aliens

Author Topic: Re: [Mod] Alternate Graphics for XPiratez - 099L1A1 - BETA  (Read 120615 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Graphics for Piratez Extended
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:30 pm »
I was mostly being argumentative for the sake of it, because the stance (no nudity is accepted, but blowing people up is totally fine) is retarded.

In theory, you have a new game engine, a new story, mostly new content.. It's mostly a new game (which certainly does share significant influence from the original) like TftD to XCom. But making that case is probably not worth the risk of getting banned for a regular Twitch user..

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 11:43:03 am »
I was mostly being argumentative for the sake of it, because the stance (no nudity is accepted, but blowing people up is totally fine) is retarded.

In theory, you have a new game engine, a new story, mostly new content.. It's mostly a new game (which certainly does share significant influence from the original) like TftD to XCom. But making that case is probably not worth the risk of getting banned for a regular Twitch user..

I don't think it's the place to debate this flaw in our values anyway. I'm happy if we can go both ways, Piratez in its full (i)mature glory and the SFW submod for those who do not want to take chances 'in public'.

Anyway if I may give a few suggestions, a little shading will help the armor blend well on the paperdoll. I dunno what program you use but a new layer on top where you paint semi transparent white to give volume would be great. Likewise a few shadows on the neck and under the belt and pouches.

This looks good so far, cannot wait to see how the night ops suit will look like.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 11:49:53 pm »
Anyway if I may give a few suggestions, a little shading will help the armor blend well on the paperdoll. I dunno what program you use but a new layer on top where you paint semi transparent white to give volume would be great. Likewise a few shadows on the neck and under the belt and pouches.

This looks good so far, cannot wait to see how the night ops suit will look like.

Boltgun - The problem is OpenXcom uses a 256 colour pallet, semi-transparent is !@#$ hard to do as a result.  Also the fact this is pixel graphics is also a big problem.

And I use a combination of Paintshop Pro 7 (for pallets and reformating) and MSpaint. (every thing else)

NO INSULTS at my choices please!

Oh - Here's a updated version of the Runt (with shading)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 02:02:48 am »
Shading looks great on the outfit, however the pouches kind of look like some sort of scale or mollusk. May need to contrast a bit with darkening to really show off the flaps/snaps as they are too muddy right now.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 02:18:48 am »
Yeah, for some reason, the brown pockets on green don't really work. Better back with the Green on Green or something else.  And yup. I get it. Limited pallettes make it finicky.  Some things work and some don't. :)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:54 am »
Here's the variants I tried first

Any sugestions for the colour?

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 03:10:17 am »
The light green works too; but so does the brown. What I meant was just some areas need some contrast to really pop; as it is (especially as they are going to be small), it's really difficult to see the lines on the pockets/pouches. So they just look like blobs attached to the soldier instead of pouches.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 03:52:42 am »
Might take a bit of work - ok light green then.

If any one has sugestions/questions just put them up - I should get back to you by Tuesday Afternoon (UTC +12) due to a combination of Life, My Job and a Public Holiday - Sooner if Spark can fix the flats phone line tomorow.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 01:37:05 pm »
To be honest, I prefer brown pockets... Green on green is kinda boring, especially on a pirate. Just sharpen them up a little.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 06:50:23 pm »
To be honest, I prefer brown pockets... Green on green is kinda boring, especially on a pirate. Just sharpen them up a little.

Heh.  I differ here.  I'll vote for light green. :) 

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 02:11:22 am »
Here's a sharpend version of the light green Vs the rounded

What's the opinion

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 05:11:21 am »
Here's a sharpend version of the light green Vs the rounded

What's the opinion

I would say even more straight. To be honest the curved females do not look attractive in my eyes, but that is a matter of taste :)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »
I was refurering to th pouches

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 11:36:26 pm »
The straight shoulder pouches make the breasts... really pop out and unnatural.

I would go with the rounded, HOWEVER keep the darkened clasps/zippers/buckles that the straight pouches have.

Lastly, I would suggest moving the left leg pouches (around the kneecap??) lower or higher as wrapping pouches around your knee doesn't seem ideal.

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 12:04:16 am »
I'm not very good at shadeing, so that might take a little while unless someone wants to do it for me.

Next progect is up

wow i can barely believe it, is like a drem of being a game designer...something, anyways, that design was originally an idea for a  long range suit , like the guerrilla (whne i didn't know the guerria was a thing) i had an idea for the night ops, but i haven't drawed yet