aliens

Author Topic: once new terrain/mission rulesets changes come online rename it to milestone 1.5  (Read 7197 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
i m thinking the new changes are big enough that it can be called milestone 1.5 as is gonna be completely different than 1.0 and no terrain mod related for 1.0 or previous nightlies  will work on the new one. so would be nice to name it and have it be a fixed point in dev history.

OpenXCom 1.5 would be custom missions and major terrain/textures/city/mission changes.

Then once hybrid geoscape and limiting items/armors/units  per terrain type comes into play as well as water crashes, water missions and ships that can go in space/really deep/in water/on land  name that milestone 2.0.

1.5 is half TFTD support ie TFTD mission support
2.0 is full TFTD support

good/bad idea?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:51:35 pm by tollworkout »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
I fully agree  that OpenXCom needs a new milestone. Developing content for the nightly now makes a fair share of it incompatible with 1.0. Terrains (because of map scripts), craft weapons and UFOs (because of timers) all currently require different version of a mod to work on either the nightly or 1.0 and it will only get worse.

It is just a question of label and distribution, moving everyone to a new milestone would be great to get everyone on the same page again.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
I fully agree  that OpenXCom needs a new milestone. Developing content for the nightly now makes a fair share of it incompatible with 1.0. Terrains (because of map scripts), craft weapons and UFOs (because of timers) all currently require different version of a mod to work on either the nightly or 1.0 and it will only get worse.

It is just a question of label and distribution, moving everyone to a new milestone would be great to get everyone on the same page again.

Uhh don't mention mapscript.... i am still having headaches from going through luke83's stuff and making it somewhat playable on nightlies...

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
hahaha everyone with custom terrain and maps is gonna have such a hard time  .  hobbes probably gonna have the worst time with 2 of his mods using custom terrain lOL

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
hahaha everyone with custom terrain and maps is gonna have such a hard time  .  hobbes probably gonna have the worst time with 2 of his mods using custom terrain lOL

I've been preparing for this change, it's going to take some work but I have already been preparing the Terrain Pack (and UFO Redux, since it uses the Pack without any modifications).

Other than me, to my knowledge no one else is currently developing new terrains so this change will have little effect on people's work.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
extended ubase and extended terror missions also affected i think but mostly you :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
extended ubase and extended terror missions also affected i think but mostly you :)

Well somewhat. But we will manage.
I am more inclined about the possibility to spawn missionsites. I am wondering if you set therm to a specific game date or so.

Maybe we could implement something like the council missions from the firaxis xcom  or something alike.
Or hunting down this couple of scientist which will unlock laser tech for us :D?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Well obviously SupSuper has already put this changes on github.

But iam currently wondering how the positioning of the cities will take place, since they were defined by coordinates in the past and are now defined in the regions.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Well somewhat. But we will manage.
I am more inclined about the possibility to spawn missionsites. I am wondering if you set therm to a specific game date or so.

Maybe we could implement something like the council missions from the firaxis xcom  or something alike.
Or hunting down this couple of scientist which will unlock laser tech for us :D?

well since you can define custom missions and custom mission weights you can set up low percentage terror missions that are unique. and you can setup multiple types of terror missions in one month. pretty AWESOME. i already have an idea.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
still waiting for a nightly  though

EDIT: NVM is up .

UNOFFICIAL milestone 1.5 is up :)))))

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
I wouldn't recommend using the nightly if you want your old terrain/mission mods to stay intact. Otherwise, go nuts :P just make sure to check this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3327.0.html

There probably won't be any more major breaking changes before the next milestone though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:55:25 pm by SupSuper »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
UNOFFICIAL milestone 1.5 is up :)))))

sorry, no it's not, please don't make this kind of announcement, it's not your responsibility, and that's not how it works.
we'll promote a new version when it's ready, and not a moment before.
there's no such thing as an "unofficial" milestone. this will do more harm than good.
have faith in us, and everyone please stop trying to declare arbitrary points in the development cycle as anything other than what they are.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:18:33 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
sorry, no it's not, please don't make this kind of announcement, it's not your responsibility, and that's not how it works.
we'll promote a new version when it's ready, and not a moment before.
there's no such thing as an "unofficial" milestone. this will do more harm than good.
have faith in us, and everyone please stop trying to declare arbitrary points in the development cycle as anything other than what they are.

sorry warboy . is was meant as fun more than anything. of course i trust you guys!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
it's fine, it just makes my pants brown when i see this kind of thing, because we're just not ready for that yet.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
is all up to you. that's just a name that i used in excitement as is a lot of new features. is gonna be quickly forgotten  . is up t you guys to make any official releases.  sorry again.