Author Topic: game crashing  (Read 4162 times)

Offline virtus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
game crashing
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:20:08 am »
Hey there,
Long time xcom fan here.  I have just started playing on superhuman and just had an epic early encounter with a crashed sectoid terror ship.  Down to three men and I finally manage to stun the sectoid leader.  However each time I finish off the last alien the game keeps crashing!!  No matter how many times I reload and try again the game crashes.  I have some mods installed but the same thing happened before and I ended up just restarting. 

I've put a lot of effort into this game? Any way I can get around this? 

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: game crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:46 am »
Without specifying what mods you are using, it will be very difficult to trouble shoot.

Do you have Soldier Diaries / Commendations installed?

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline virtus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:33 am »

Offline virtus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:17 am »
heres the mods i have!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:55 am »
That is quite a load.   8)

The reason I ask about Commendations, is that it is a custom executable that is separate from the main branch of OpenXcom.

I had a few similar crashes to yours with Commendations, in one specific circumstance.

Was your mission in an area where there were buildings? ie farm houses?  Did any of your troops get knocked unconcious by aliens falling on them?  This is a known bug that Shoes has recently fixed.  How recent is your copy of the Commentdations mod?

Offline virtus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:55 am »
Just downloaded commendatins about 3 days ago.  The area is a desert. Dont think anyone got knocked out..

May just have to start again!!!

Offline virtus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:09:48 am »
Actually managed to fix it there.  Just restored to defaults in the options section

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:31:20 am »
There may be a couple things happening.  By stunning a leader, one of your soldiers is eligible for "Bolt's Cross."  If there is an issue with that commendation, it could cause a crash.  The records are displayed at the end of the mission, and recorded then too. 

Disabling commendations is a good tactic to try to get around crashes like this.  You might want to post your save file in the Commendations mod thread and ask Shoes to take a look at it.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
I would indeed be interested to know if stunning a leader causes a crash!

If ever the commendations mod is too buggy, you can swap out the custom .exe with the vanilla one and continue from there, no restart required. Swapping back to commendations will leave you with a hole in your soldier records, but that's it. Simply turning the mod off _might_ work, and would allow you to continue tracking soldier stats.