Author Topic: [Documentation] [Feedback] Map Editor  (Read 16783 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: [Documentation] [Feedback] Map Editor
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 09:46:01 pm »
Thanks, that helped! =) apparently, it looked like @ohartenstein23 does not use VS code, so .sln file misses important definitions.

I use VS Code, but have CMake configured to include all the files.

Small update in the original post: brought up to more recent OXCE version, added some TFTD support.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2022, 02:00:58 pm »
yay! thank you!

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2023, 07:40:49 pm »
One thing the documentation is missing is installation instructions.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:16 pm »
One thing the documentation is missing is installation instructions.

First post, second paragraph, fourth sentence.

Offline DaManWithGun

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2023, 04:44:47 pm »
Hi, I found an issue while trying to make a new map, namely trying to scroll through MCD bits in the selection tool makes the editor crash with a segmentation fault.
Happens only with X-COM Base elements from TftD, other tilesets are fine. I can open existing maps just fine, too. Tried swapping OG TftD files from different sources, seeing if it works better on native Windows rather than Wine and Manjaro, same error.
Since I'm computer illiterate I pass the log file onto you lot.

Offline N7Kopper

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2023, 01:48:35 pm »
Thank you for providing all the relevant language strings in the manual. It really helps my Frankenstein's Monster of an installation.

For the curious, I manually inject all of the relevant strings (in EXEs of course, I'm not insane) into the en-GB.yml files so that I can run vanilla, 2P, Brutal Ai, and now this all in the same folder with separate config files pointed to by the -config command.

Offline Flaubert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2023, 05:54:58 pm »
Thank you for this great tool! It's very easy to use even for a noob.
One question: when I save a modified map (from a loaded MOD), it always save it at the same directory as save files. Is there any way to change this? I would like the loaded map would save on the same place, overwriting old version of the map.
Instead, I have to go to the save directory, copy map and rpm from there, and then paste onto MAP folder in MOD.
"Save as" doesn't work, as map have already a name. iI know I can change save path to the one of the map I'm editing, but I would like not to do, as I should change again when map editing is done.

Also "File Browser" doesn't seem to work. I find the MAP/RMP files (outside of the game/mods directory tree) and when I select the map and press OPEN button, nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 07:02:53 pm by Nacho_HR »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:18 am »
The File Browser and saving to locations other than the savegames are planned features. Saving to that specific folder is a placeholder for now.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2023, 12:58:30 pm »
Hope the project will continue to develop. I've got a feature request - filter in MCDs list when selecting what to place by tile type (floor, n wall, w wall, object or no filter) based on what we select for placement (top right corner). I know there are some rare cases when you need to place an object in the slot of the wall, so this filtering should be enabled with option.
Is it hard to do? For now, I don't see much trouble.
That would greatly help with working with huge (close to the limit) terrains.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2024, 10:40:31 pm »
Hope the project will continue to develop. I've got a feature request - filter in MCDs list when selecting what to place by tile type (floor, n wall, w wall, object or no filter) based on what we select for placement (top right corner). I know there are some rare cases when you need to place an object in the slot of the wall, so this filtering should be enabled with option.
Is it hard to do? For now, I don't see much trouble.
That would greatly help with working with huge (close to the limit) terrains.

Shouldn't be hard, just time-consuming to ensure the filtering resets when necessary and that it doesn't have other side effects elsewhere.

I updated the code base to match recent OXCE to do some testing for Meridian, so if you want to compile a new version with recent OXCE changes, source is here: https://github.com/ohartenstein23/OpenXcom/tree/battlescape-editor
I'll provide compiled binaries if and when I get around to new features.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2024, 10:57:30 am »
Thank you so much!
I'm using your map editor extensive, may I provide some more feedback?

Route editor shows the number of the node as one of three numbers on it. But the number itself is really pointless info to me. Instead, I would like to see patrol priority right on the node, not in its property only. Sometimes on making ufo-like map I miss route node with patrol priority 0, and when alien hit it, it runs away from ufo; this is unwanted behavior.

I'm really looking for new features - saving and file browsing looks promising (found it in test build), playtesting the map would be super useful. Also, I looked at your globe editor - it would be a mind blower once done.

And again, I love your tool, using it a lot.