Author Topic: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (an awesome modification of the OpenXcom game)  (Read 109636 times)

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
Awesome Guns
an awesome modification of the OpenXcom game

If you like the original plot of the X-COM game, this modification offers the best opportunity. Awesome Guns is an awesome modification of the X-COM game with a minimal change of original game's idea and full visualization improvement!

Web: http://canadianbeaver.github.io/AwesomeGuns/

The main ideas of development
  • Do only the necessary changes. This modification is not a dump of different other mods.
  • It should work on Windows and Linux without problems.
  • The stable version of OpenXcom (1.0) should remain stable and playable - this is the main point.
  • The main scenario and plot of the game should not be changed.
  • Aircrafts and weapons should be balanced and a little difficult to use.
  • Alien technologies cannot be reproduced, therefore alien items cannot be manufactured.
  • Alien weapons are controlled by mind and cannot be used in the combats.
  • Fortunately, alien weapons and items can be redone and used in different cases.
  • Conventional weapons should be suitable as long as possible.
  • Realistic balance of manufacturing, aircraft dogfights, combats and alien's protection.
Implementation
  • Improve the visualization without compromises.
    Be aware, that all introduced images, sounds and ideas were checked and corrected. Weapons and animation, shooting sounds and effects have been improved. Moreover, the process of improvement will continue...
  • Let be more different pistols, rifles, even grenade launchers and more different types of guns in the combats.
  • Also, let the soldiers use different armours with different colours and possibilities.
  • Moreover, let be more explosives in in the battles, more incendiary weapons and more smoke.
  • IRONMAN? - Pourquoi pas? Let's play hard and without saving. À la guerre comme à la guerre.

Starting Base and facilities

Layout of facilities on the starting base has been improved for better defence. Range of radars were balanced for aircrafts and facilities. Also, the construction of facilities was balanced. The alien containment depends on Alien Biology (an autopsy of any alien is necessary). There is the possibility of buying the motion scanner, small first aid kits and different vests in the beginning of the game. And a small gift - there is a Tank/Cannon on the starting base which can be turn into a Tank/Laser later.

Aircrafts and cannons

Aircrafts and cannons were rebalanced - defence of standard interceptor and homing of rockets have been decreased. New improved interceptor (RAVEN) with a great defence and with increased radar range was implemented. In addition, the Lightning image has been enhanced. Existing cannons were redesigned. Some launchers and cannons were added.

Conventional weapons

Awesome Guns modification implements a lot of new guns and items. There are the machine pistol, sniper rifle, a lot of shotguns, grenade launcher with different type of grenades and armor-penetrating rocket which can ruin UFO wall. Moreover, incendiary grenades, medi chests and motion scanners are available from beginning. Also, the assault rifles and thunderbolt (a heavy sniper rifle) can be researched after alien alloys.

The bullets are not an exception - improved clips can be manufactured from alien alloys, alien corpses and Elerium. All these and many other items and weapons give an unforgettable experience.

Laser weapons
The laser technology can be researched after Elerium and UFO power source. Unfortunately, the laser weapon overheats and cannot fire auto shots. Fortunately, the laser weapon is very accurate. Also, the laser shotgun has a great power.

Alien weapons
The alien weapons were completely redisigned. Now these guns look really like extraterrestrial weapons. Moreover, the hand's and floor's images, the sound's files and hit animation were improved.

Even though alien weapon cannot be used by humans, alien weapon can be converted for using in the combats. These weapons were redisigned also and look pretty good.

Melee combat

Are you ready for a face-to-face duels? Awesome Guns modification offers four types of melee weapons with different abilities and technologies.

Sounds and effects
Awesome Guns modification introduces a lot of high-quality sounds and visual effects. Sound effects of aircraft missiles, human and alien weapons, attacks and hits were improved. Moreover, the different types of melee animations have been implemented.

Armours
New vests are allowed to buy at beginning of the game. Also, new armours can be researched after alien alloys. Awesome Guns modification implements different types of armours with different colours and possibilities. There are armours for scouts, snipers and heavy gun soldiers. The inventory and combats images have been corrected.

