Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610141 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »
Truth be told I was more inspired by Predator's shoulder-mounted plasma cannon.

It might look like an interesting mechanic, having it been mountable on the two shoulder slots on specific armors (loader for example) and allow grenade saturation with low TU cost.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:51 pm »
HA! That'd require a major change in the interface :)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2015, 05:05:23 pm »
Yeah, I can guess, but is it theoritically possible?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2015, 07:19:14 pm »
Anything is possible, but is it worth it to turn the whole battlescape system upside down just to get a gimmick? Also, no matter how many weapons you have, you can only fire a single one at once anyway.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2015, 11:31:19 pm »
Anything is possible, but is it worth it to turn the whole battlescape system upside down just to get a gimmick? Also, no matter how many weapons you have, you can only fire a single one at once anyway.

Might be might be not its on you, I just asked a question to satisfy my curiosity. I might have no idea on code/modding but I am a currious little (well not really) guy.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:05 am »
XCom is not a fan of hybrids either, and as far as I know, mutants are the product of alien meddling.

X-com Apocalypse has the Human-Mutant Alliance faction which can supply you with human-Sectoid hybrids. Of course, Apocalypse is set in like 2040's at least while this is still a 1999 dystopia. I do think there are still idealists who would be accepting of the mutant pirate gals. Perhaps they can be convinced, or coerced into service. They'd be better with guns but very squishy compared to the pirate gals, who are mutants.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:05 am »
Apocalypse is set in the 2080s, so I guess there has been a bit of time for philosophies to change.. In 1999 vanilla xcom, the few references to hybrids are presented as bad things, kind of revolting alien experiments. And being the aliens' creation, they are considered aliens (and by extension, enemies).

I originally though that Piratez was set after a defeat in Enemy Unknown. My answer was based on what I consider 1999 xcom's view of hybrids. I now realize that this is not the case and
Spoiler:
TftD actually happened in Piratez (not sure of the outcome? Haven't seen any Apocalypse reference but I also haven't played that, so I might have missed them..).

As for whether there are any XCom descendants/remnants, and what XCom's view was shortly after the aliens took over (post Apocalypse hybrid friendly or something else), or what it has evolved into.. only G.. I mean only Dioxine knows ;) And I am very much looking forward to finding out more through the in game lore.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:03 am »
Yeah, though this is a different world. The original timeline had the hybrids (if you consider Interceptor cannon) found in the 60's. There is no mention of surviving hybrids after the war, except the Mutant alliance ufopedia, about them been the results of both aliens and human scientist hybridisation efforts. That said the mutant alliance of Piratez is both the same and a different organisation than the Apocalypse one. Plus mega Primous had them living in its confines, but they were denied the right to procreate in the city's procreation parks, and they were suffering extreme discrimination.

I can only speculate on the level of hostility a pureblood would see them with, into the much worse world that Piratez is, but I bet it would be high.
They are mentioned as "bug eyes" in the lore though and seem to be one of the stable strains so, we can assume they have a sizable population.

I also dont think recruiting them (or any other mutant for that matter) should be a thing. Read the following spoiler only if you have completed a certain medical research topic:

Spoiler:
It is made clear that the girls are part of the "uber" human strain (and therefore I speculate) the conclusion of the experimental cycle on earth. They have infinete growth patterns (both mental and physical) under stress and surpass every other custom tailored strains. That is why we see them starting as silly gals who can only jury rig the basics of guns together, and then develop to be capable to build starships and understand containment field physics. Their only weakness seems to be psi, but I havent progressed enough to know if they ever understand this, but if they dont why would they recruit seemingly genetically inferior stock? And if they understand that their psi is genetically limited, then they understand that this was done on purpose. Recruiting sectohums on an organisation that becomes more dangerous day by day to the Etherials, as in force them to directly intervene, is like a giant middle finger that would guarentee a massive reprisal IMHO
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:08:41 am by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:44 am »
Spoiler:
TFTD didn't happen in this storyline. The diverging point is around 1999-20xx, depending on when the invasion happened. The human civilization didn't grind to halt overnight, too, it took several generations, the Empire wasn't in a haste, hence things like UAC weapons. However, the TFTD aliens have awakened, stirred by long and heavy rain of hyperwave chatter that began after the invasion. When? Nobody's sure, they didn't act hastily. The massive Deep One (I know they're called Gillmen, but I've decided for the original Lovecraftian name) invasion is comparatively recent, maybe a 100 years back or less.

The earth of 2600 has maybe a couple tens of millions purebloods left, and at least 10-20 times more mutants. A large lot of them is near-baseline though and generally accepted by most humans - but not by the Humanists who are extremists. But then again, whole Piratez Earth is what we would call a "revolting alien experiment", and for a good reason. But then again, it was the Star Gods who raised the man from the ape, according to XCom lore..

The Uber strain is indeed psi-weaker than Ethereals, but on the other hand, never as weak as some humans are. 10-15% of wild humans were psi-stronger than (probably) any Ethereal... But those humans are basically long dead, targeted by Ethereal bio-weapons and hunted down almost to the last. 2600's Humans Psi Str caps at about 65 (with very rare exceptions), and ALL their physical stats are inferior to the Uber strain. Sure, a very-well trained human would be superior to most of your starting recruits, but - basically no further advancement.

The Pirate gals also do not employ Sectoid hybrids, as even the strongest of bug-eyes would be only somewhat stronger than the strongest of the uber strain, while being pathetic physically. Sectoids cannot match Ethereals, their hybrids neither, they learn psi very fast but I think their capacity would be capped at around 70 Psi Str/70 Skill. They do face discrimination, because the psi comes natural to them - they do not need any lessons to have Psi Skill, they don't need Psi Amps to use their powers either, and these things scare people - not only purebloods, but most non-psionic mutants as well. And fear leads to aggression. The ubers thus might like bug-eyes as their fellow mutant brethren... but only from afar. Ubers are prideful and as prone to chauvinism as the pureblood humans are - after all, they have named themselves "the Ubers" :)

As for the Sectoids and their own hybrid line - wait till this part of the story is introduced... There will be Sectoids (and Aquatoids).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:13:07 am by Dioxine »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:01 am »
*Squee!!*

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2015, 09:13:01 pm »
Any chance to get this mod updated to the new openxcom folder system ?

I really enjoyed playing it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
As far as I know, Piratez needs an old nightly to run (which is linked to in the first post). It would be pointless to update it for a nightly it can't run on ;)

I think Dioxine is concentrating his efforts on the Piratez Extended conversion, which likely will take a while as it's quite ambitious.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:42 am »
I think Dioxine is concentrating his efforts on the Piratez Extended conversion, which likely will take a while as it's quite ambitious.

Yes, and more stable, too... however real life keeps interfering, and this makes the whole process longer (...extensive testing make it even longer...)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2015, 04:23:52 am »
I can wait! I'm nowhere near done with my current playthrough, and I think after that I might want to go back to the XAE for a little, at least to publish an updated version for the nightly..

I'm sure Piratez Extended will be awesome  8)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2015, 02:53:39 pm »
Any news on the progress Dioxine?