aliens

Author Topic: [WIP][TOTAL CONVERSION] UFO: Alien Takeover (old tread)  (Read 47358 times)

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]UFO: Alien Takeover
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 07:26:24 pm »
You don't mind if i take a look at them right?

Go ahead :)

Nr 1 is the vanilla battleship but with more content/furniture.

Nr 3 is not yet finished.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 03:02:00 am »
I wanna improve the mid- and end game Projects (research).

At the moment they are very boring, more than half of the end game Projects are like "advanced grenades deal", "advanced firearm deal", "advanced craft deal" and so on.
Mid game is the same: "Firearm deal", "HWP Deal" and so on. Quite boring.

So I wanna make it more diverse and interesting, like in the early game where its about everything from finding gangs to cooperate with, convincing the public that the alien threat is real, searching for information in a library and searching for useful items in nearby cities.

Unfortunately my imagination is quite bad.

Does anyone have any cool ideas? :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:05 am »
Go ahead :)

Nr 1 is the vanilla battleship but with more content/furniture.

Nr 3 is not yet finished.

Already absorbed successfully :D

Actually your BS3 Map inspired me to make a interior Battleship Version of my own, turned out to be pretty badass :D

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 10:57:49 pm »
Already absorbed successfully :D

Actually your BS3 Map inspired me to make a interior Battleship Version of my own, turned out to be pretty badass :D

Already tried it :D Ill probably use your darkened versions in Alien Takeover actually. Seeing trough walls destroys so much of the fun with exploring new UFO designs.

I wish there was a fix to this problem where the UFOs looked the just like the original ones, and would also deal with not being able to throw grenades next to these walls too.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 11:58:03 pm »
Its about time for a update on this project again. Hope it is not too many boring details.
This is the current status of development:

Early game:
Research/projects: Pretty much done.
Items: Almost done, just want to add a couple more items for more diversity
Ufopedia text: Many are done, but many of them lack text or have very bad text. (at some point, someone with better english skills should have a look at this..)
Missions: Done
Testing and balancing: Pretty much done.

Mid game:
Research/projects: More than 50% completed. Have planned a bunch of new research/projects that will be added to make things more interesting.
Items: Done, i think.
Ufopedia text: Most entries are just horrible drafts
Missions: Done
Testing and balancing: Not much done.

End game:
Research/projects: «Going to Mars»-research is completed, but the rest is so boring that I will remove it and start all over again
Items: Have not decided yet if end game will be low tech or high tech. High tech weapons are added, but might then be removed and replaced with other weapons.
Missions: Mostly done.

Other:
Graphics: I have made graphics for a bunch of new items. Dogfight and Ufopedia craft images are yet to be done. I would also like to create some new battlescape graphics, like walls and stuff.
Sound: A friend of me is making very awesome music for the mod. Mostly done.
UFOs: 10 new UFO types are added, most of them completely or almost done. Planning to add one or two more.
Aliens: A few extra races have been added (from other mods), want to add 3-4 more.
Terrains: Have created one new terrain, and changed the farm terrain a lot. Alien Base and Base Defense terrains are completely recreated, almost done with the Base Defense maps, half way done with the Alien Base. Still a lot to do on new mars terrain and new terror site terrain. Also planning to add some terrains from other mods.
Crafts: A few new crafts added, including some crafts from other mods. Planning to create a couple more.
Basescape: A few new buildings added, and most vanilla building are completely rebalanced.

Some words about the gameplay:
Powerful weapons are very scarce in this mod. Every heavy plasma clip is worth its weight in gold. This is done by requiring rare items for manufacturing of powerful weapons, and having alien weapons selfdestruct when the aliens die.

Making new types of tactical items (like motion scanner, stun grenade, psi amp etc) have been a priority, so items like the Motion Detector, Time Looper, Airsoft Pistol, Alien Slaves, Stationary Turrent, Tank/Shield, Suicide Bomb and Psi Suit have come to life.

