aliens

Author Topic: editing .sav file in hex editor?  (Read 21498 times)

Offline rv86

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
editing .sav file in hex editor?
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:26 pm »
Hello,
I have a copy of Xcom UFO Defense that was purchased from Steam. I installed OpenXCom from the nightly and everything is working really well. The saved game files are not in the 10 folders that exist in the UFO folder - rather they exist as .sav files in my user directory. My intent is to edit the amount of money I have in a saved game. Is it possible to adjust the amount of money I have in a .save file using a hex editor? I was attempting this using HxD and the saved game would not load. I'm new to using OpenXCom and to hex editing. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
RV

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: editing .sav file in hex editor?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
Try editing your .sav file with notepad++.

Offline rv86

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »
That did the trick! All the information inside the .sav file is very easy to navigate this way.
Thank you SIMON.

RV

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
Note that OpenXCom saves are ASCII, which means everything is saved in a fully readable format. You can open them in any text editor. No need to do funky hex editing.

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:25 am »
Use "Cheat Engine" - it's a best solution for cheaters :)
You can easy make many money, elerium-115, alien alloys and anything else. You also can set move points and energy to 999999 and win every battle by one soldier :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:20 am »
as pointed out above, you don't even need to go that far. everything in the save file is human-readable, except for the tile data in the battlescape. (because there's waaaaay too much data there to output in ascii)