Inventory screen
Inventory has been redeveloped. New quick-draw and breast sections were implemented. Shifting items between hand and holster is more quickly.

Warning: Awesome Guns modification can be incompatible with original OpenXcom saved files, because inventory is redone. To avoid problems with previous saved files your soldiers should be stripped before saving, at least the right shoulder, right leg, left shoulder, left leg, and belt must be empty.

Research

Research in the Awesome Guns modification conducts four sections: Biology, Aircrafts and conventional weapons, Laser weapons and Alien weapons. These implementations give a lot of different guns and items.

Manufacture

Some of manufacturing were changed and were balanced. There are new production processes. New items, new type of bullets and weapons were introduced. Production of laser weapons has been changed (now it consumes Elerium). Human tanks can be turned one into another one (Tank/Laser can be modified as Tank/Cannon, Tank/Cannon as Tank/Rocket). Alien items and weapons cannot be manufactured but can be converted into other items and more other.

Additional changes

Awesome Guns modification implements a lot of minor changes. These changes make the OpenXcom game more interesting and more exciting. Some of changes improved the game and corrected unimportant mistakes, some of changes have been implemented just for fun.
Continue reading...

Installation
  • Download the OpenXcom game and install it. Be aware, OpenXcom game requires a vanilla version of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown. If you do not own a copy, you can buy it from one of these retailers.
  • Download the Data Patch and install it.
  • Download the latest release of the Awesome Guns modification and extract files and folders.
  • Copy the extracted Ruleset/AwesomeGuns.rul file into your openxcom/data/Ruleset folder.
  • Copy the extracted Resources/AwesomeGuns folder into your openxcom/data/Resources folder.
  • Switch off all mods and extensions, especially UFOextender and XcomUtil.
If you prefer playing the Awesome Guns modification on OpenXcom Nightly, then this patch can solve the compatibility problems. Also, the name of installed folder should be AwesomeGuns, please check it on OpenXcom Nightly before playing.

Compatible mods

I avoid making changes in alien's missions or UFOs so far. There are a few mods for improving alien behaviour and they work fine with my creation. I recommend to use these mods:

Credits & Thanks

I got images and ideas from many mods. Following mods have influenced:

Weapon Rework/Expansion - templates for conventional weapon
    XenoOperations - the biggest special thanks to XOps who is the author and who allowed me to use images of plasma weapon
    Robin's Extra Weapons - images for machine pistol and sniper rifle
    Railgun - images and idea
    Improved Hand Objects - the small images for hands objects
    Lukes Inventory Images - alien images
    Advanced Medikit - image for medi chest
    NewTUReserveUI - image for control panel
    2012DeathSounds - sound files
    Raven - new improved interceptor
    CraftMissleSound - sound files
    Doom_Skill_Levels - just for fun
    GrenadeLauncher - nice launcher for beginning
    Incendiary grenade - images
    EqualTerms1.03 - images for sniper rifle
    WolframLance - images for rockets
    Ryskeliini_GunsNGadgets_1st_pack_v12 - sound files
    OpticalEleriumV0-94b - image for laser cannon
    Air Combat Rebalanced - idea and balancing values
    Better look personal armor - images for heavy armour
    Grey armored vest - images for light vest
    Scout Power Armor - images for light and flying armour
    Quick-Draw Hip Slot - idea
    Reproduction - implementation
    FastRamp - implementation
    HQSounds_FinalModPack - sound files
    Stun Grenade - idea and images
    Alternative Smoke - image

If I have forgotten someone, please let me know.

Enjoy your time!

Play and be involved. Please, visit the Awesome Guns website for more details.

Awesome Guns is licensed under
Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0

Download the latest release of the Awesome Guns modification

Spoiler Previous releases:

Final Release.

This release contains English UFOpaedia's articles changed and corrected.