Image 1:
New type of alien base
Altiod aliens (by Duke_Falcon)
Right hand: Psi projector (by Arthanor and Raidau)
Left hand: Time Looper

Image 2:
Craft: Skymaster
UFO: Medium Bomer
And a Sectoid Slave :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:01:37 am by Cooper »

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »
Wow, this looks like a really cool project. I look forward to trying it out. Love the new UFOs hovering in the air.

I wanna improve the mid- and end game Projects (research).

At the moment they are very boring, more than half of the end game Projects are like "advanced grenades deal", "advanced firearm deal", "advanced craft deal" and so on.
Mid game is the same: "Firearm deal", "HWP Deal" and so on. Quite boring.

So I wanna make it more diverse and interesting, like in the early game where its about everything from finding gangs to cooperate with, convincing the public that the alien threat is real, searching for information in a library and searching for useful items in nearby cities.

Unfortunately my imagination is quite bad.

Does anyone have any cool ideas? :)
Rather than researching those items, you could have to do a mission like a raid on a military base to steal the advanced weaponry or have to sneak into some kind of government facility to steal plans for advanced aircraft/HWP. The base could be evil mercenaries or alien sympathizers so you can kill them/steal from them guilt free.

Or maybe you have to rescue a renowned scientist that has been captured by the aliens (so alien mission, except rather than kill everyone you have to stun the scientist (locked away somewhere in the base) and carry him out alive to the green exit area ... better bring some strong soldiers). Then you can "debrief" (research) him back at your base and that will give you the ability to build advanced stuff.

Just spitballing some ideas your way.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 12:27:54 am »
Sounds like a cool project. I have no ideas to share though :/ but keep up the good work  8)

Offline Xeno Wiper

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:21 am »

End game:
Research/projects: «Going to Mars»-research is completed, but the rest is so boring that I will remove it and start all over again
Items: Have not decided yet if end game will be low tech or high tech. High tech weapons are added, but might then be removed and replaced with other weapons.
Missions: Mostly done.

A low-tech late game? What research is for?  :P

I mean....how will you do to balance this?

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

Rather than researching those items, you could have to do a mission like a raid on a military base to steal the advanced weaponry or have to sneak into some kind of government facility to steal plans for advanced aircraft/HWP. The base could be evil mercenaries or alien sympathizers so you can kill them/steal from them guilt free.

Or maybe you have to rescue a renowned scientist that has been captured by the aliens (so alien mission, except rather than kill everyone you have to stun the scientist (locked away somewhere in the base) and carry him out alive to the green exit area ... better bring some strong soldiers). Then you can "debrief" (research) him back at your base and that will give you the ability to build advanced stuff.

I like the ideas, will definitively add something like that. Thanks!

A low-tech late game? What research is for?  :P

I mean....how will you do to balance this?

Yes, low-tech late game :D Well, you will get powerful weapons, but they are very limited (requiring rare items to produce), or they are up-close weapons, like explosives that are very heavy, melee weapons or weapons with maxrange.
This combined with good tactical items (like alien slaves, that, if you do things the right way, can walk among other aliens without being shot at. Excellent scout!) or psi amps, will make it possible to defeat the end game aliens :)

Also, this mod is meant to be quite difficult, and the gameplay is meant to be a lot more up-close than the vanilla.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 08:29:07 pm »
Making the alien base a little less ugly.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:33 am »
Very nice tiles. But these flowers seem a bit out of place :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 12:50:14 pm »

How do you think about invert the large first level with the second ?
I mean :

++++
|===|===|===|
         ++++
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:53:54 pm by davide »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:39 pm »
maybe you just align those plants on the walls

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:24 pm »
Thanks! Its my first completed tiles. Hmm yeah. I agree :P

How do you think about invert the large first level with the second ?
I mean :

++++
|===|===|===|
         ++++

Looks pretty nice! Not sure which one I like better.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:28:21 pm by Cooper »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »
I like the one with bigger middle deck. Makes it look way more balanced and flight-capable.