aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1991421 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5c alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #975 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »
With high enough reactions, I find BlackOps Auto-Sniper outclasses the A3k, because it has alloy rounds, 25% more firing accuracy bonus, and armor penetration, plus the autoshot still works for 1-tile emergencies or is a fair DPS tool at ~10 tiles, just nothing in between 2 and 9.

Yep, with high enough reactions. Single attribute dependency vs multiple attribute dependency. It does outclass with your absolute best troops, but how do you get your best troops to be able to use it effectively as the A3k? You use the A3K for accurate reaction fire.

A soldier with an A3K with absolute average FA and reactions is better than with a BOAS just because of the flat 90% snap ACC. A3K soldier will hit more consistently and for good damage BOAS will not until the soldier is REALLY exceptional.

In addition to that 35% TUs to snap vs, 40% gives the same number of shots but more mobility; and 15 round mags means carrying less weight and fewer TUs spent on reloads.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #976 on: February 17, 2017, 07:37:05 pm »
OK, we made the VSS with Dioxine; we'll see how it goes.

Also remember that with a multitude of new guns, there will be new strategies and builds. :)

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2017, 04:25:21 am »
How do you start the Syndicate missions?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
How do you start the Syndicate missions?

You need to talk to M.A.G.M.A. representatives.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2017, 05:57:22 pm »
Need useless sprites?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 21, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »
Need useless sprites?

Haha, this is great. :)

While it won't go into the main mod as such, I wouldn't mind a joke mod.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:33 pm »
I just look into armors.rul and... well, i do not drawed this, it is drawed by self. :)

Also: bioarmor sprites in xcom colors, redacted (no gills) and as bonus - slightly redacted fat zombie spritesheet (no more flying arms)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 21, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
I just look into armors.rul and... well, i do not drawed this, it is drawed by self. :)

Yeah, I know the feeling. :)

Also: bioarmor sprites in xcom colors, redacted (no gills) and as bonus - slightly redacted fat zombie spritesheet (no more flying arms)

Much, much appreciated. Thank you!
(Although I think the zombie is fixed already. Could be wrong though.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:57:59 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 22, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »
Speaking about guns - I've got the M.A.G.M.A. Lab mission a week ago and still can't beat it (tried this twice but lost entire squad anyway). I wonder if I should equip half of my men with Light Cannons - BlackOps Rifles are wonderful but zombies (especially these ogre-like brutes) require concentrated fire from 3-4 agents before they will go down. And you'll beter dispatch them BEFORE they will get closer, or you'll be forced to use autofire point-blank and pray. I must admit that this all keeps the difficulty high enough for the game to not becoming boring  8)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 22, 2017, 03:34:33 pm »
Craft Railgun Tech is worth WAAAAY too much money.... Like I may joke about not needing money from the council, but for real 54 MILLION a month  at my manufacturing base.

Also, Where is the heavy Rail mini gun  :)

Where is the flying Juggernaut armor?  or the high end armor that has no bonuses or penalties and is simply good armor?

Where are the concealable armors besides the jumpsuit that utilize durathread? That would be awesome!

Have you considered an assault armor that has a shield but is powered? So like a powersuit or better with a shield? Or built in weapons?  I'd think a Heavy Blasta/ Shield with flight would be a base defense wet dream.

Anyway, have a good one!

with love

HH

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »
I wrote a script to make shield items grant armor when held, if you come up with some sprites for a power-armor-worthy shield and write the ruleset for that or separating the xeno/alloy shields from the armor, I'm sure Solarius would at least consider including it...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 22, 2017, 06:47:08 pm »
Speaking about guns - I've got the M.A.G.M.A. Lab mission a week ago and still can't beat it (tried this twice but lost entire squad anyway). I wonder if I should equip half of my men with Light Cannons - BlackOps Rifles are wonderful but zombies (especially these ogre-like brutes) require concentrated fire from 3-4 agents before they will go down. And you'll beter dispatch them BEFORE they will get closer, or you'll be forced to use autofire point-blank and pray. I must admit that this all keeps the difficulty high enough for the game to not becoming boring  8)

Glad you find it interesting, and that you're good sport about the difficulty! Admittedly it's not very well tested, so difficulty can be uneven at times. But everything should be doable with enough preparation.

Craft Railgun Tech is worth WAAAAY too much money.... Like I may joke about not needing money from the council, but for real 54 MILLION a month  at my manufacturing base.

Also, Where is the heavy Rail mini gun  :)

Where is the flying Juggernaut armor?  or the high end armor that has no bonuses or penalties and is simply good armor?

Where are the concealable armors besides the jumpsuit that utilize durathread? That would be awesome!

Have you considered an assault armor that has a shield but is powered? So like a powersuit or better with a shield? Or built in weapons?  I'd think a Heavy Blasta/ Shield with flight would be a base defense wet dream.

