aliens

Author Topic: FMP on GitHub  (Read 20720 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »
It's all really exciting, although as I said completely outside my experience. If it's doable, then I'm all for it.
As for the credits, I've never had any complaints about it. I'm trying to credit everyone, but in reality our community is very open - everyone's taking and modifying everybody else's resources, so it's often hard to identify the original author. Still, nobody complains.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 06:56:33 pm »
I created an empty public repo for now that can be a starting point until we figure out license and how to commit things.  Might be useful to make README.md (markdown) out of the current read me.  Solarius, I added you as a collaborator, so you don't have to fork if you don't want to do it.   You can just clone and get started.

https://github.com/jgatkinsn/final_mod_pack

Help guides:
https://guides.github.com/

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 07:25:45 pm »
The only person who can grant a public license on something is the copyright holder.
From what I understand, the license Creative Commons BY-NC seems to be what you would like : It allows others to modify and re-use in non-commercial works, as long as the original authors are credited.
You can only state that the FMP has such license if you make sure that every single part is either :
- already under a compatible license,
- or created from scratch by someone who agrees to grant this license.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »
Thanks!

You can only state that the FMP has such license if you make sure that every single part is either :
- already under a compatible license,
- or created from scratch by someone who agrees to grant this license.

Well, I'm obviously using resources from the vanilla game and TFTD...

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 04:40:16 am »
Thanks!

Well, I'm obviously using resources from the vanilla game and TFTD...

That's why my original suggestion is to commit just the rulesets to start out with.   Those should be safe to put under license.  The repo can also be setup to ignore certain files like the .pck, .png, .map, etc, so it will make it easier to map it over your directory for later bundling it altogether in a zip.

I really wouldn't now how to sort out what graphics were original and not original, but it could be done to where non-original items could be committed to the repo and have the original files ignored from git.  That could take a while though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 10:19:38 am »
That's why my original suggestion is to commit just the rulesets to start out with.   Those should be safe to put under license.  The repo can also be setup to ignore certain files like the .pck, .png, .map, etc, so it will make it easier to map it over your directory for later bundling it altogether in a zip.

I really wouldn't now how to sort out what graphics were original and not original, but it could be done to where non-original items could be committed to the repo and have the original files ignored from git.  That could take a while though.

I'd just ignore graphics at this point. If GitHub is supposed to help with debugging, then graphic files are irrelevant, no? (Yes, they can also be bugged, but I think it's past us already.)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
I'd just ignore graphics at this point. If GitHub is supposed to help with debugging, then graphic files are irrelevant, no? (Yes, they can also be bugged, but I think it's past us already.)

Github won't help you with debugging itself. They are however pretty good at showing you the differences between 2 versions, so you can track where something (probably) went wrong. One of the nice features of github is that they are also able to visualize differences between image versions (providing the format is supported).

I doubt that git will be (more) helpfull if you only intend to put in ruleset files, not the images. At best you would need to keep track of the images using a different method (current one?) and combine the two upon release. More likely the two will eventually desync causing extra work to put them back into sync (and then i'm not even thinking about what happens if you want to use previous commits after there were some changes to the images).

Since OXC already requires the original files to run in the first place, and i don't believe it is your intention to make it into a standalone mod, github with images is probably not worse than the current way of publishing the mod. The question marks regarding  giving credits i made before were mostly meant for contributions from the community, under the assumption that FMP does not supply original (UFO/TFTD) datafiles but adapted ones at worse (depending on the country you are living in derivative works might actually be pretty legal).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 06:18:12 pm »
help debugging : By other pairs of eyes :) Having the ruleset in a public browsable form lets other forumgoers check changes and see possible errors.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »
help debugging : By other pairs of eyes :) Having the ruleset in a public browsable form lets other forumgoers check changes and see possible errors.

+1 again.  And revert broken ruleset files is easier.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: FMP on GitHub
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 08:53:14 pm »
OK, I moved the discussion here for clarity.

So, what should I be doing now? :)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:32 pm »
OK, I moved the discussion here for clarity.

So, what should I be doing now? :)

My recommendation would be to commit FinalModPack_readme.txt, FMP_Tech_Tree_by_Meridian.png, metadata.yml, and Ruleset directory to the repo.  A license file can be added later, and we can convert the readmet.txt into a GitHub style markdown readme.md file. 

I can go ahead and commit these if you want me to do it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:32:48 pm by jgatkinsn »

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 10:26:09 am »
It's all really exciting, although as I said completely outside my experience.
I started to use git by using this step-by-step guide. But this is a command line based guide. Prepare yourself to spend some days to understand what you are doing with git.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:39:22 am by Xtendo-com »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
Btw i am also considering for my own Mod Hardmode Expansion.
But the biggest issue so far has come is which licence to pic.
To my degree, i would probably just put everything under a creative common licence, since this most likely represent the spirit of the community of stealing stuff from other modders like you see fit. (It would actually support such behaviour).

Another things is, i am not sure to which degree github can keep different versions of files. That would be most interesting especially for *.RMP, *.MAP, and MCD Tilesets. Does anyone know if there is a list of supported formats out there?

EDIT: Thanks for the Step by step guide, gonna take some time later to go throu it :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »
I can go ahead and commit these if you want me to do it.

Yes, please.

I started to use git by using this step-by-step guide. But this is a command line based guide. Prepare yourself to spend some days to understand what you are doing with git.

Sorry but no way. I don't have days. I don't even have hours. I mean I do, but not for something like this, I'm a modder with way too big plans for my own health.
I'll do what I can, but within my capacity.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »
Yes, please.

Sorry but no way. I don't have days. I don't even have hours. I mean I do, but not for something like this, I'm a modder with way too big plans for my own health.
I'll do what I can, but within my capacity.

Modding will probably not earn you money. Github knowledge as a programmer does actually help.