Download Final Release

Changes in release 1.5:

This release implements increased damage of Laser and Converted weapons and the new smoke cloud's images. Also, the new release introduces the big Laser weapon and the Laser flare. Other changes:

• Using time of the first aid kit has been decreased
  • Hand images of ELECTRO FLARE has been corrected
  • Resistance of Laser weapon has been slightly decreased
  • Damage of Laser weapon has been slightly increased
  • Damage of Converted weapon has been greatly increased
  • Cities have been added on the globe
  • Country’s regions have been corrected
  • Psionic line of fire has been implemented
  • Attraction has been increased twice
  • see all changes
Download release 1.5

Changes in release 1.4:
  • List order of facilities and prices have been corrected
  • Regions of the USA and Canada have been corrected
  • Damage of CONVERTED PLASMA weapon has been increased
  • Reaction fire for launchers was fixed
  • AUTO CANNON has been balanced
  • Some images have been improved
  • see all changes
Download release 1.4

Grand Release. Changes in release 1.3:

This release is result of big rework and improvements. Almost 150 files have been corrected during 100 hour of developing and testing. Major innovations are:
  • All images of conventional, laser, alien and converted weapons have been improved
  • Some images of items and grenades have been corrected.
  • New type of weapon (melee weapon) has been implemented.
    There are knife, plasma blade, stun rod and a little surprise from a faraway distant galaxy - Laser Sword.
  • The snap shot was added for some weapons due reaction fire.
  • Prices, weights and sizes of weapons and items have been balanced.
  • Also, manufacturing requirements for converted weapons were balanced.
  • New cannon and launcher have been added to the converted weapons arsenal.
  • Research tree and manufacturing has been adapted due new weapons and items.
  • New cities have been added to the globe. Also, the regions of countries have been corrected.
  • Armor values have been corrected for all weapons and items.
  • Shooting distance of some weapons were balanced.
  • A few articles in UFOpedia were corrected.
  • Some mistakes have been corrected.
  • see all changes
Download release 1.3

Changes in release 1.2:
  • the requirements of converted weapon arsenal have been increased
  • the compatible with nightly version has been increased
  • the damage for Elerium clips was balanced
  • a few images were corrected
Download release 1.2

Changes in release 1.1:
  • Some animation and hit effects have been improved
  • Weight of pistols were balanced
  • Craft weapons were balanced
  • Installation instruction has been expanded
Download release 1.1

First Release

After three months of developing I would like to introduce first release of my modification.

Download First Release
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 04:38:02 am by CanadianBeaver »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:49:26 pm »
Source code on github and comprehensive and nicely formatted documentation? You're my new favourite modder! Good job.

Offline REDACTED_KUN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »
Can this mod work on Nightly builds. I would liked to try it out. But i can try it whatever i want to.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:53:41 pm »
People already steal and modify images from my mod that I have stolen and modified before! Yay, you made me happy! :)

Anyway, good job! I really like the looks of it.

Offline Sputnik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:19:13 pm »
I should say theese guns looks really AWESOME!!! because they looks like cool replica out of original amrs. Still, I will check this mod only after the original vanilla game finished but it looks really promising.
And yeah, the topic is formated and written in such way it's a pleasure to read.
Thank you for the mod!

BTW! Is there any possibility to install just your AWESOMEGUNS.CITIES mod on the recent nightly, since I can't find the DATA/Ruleset folder... But I want new cities on the globe so bad!
Please, could you help me? I put the mod into separate folder as for the Nigtlies required, followed by the instruction on UFOpaedia, but the mod just don't work.

Aaand, now I tried the FULL MOD on recent Nightlies and it work just fine (as far as I can say from the beginning) but there are no new cities on the globe still... :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:07:59 pm by Sputnik »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:02 pm »
Thank you guys. Your happiness also makes me happy. It gives me the strength to continue development and improving process of the Awesome Guns modification.

Be aware, that Awesome Guns modification was translated into English, Russian, and few pieces into Polish (thanks to Solarius Scorch ???). Please, feel free to translate it into your language.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:08:49 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »
Can this mod work on Nightly builds. I would liked to try it out. But i can try it whatever i want to.

