aliens

Author Topic: Several Questions in XCOM  (Read 3317 times)

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
Several Questions in XCOM
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

(1) Can't I assign armors at base defense mission? I was a bit baffled since I had a bunch of armors in my base but didn't assign them before the mission so I was just forced to fight without any armors... I think since armors are not the 'items' which you can pick up in the battlefield, I cannot assign armors, right? :'(

(2) Is there any pattern with UFO movement esp. regarding if they will land at least one time or just go away without landing? I want the intact Elerium as much as possible of course!

(3) Is there any convenient way to check the psionic training? They do not automatically tell you when they finished the training (and got increased psi-skill level). It would be also great if I can see how long the agents were in the pionic lab.

Thanks  :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Several Questions in XCOM
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:25:11 pm »
1) You can give armours to soldiers either through the "equip craft" window (where you can do it even to soldiers not assigned to a craft) or through the soldiers entries (but that interface is not so great), before the mission happens. You can do it right as you see the battleship coming in. Unfortunately, once the base defence mission starts, it's already too late. All your guys have time to do is grab a weapon!

2) The behaviour of all UFOs is scripted, so a UFO on a given mission will always behave in the same way. What changes is the regions where they perform specific actions. They will spawn in random regions, fly to their mission specific region, perform their mission, fly to a random region and go away.

If you know the mission (using a hyperwave decoder), you can predict if they will land or not. If you don't know the mission, then you take your chances (or, like me, you don't and shoot the buggers out of our sky. I'd rather have no Elerium than let some aliens get away!). The first mission of every game is a Sectoid Alien Research mission in your starting region, which I think involves landing for most of the UFOs, so that's a safe one. After that, good luck!

3) I suppose you're using the "psi-training any time" option? That one is actually rather clunky and gives no report. I have been using it but I think I like the monthly training (and reports!) better. Otherwise, checking often is the best I could do..

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »
3 : Note that psi training is only performed at midnight. So you don't need to check more often than once per game day.

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 06:31:11 am »
Thanks everyone :) I wish I could check the psi training more comfortably when I use the psi training mod.

For the UFO landing, the only case I could guarantee the ship would not land was when the UFO was for retaliation mission. It just goes to one of your base straight or roams around the base few hours then leaves. Other than that, I don't have a clue yet. Maybe I should just play more games...

[Edited]

One more question suddenly arised: does the UFOextender Accuracy mod also affect the accuracy of aliens?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:58:12 am by TaxxiDriver »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:21 am »
For the UFO landing, the only case I could guarantee the ship would not land was when the UFO was for retaliation mission. It just goes to one of your base straight or roams around the base few hours then leaves. Other than that, I don't have a clue yet. Maybe I should just play more games...

This is governed by ufoTrajectories in the ruleset. Detiled explanations are here.

One more question suddenly arised: does the UFOextender Accuracy mod also affect the accuracy of aliens?

From my experience, yes!

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:17 am »
Thanks for the info. Those rulesets have so much useful information...