapons and game functions you've added. I really like that you've measured ammo counts to keep things balanced and the quick draw inventory slot was a very good idea that has me using pistols for about the first time ever. I hope to see more work from you soon.

ThirtyFour, Thank you for your compliments. I always try to perform the best details in this game. How you can see on this page, I keep working to improve Awesome Guns modification. If you have any new great ideas, please feel free to inform me about.

About translation

Awesome Guns modification is a multilingual project. English, Russian and some Polish articles have been implemented. You can help to translate Awesome Guns modification into other languages. In addition, you can improve the current articles in English.

How can you do it?

1. You can fork the Awesome Gun modification on github, make translation on GitHub and do the pull request to the Awesome Gun modification project. International articles can be found at the end of https://github.com/CanadianBeaver/AwesomeGuns/blob/master/Ruleset/AwesomeGuns.rul.

2. You can download the Awesome Gun modification and make translation on your desktop and send a copy to me. International articles can be found at the end of Ruleset/AwesomeGuns.rul file.

3. If you are not comfortable to work with YAML syntax, I can prepare text files with articles for you to translate. After that, you can send me the final result.

I will be very happy with your help. Thank you in advance.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:35 am »
Hey!  Current curator of Weapon Rework and Expansion here!  I just noticed that you're using some of the resources from the mod (and some of the unique content I created for it!)  I'm happy you thought highly enough of it to include it in your mod ^^

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:03 pm »

I have created the translation project on the transifex.com: https://www.transifex.com/awesome-guns/awesome-guns/. I think this way is much better.

Remark: let the translation from English [source language] to English (United States) will be used for correcting mistakes in the English game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:07:29 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 05:22:02 pm »
Hey!  Current curator of Weapon Rework and Expansion here!  I just noticed that you're using some of the resources from the mod (and some of the unique content I created for it!)  I'm happy you thought highly enough of it to include it in your mod ^^

Yes, this is true. The X-Com Weapon Rework and Expansion - 0.8.5 mod had a huge impact to my creation. Second was the XenoOperations. I used images for templates of conventional and alien weapon, because the graphics is look perfect in these two mods. Thank you for sharing this.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:10 pm »
Yes, this is true. The X-Com Weapon Rework and Expansion - 0.8.5 mod had a huge impact to my creation. Second was the XenoOperations. I used images for templates of conventional and alien weapon, because the graphics is look perfect in these two mods. Thank you for sharing this.

If you like the 0.8.5 version (which I believe was the last version the original creator made) you should check out the 1.4 version.  There's some more stuff in it you might want to look at/include.  Good luck with your mod!

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »
I would like to announce that additional modification, AwesomeGuns.Laser has been updated to new 1.3 version.

In new version all images have been improved.
Also, weight and damage of laser weapons were balanced.

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/awesome-guns-laser
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:26:56 am by CanadianBeaver »

Offline Sputnik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (The new release is out today)
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:46 pm »
Excuse my stupid question, is this Grand release works on Nightlies or still the last stable version needed?

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (The new release is out today)
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2016, 04:33:28 am »
Excuse my stupid question, is this Grand release works on Nightlies or still the last stable version needed?

Sputnik, thank you for your "stupid" question. Be aware, that this question is not stupid and I realize importance of this question.

Spoiler:
How you know, the Awesome Guns modifications has been developed and tested for the OpenXcom 1.0 game that is perfectly done, works great and has predictable behaviour. The main ideas of Awesome Guns modifications are: improving the visualization without compromises and highest stability in limits of the original game plot.

Unfortunately, the realization of these ideas for OpenXcom nightly is not easy. Awesome Guns modification is a project powered by a very small team and depends on people volunteering time. The time is an expensive resource and spending it for unstable and each-week-changed version of the OpenXcom game is not a good idea. I do not say, that Awesome Guns modification does not work on nightly version. Also, I do not say, that Awesome Guns modification have not been tested on nightly version. I say that Awesome Guns modification has been tested much better for OpenXcom 1.0 version and Awesome Guns modification cannot realize all their potential on nightly version. For example, the melee attack on stable version offers 10 frames instead of nightly that offers just 4 frames, therefore the reaper, silacoid and chrysalid attacks look much better on 1.0 version. Although the nightly version offers some new features in manufacturing and combats, it is not enough for losing the stability and persistency.

Will you be happy if I tell you that The Awesome Guns modification works on nightly version, except the new cities on the globe?