I could respond one by one, but the reality is, it's all late game and I haven't gotten to that yet. :) Right now, I am working on stuff somewhere not long after the alien invasion starts. I am aware of the unbalanced railguns, and that more armours would be nice, but... everything in time. For now it's level 2 factions (primarily the Syndicate), advanced firearms, this kind of stuff.

I wrote a script to make shield items grant armor when held, if you come up with some sprites for a power-armor-worthy shield and write the ruleset for that or separating the xeno/alloy shields from the armor, I'm sure Solarius would at least consider including it...

Yes, I'll certainly add them at some point, but it's more polishing than a crucial feature, so for now we have the traditional armour-bound shields.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 23, 2017, 06:15:42 am »
Glad you find it interesting, and that you're good sport about the difficulty! Admittedly it's not very well tested, so difficulty can be uneven at times. But everything should be doable with enough preparation.
Well, I tried to give Light Cannons to four of my agents for this mission. Hell yeah, buckshot rounds make a short work on zombies (even large ones) but LC had an obvious downside - they are running out of ammo very fast. Argh ;D

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 24, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
terrible english overload:

Olivia and Herene were driving the black van. The road was surrounded by an uneven grassy terrain, with sparse trees and some occasional small wood: there was an UFO somewhere in there.
"How come our scientists had to research the AK-47? It's the most common weapon ever, it's even on some country’s flag", asked Herene; "Dunno, it certainly seems silly" answered Olivia.
Herene steered off-road, and the van started bouncing harshly; "It really isn't meant for driving here; sadly the Mudranger is out of gas after about 500 meters".
Then suddenly, after a small hill, the UFO appeared to their sight. It was a big shiny object, metallic-looking; the overall shape was that of a cross. Herene removed her foot from the gas but didn't break, the van slowly came to a halt just next to the unknown vessel. "Ooooh shit. We're only two people even though this van has room for six ..err four".
The two agents, quivering with tension, stepped off the van into the tall grass and reached the side of the UFO. A sudden mechanical noise resounded from inside. Olivia reached the corner of the metallic shape: "Maybe there is a door on the other side?", she muttered to Herene. She instinctively checked on her colleague and shockingly noticed that Herene looked frozen, with the eyes wide open. Herene raised her gun and started shooting around, her face contracted into an unnatural expression. Olivia flattened against the wall of the UFO; luckily no gunshot hit her. Herene then, just as suddenly as she started shooting, dropped her firearm and runned away, behind the strange vessel corner. Olivia heard once again the mechanical sound. Then she heard another sound, like air being violently sucked out of something, followed by Herene’s scream.
Olivia immediately looked behind the corner: some meters behind the UFO’s mass there was a creature, humanoid in shape and minute, like a children, but with a very big head. It was giving its back to Olivia: “Should I really take a shot?” asked Olivia to herself. She just took the shot.
The bullet hit the thing right in the head. Olivia saw the “little grey man” collapsing in the grass with a moan.  She started to run to it, like she was possessed; she passed before the whole face of the alien craft: “Herene had probably been killed right there, a bunch of meters on my left, behind some invisible door”, she thought.
Olivia was over the collapsed creature. She had just run for a dozen meters but she was panting and sweating like never before in her life. But she didn’t stop for a second, she mechanically picked up a gun-looking object and the corpse of the creature, and started to head back to the van. Once again traversing all the face of the UFO: “Herene is lying there, hidden by that metal wall, dead or worse”, Olivia said to herself.
She turned the corner and she finally saw the van. It must have been no more than 25 meters from where the alien was shot to the van, but at that time it seemed like an unimaginable distance. A cosmic distance.
Olivia started to cover the small patch of tall grass that separated her from the black vehicle: “There is no sound at all. Was the wilderness always this silent?”, she suddenly realized. Maybe it was just her sense of hearing, so focused on any unconventional sound that it was suppressing any other sound. The thought of hearing again that mechanical sound followed by the air-sucking sound, tormented her at every step.
She mounted on the vehicle, she dropped the grey extraterrestrial body on the backseat, green blood was dripping on her black suit, and she started driving.
Time stopped making much sense after that for Olivia. She remembers the van bouncing like crazy through the wilderness, then the road. As she finally started crossing other cars, she exited the trance. She stopped the vehicle on the side of the street and checked the back: the corpse was still there, silent and lifeless; she wouldn’t have been surprised if she had found the creature alive, staring back at her.
She finally calmed down. “I have to take a shit like there’s no tomorrow”. She checked again the extraterrestrial: that thing costed the life of her friend and colleague, it was an evolved alien life form, the first ever X-Com had its hands on. She told herself that it was worth it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:49:03 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 25, 2017, 01:11:50 am »
Wow, first XCF fanfic ever. Robin, I should give you a hug <3