aliens

Author Topic: Does OpenXcom simulate the randomness of craft reload speed in the vanilla OG?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Daemonjax

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
In the vanilla OG, reload time had a 50% spread, with the average time being significantly faster than the values found in craftweapons.rul

The values in craftweapons.rul are the worst case times.  The average times in vanilla OG were 75% of these values.

UFO craft seem to be breaking off before I can shoot them down more often than I remember, which led me to investigate the issue, so I'm just wondering how OpenXCom handles this aspect.  I kinda like it the way it is, because being unlucky and not shooting a UFO down early enough for the alloys forces me to change my initial early-game strategy somewhat, which is probably a good thing (for me, the player, not the xcom soldiers), but it devalues the standard cannon because it's unable to fulfill its purpose.  Still curious.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:09:20 am by Daemonjax »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
the random spread applies to UFOs, not xcom crafts. xcom craft weapon reload speed is dependant on your attack stance (ie: cautious, standard, aggressive)

the break-off timer is also randomized, and influenced by difficulty. UFOs are easier to shoot down on beginner than they are on superhuman.

Offline Daemonjax

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I thought otherwise, but I'll take your word for it.  I'll just stop using cannons, then.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:27:48 pm by Daemonjax »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Note, I kinda remember some Ufopedia statistics in vanilla UFO were wrong, they didn't reflect the actual stats (or relative stats of different crafts/weapons, when there is no absolute scale).
I play in Veteran difficulty (3/5), and I can confirm that at this setting, I noticed the small crafts were noticeably harder to crash - especially if I use a craft with a cannon and a missile, and voluntarily disable the missile. But then, this wouldn't have been possible in the vanilla game : Either my craft has missiles and I likely destroy it, or I shoot it down two times more quickly with two cannons, and certainly get a crash site.

This recent rebalance is rather a improvement, in my opinion. Do I waste costly missiles to ensure the alien mission fails, or try to force it to land for an easy land mission, but risk missing it entirely.