Thank you for your question. The Awesome Guns modification is aimed to stability and original XCOM plot. Therefore it works fine with the stable OpenXcom game version 1.0. In addition, The Awesome Guns modification is developed on the Debian and implements the Debian idea about stability.

Now I explore how the unstable OpenXcom game (nightly version) works and what opportunities can offer. I really think about porting.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:58:10 pm »
I should say theese guns looks really AWESOME!!! because they looks like cool replica out of original amrs. Still, I will check this mod only after the original vanilla game finished but it looks really promising.
And yeah, the topic is formated and written in such way it's a pleasure to read.
Thank you for the mod!

BTW! Is there any possibility to install just your AWESOMEGUNS.CITIES mod on the recent nightly, since I can't find the DATA/Ruleset folder... But I want new cities on the globe so bad!
Please, could you help me? I put the mod into separate folder as for the Nigtlies required, followed by the instruction on UFOpaedia, but the mod just don't work.

Aaand, now I tried the FULL MOD on recent Nightlies and it work just fine (as far as I can say from the beginning) but there are no new cities on the globe still... :(

I am afraid that the "Ruleset" for cities and regions has changed dramatically in the nightly version of OpenXcom.

Offline Sputnik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »
Oh, that would be so nice of you to "rework" the city-part of the mod! I hope it would not be a big problem, because without it the globe looks so sad and incomplete.
Thanx again for operative reply!

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 11:34:50 pm »
It has been bothering me that you have the laser pistol and heavy laser redesigned a bit, while the laser rifle is only a recolor.

So....I altered it.
I only changed the bigob file. I made sure the yellow parts were in places that would match the existing handobs and floorob files. Let me know what you think!

Credits:
Murmur - recolored the laser rifle
CanadianBeaver - redesigned the laser pistol and heavy laser
The Reaver of Darkness - redesigned the laser rifle based loosely on the heavy laser redesign

Offline Helmet_Hair

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:18 am »
Looks really nice. I like the new graphic for the weapons.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 06:37:36 am »
I would like to announce that additional modifications have been changed:

I wish you a good time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:25:19 am by CanadianBeaver »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 11:48:12 am »
You know that you will have to rework the entire mod, once SupSuper decides that enough features have been added towards the current nightlies and a official Version again is released?

The concept of milestone releases in the age of github generated content is kinda outdated.

So is the concept of debian, having a "stable" version release, in my eyes is kinda bullshit. Running around with software which relies on old long forgotten codebases isn't really the best thing to do. One of the reason I would never run debian. especially on servers or server farms.

Best linux destributions i was ever working with was gentoo. Total versioning control, excellent paket manager.
And i am really looking forward to switch to nixOS in the near future, which brings together the concept of github with configuration versioning control.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:57 am »
Yeah, I agree with the Hellrazor - almost nobody makes mods for 1.0, because it's old, buggy and lacking all the cool stuff.

Sure you can do this, but there's just no point.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 04:24:28 pm »
Solarius Scorch thank you for your message. I understand, that OpenXcom 1.0 is not a stable release. It is an unchanged release. "unchanged release" gives the possibility to make modifications that work without redesign and testing each day when new nightly version of OpenXcom is appearing. One of the main idea of Awesome Guns modification is stability. I keep observing the situation with mods for nightly version and if the situation be more comfortable I will think about adaptation.

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

It has been bothering me that you have the laser pistol and heavy laser redesigned a bit, while the laser rifle is only a recolor.

So....I altered it.
I only changed the bigob file. I made sure the yellow parts were in places that would match the existing handobs and floorob files. Let me know what you think!

Credits:
Murmur - recolored the laser rifle
CanadianBeaver - redesigned the laser pistol and heavy laser
The Reaver of Darkness - redesigned the laser rifle based loosely on the heavy laser redesign

Thank you for sharing your idea. If you ask me, I think that the default relief (outlines) of Laser Rifle image is OK. But after your proposal, I see that the default image has a little problem. I think the image of Laser Rifle should be changed exactly in this place.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:35:10 pm by Solarius Scorch »