aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951691 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »
what if your soldiers all die and the dog is left.

Mission failed?

I'm not sure how exactly it works, yet.

I haven't paid attention do items recovered as loot show up instantly at your base? if so then you could always hand wave and say a recovery team is involved.... you could even research  better recovery team times as part of the logistics research tree.

Yes, the game mechanics is that the loot appears in your base instantly, before the craft returns. We'll see how it works.

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2016, 11:53:25 pm »
I'll think about it. Yes, some balance is still in order. But as HelmetHair said, two people are not exactly useless... Well, not every time anyway.

Everyone have different opinion on the same thing. You are a creator and do what your vision tell you to do. For me it's wrong fighting hordes from the begining. In X-Com we know that we fighting with superior alien life form so it's ok, but in X-Files we trying to find out what's going on.

All of its segments act as cover, and a pretty even one... So I'm not sure what you mean. But I reviewed the MCD and made the car a bit bigger, voxel-wise; hopefully it helps. It was indeed a bit strange...

Dont'k know enything about OpenXcom moding and where different entries are so i don't look for errors in code just write how things work in game. Look at the screen. All the soldiers crouched.

1    can hit    a    can hit    1
2    can hit    b    can hit    2
3    No line of fire    c    can hit    3
4    No line of fire    d    can hit    4
5    can hit    e    can hit    5

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2016, 01:05:07 am »
Yeah, I think that's what I fixed. :)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2016, 03:43:39 am »
what if your soldiers all die and the dog is left.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2016, 11:27:19 am »
Quick debug-option-test: The elerium mace bigob gif uses the wrong kind of transparency, needs an update. There are a lot of missing STRs, but ok it's an alpha...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:50 pm »
Quick debug-option-test: The elerium mace bigob gif uses the wrong kind of transparency, needs an update. There are a lot of missing STRs, but ok it's an alpha...

Good catch with the Elerium Mace.
As for the strings, yeah, they're gradually being added.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2016, 03:37:47 pm »
Just wanted to clarify for the tutorial video I'm working on:

HOW DO I INSTALL THIS MOD?
- Unpack the mod. It will create a complete OpenXcom_XFiles folder with all the files that you need; it will contain the correct nightly version and Yankes' and Meridian's custom .exe named "OpenXcomExPlus.exe".
- Copy files from your original "UFO: Enemy Unknown"/"X-Com: UFO Defense" folder to the "OpenXcom_XFiles/UFO" folder.
- Use OpenXcomExPlus.exe to run the game.
- Enable the mod from the mod selection menu.

I'm also including applying the Universal Patch after I copy the original files.  If you don't want this step in the video, let me know. :)
Thanks!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »
Hmm this reminds me, wouldn't it be better if the mod included a stripped config file, which only :
- enables the mod
- sets any option which is preferred for XComfiles (ie. language, range-based accuracy)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2016, 11:04:03 am »
Is this bug or feature, that sniper rifle does less damage, than hunting rifle? Also is it possible to place soldiers in the beginning of battle back to back? I mean back to car/van and face to danger.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
Hmm this reminds me, wouldn't it be better if the mod included a stripped config file, which only :
- enables the mod
- sets any option which is preferred for XComfiles (ie. language, range-based accuracy)

Is it possible to distribute a partial config? If yes, it sounds good.

Is this bug or feature, that sniper rifle does less damage, than hunting rifle?

How? Hunting Rifle does 33 damage. Sniper rifle does 30 damage + 0.25 Firing Accuracy, which is more than 33 even for a poorly trained agent, and sniper rifles are meant to be used by marksmen (or they won't hit).

Also is it possible to place soldiers in the beginning of battle back to back? I mean back to car/van and face to danger.

Yes, it's possible, but facing to the sides seems more natural after getting out of the car. Or am I wrong?

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
Is this bug or feature, that sniper rifle does less damage, than hunting rifle?

Nord,

It isn't a bug...at least it isn't a bug in this mod. I believe it is a combination of lack of foresight, balance taken from a different mod and 0-200% damage calculation.

I'm going to assume you experienced the marshmallow bullet problem. It seems suddenly that for some reason that you are shooting dudes with marshmallows or pillows while the enemy suddenly starts killing your men with 1 shot.

I have my own pet theory (that is a bug) on why this happens which I'm not going to share here, but let me give you some advice to counter it.

1.TFTD damage calculation
2. Nitro rifle
3. keep playing.

Don't expect anyone else in the OXC community to care about what you experienced at the hands of RNG. You will only hear the same tired appeals to authority of  "X did it" or "It's fine like it is" or "You can play something else" or some other bullshit, so be prepared.

Regards,

-HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »
Nord,

It isn't a bug...at least it isn't a bug in this mod. I believe it is a combination of lack of foresight, balance taken from a different mod and 0-200% damage calculation.

Lawl.

No, it's the fact that the information about the bonus damage is missing from the Ufopaedia. Which is wrong and I apologize, will be fixed in the next release.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
Well,

Ass U me= assume :)

There I go proving I'm an ass.

-HH

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2016, 06:34:35 pm »
-All this talk reminded me,  how to change to TFTD damage model (there is no mod option like in Nightlies) or to 50-200%. Don't like 0 becouse it's stupid when you have % chance to hit and when you hit it's 0 dmg.

-Cult Activity Investigation Crash. Attached log. (need dmp file?)

-First month. Mission witch 49 zombies. Need 3-4 hit for kill. That was a long mission. Good that i had spare clips in the van.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
-All this talk reminded me,  how to change to TFTD damage model (there is no mod option like in Nightlies) or to 50-200%. Don't like 0 becouse it's stupid when you have % chance to hit and when you hit it's 0 dmg.

Unfortunately I am not aware of this option.

But... stupid? Quite the opposite. The TFTD damage is not only bad for the game balance, but it's also unrealistic, unless you are using Dalek death rays. It's an old argument here, please check for example this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4825.0.html for details.

-Cult Activity Investigation Crash. Attached log. (need dmp file?)

If you had a save game, it would be good. There is an elusive crash, it might be this.

-First month. Mission witch 49 zombies. Need 3-4 hit for kill. That was a long mission. Good that i had spare clips in the van.

Yeah, these missions sometimes take long... But I really like them. :P