aliens

Author Topic: Just learned about a new mechanic  (Read 6664 times)

Offline NotCIAAgent

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Just learned about a new mechanic
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:21:49 pm »
Was fighting on a big UFO, my soldiers covered on smoke. An oblivious sectoid decides to try to flank me from above and jump down, falling right above a soldier that I presume he didn't see. The soldier immediately falls unconscious and is thrown to a square near him, where there's a bush. The sectoid is hastily taken care of by reaction fire.

Two turns later, he recovers, stun damage almost maxed but no life damage, away from the bush, where his equipment is still lying, unrecoverable.

Guess I just learned a new, VERY situational capture method. Imagine knocking down a terror disk with that?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned about a new mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »
Guess I just learned a new, VERY situational capture method. Imagine knocking down a terror disk with that?
This strangely reminds me to Mario Bros., when jumping on top of a turtle. =)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:40:23 pm »
Unfortunately, the engine will not allow you to jump on top of enemy units you are aware of. Only the AI (both civilians and aliens) can do that (although they are not doing it intentionally).

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:56:37 pm »
Yep I remember a while back I was having crashes due to this by having one soldier stand on another's head by walking of the roof of the ironfist dropship but, I think it was Warboy, said it was a pathfinding error and has since been corrected in the nightlies.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:27 am »
Yeah, this mechanic has been nicknamed "Goomba Stomping" ;)

I actually had this happen yesterday, when I actually knocked an enemy out that way.  I was trying to get into one of the mountain caves that was blocked by shrubs, with a Medium Armor enemy within.  A previous explosive round had blown a tile open directly over his passage so my thought was to run in and smash him with melee.  When I pathed in, the game paused for a second before showing my trooper in the passage, and low and behold, there he was knocked out next to me. :)  I must say, it felt good to be on the giving end, rather than the receiving end. ;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:43:40 am »
I'm surprised you can do it at all as the player. I think it is being limited to when you are unaware of the enemy's location, otherwise it would be too easy to abuse.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:38 pm »
You can do it as a player, but only unintentionally, meaning when you're not aware of the enemy unit.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:31:35 pm »
You could move a non-flying soldier to one level above a spotted alien, exactly on same X/Y, and shoot the ground with heavy weapon to destroy the tile (force fire).
But there are very few terrains where such situation could happen...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:57:52 pm »
You can do it as a player, but only unintentionally, meaning when you're not aware of the enemy unit.

I once asked why you can't do it intentionally but the answer was No Fun Allowed :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »
Would be interesting if it could be unlocked and tweaked. Something like a strength check:

Falling unit weight (stuff carried + corpse weight of that armor) > target's strength -> target falls unconscious

weight <= target's strength -> falling unit is displaced one tile (stunned if no tile available). Target get to reaction fire.

Or just a melee dodge check, handled as if the attack came from the direction the falling unit came from.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:57:22 am »
Didn't Adam Jensen had some ground stomp attack in Deus Ex HR?

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:53:59 pm »
In the first Deus Ex, when jumping down an elevator shaft I accidentally stomped a cat  :-[

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »
Sorry for necro, but this was really awesome!

I just witnessed my first goomba stomp.... it's hilarious! I want MOAR! :D

Too bad I don't have it on camera :(

The_Funktasm

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 09:44:41 am »
In the first Deus Ex, when jumping down an elevator shaft I accidentally stomped a cat  :-[

I seem to recall getting that to be fatal to a soldier, though it's rare that it works.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »
A little while back I managed to goomba stomp an alien - I knew it was possible to be stomped, but turning it around on the AI was sweet. There were a set of stairs with the second tile completely destroyed, so my soldier ran up the first tile to fall down on the one where the rest of the stairs should have been, and an ayy happened to be right there.