aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 733827 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Meridian's resources and mods for (not only) X-PirateZ
« Reply #1110 on: January 29, 2017, 07:42:15 pm »
New version is up.

2017-01-29
 - Updated to OXCE 3.6: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.msg78240.html#msg78240
 - Dynamic stat column in Craft Armor GUI: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.msg78224.html#msg78224
 - Improved transfers of items with negative size
 - Unified soldier manufacturing with civilian recovery
 - Recoverable civilians: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5185.msg78206.html#msg78206

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YcHRGMGEwbzhQWVU

REMINDER: don't forget to upgrade data files (Data36.zip)... see attachment of this post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

PS: still not compatible with PirateZ... please wait for 0.99F

------------------

To play vanilla (UFO Defense / TFTD) and vanilla-based mods (Area 51, Hardmode, From Apocalypse, etc.), you can now enable the classic vanilla lighting experience by adding the following ruleset:

Code: [Select]
lighting:
  enhanced: 0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:08:58 pm by Meridian »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 29, 2017, 10:08:49 pm »
Portraits are enabled by [...]
Thanks for the explanation.

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:23 pm »
I know that melee dodge is available now, but has there been any support for ranged projectile dodge? And can either of these be applied to weapons rather than armour?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 01, 2017, 02:46:06 pm »
I know that melee dodge is available now, but has there been any support for ranged projectile dodge? And can either of these be applied to weapons rather than armour?

Melee dodge is the ability of the victim, not attacker... so armor, not weapon.
Ranged dodge is not possible... unless you're called Neo and live in Matrix... but basically weapon accuracy = enemy dodge, no?

As for, if it is theoretically possible... not via ruleset... but Yankes' scripts in 3.6 should allow this, or at least big part of it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:42 pm »
The scripts can allow you to take an extra RNG roll when a weapon hits to negate its damage, if you want ranged dodge that way, but they won't allow a bullet to just pass through a target.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1115 on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:28 pm »
From Bullet Designer's thread:
I'll probably implement some automated check soon for all maps, so that modders can check it and don't need reports from players...

You mean something like a full system scan? Yeah, it would be very useful. But when would that happen, on game start? That seems like the most logical way, but would also make the game load longer.

Ranged dodge is not possible... unless you're called Neo and live in Matrix...

You are right, but not in a game with thrown knives and ninjas. ;)

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 01, 2017, 03:52:23 pm »
The scripts can allow you to take an extra RNG roll when a weapon hits to negate its damage, if you want ranged dodge that way, but they won't allow a bullet to just pass through a target.

Yes that would be great!

You are right, but not in a game with thrown knives and ninjas. ;)

That's exactly what I'm thinking. To kill the ninja who wields ninja stars, you must send your own ninja who can block them with his/her bamboo stick  ;D

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 02, 2017, 07:47:51 am »
Ranged dodge is not possible... unless you're called Neo and live in Matrix...
Ranged dodge IS possible, by weird way. Exactly - by using small "loftemps". Not a brilliant way, but it works.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 02, 2017, 10:11:23 am »
Ranged dodge IS possible, by weird way. Exactly - by using small "loftemps". Not a brilliant way, but it works.

I meant it's not possible in real world. You can't dodge bullets, or hot plasma. So no interest from my side to implement it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 02, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
I meant it's not possible in real world. You can't dodge bullets, or hot plasma.

I don't really care about this particular feature. But I should point out that nobody here wanted dodging bullets; we mentioned thrown knives and such, which are certainly dodgable in real world. (Not sure about the plasma - it depends on principles it works on.)
So I guess if such a feature existed, it should be configurable - this weapon can be dodged, this can't.
Of course Dioxine might always step in and say that this or that tech enables dodging everything - like some sort of force shield or holoprojection. ;)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 02, 2017, 03:57:32 pm »
Force fields are another thing, we just had a discussion about them on discord :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 03, 2017, 12:41:45 am »
I don't really care about this particular feature. But I should point out that nobody here wanted dodging bullets; we mentioned thrown knives and such, which are certainly dodgable in real world. (Not sure about the plasma - it depends on principles it works on.)
So I guess if such a feature existed, it should be configurable - this weapon can be dodged, this can't.
Of course Dioxine might always step in and say that this or that tech enables dodging everything - like some sort of force shield or holoprojection. ;)

Sorry, but I just don't believe that.

Throwing knives are flying at least at 60 km/h... with professionals up to 120 km/h: https://www.knifethrowing.info/physics_of_knife_throwing.html

With normal target distance of let's say up to 10 meters... they hit the target in about half a second (or less)...
... that's barely higher than the minimum reaction time, which is about 0.35 to 0.4 seconds (just google it).
After that you have 0.1 seconds at best to dodge... I guess your muscles will spontaneously burst in flames, if you manage that.

If a trained person throws knives at you (or anyone else), they WILL hit. Full stop.

Watching too many Kung Fu movies I guess... or playing too much Batman.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:16 am »
Dodging knife probably relay on that you start move BEFORE throw not after. Similar how goal keepers are able stop shoot that can reach 100km/h.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 03, 2017, 01:06:09 am »
I don't feel like checking how it actually works in real life... I'm sure this was tested by Mythbusters or some other program I don't watch. And that's because I don't really care. Real life is irrelevant to Piratez - we have supermutants who soak up small arms fire because they are powered by a superchemical, space zombies and so on. All this stuff is not counter to physics as we know it, but certainly goes beyond the everyday experience and belongs to the realm of movies rather than documents.

I don't have a particular conclusion, it's more of an off-topic wander.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 03, 2017, 01:23:22 am »
Dodging knife probably relay on that you start move BEFORE throw not after. Similar how goal keepers are able stop shoot that can reach 100km/h.

Good try, but no : )

If you start moving before the throw... you make an even easier target from yourself... same as ice-hockey goalies vs. ice-hockey players. The attacker can easily compensate and you can't do shit anymore once you have started moving in that direction (changing direction is even more time-consuming than starting to move).

Football-goalies is another story... it works only because of:
a/ pure luck
b/ incredible superhuman ability of many football players to completely miss a HUGE net (2.5m x 7.5m)
c/ fact that you cannot (by rules) do anything with the ball other than shoot, i.e. no compensation as knife thrower or ice-hockey player can do
d/ you don't use your hands (as knife thrower / ice-hockey player do)