aliens

Author Topic: Odd Gender Ratios  (Read 20370 times)

Offline FLIR

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Gender Ratios
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:59 pm »
I also find the aquatic alien invasion very oppressive, but when I played, I was impressed at how the humanity was wisely acting :
An international task force gets created, so that there is an authority which can fly, fight, and requisition personal and land (build bases) anywhere on Earth. No single country or place is off-limit!
There is also the fact that scientists can invent a new weapon technology in a matter of days : If nobody had done it before, it means that for humanity, there was no need or demand for weapons!

Thanks for elaborating, I see your point and you are right... ("a common enemy unites")

Being a X-Com commander for 20 years, I have seen thousands of aquanauts die horrible and strange deaths in even stranger environments; its hard for me to see anything "optimistic" in TFTD. Even the "victory music" sounds somehow pessimistic: https://youtu.be/DNcMMJexB4c?t=15m53s - and I love that! ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:08:14 am by FLIR »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »
First time i played the game back in 2005 i rememner such thing, that i confirm yes it' different from xcom/ufo:eu, in the latter ratio was 3:1 or something similar. May be nice to have an option: use man woman xcom ratio yes/no, so i agree with whose suggested that. :)

I find it more telling that white:black ratio has moved from 1:1 in XCom to 3:1 in TFTD :)

niculinux

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 01:15:41 pm »
I find it more telling that white:black ratio has moved from 1:1 in XCom to 3:1 in TFTD :)

Meltin' pot alike effect, then? :D

Offline Emax

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 12:52:00 am »
Just in case there's still some confusion for other readers: Warboy is saying that vanilla x-com had a 1:3 ratio (1/4 female and 3/4 male) and Openxcom also has a 1:3 ratio now (in the ruleset).

If you remove the 1:3 ratio rule from the ruleset then Openxcom's engine will default to 1:1 (1/2 Male and 1/2 Female) because Openxcom isn't sexist, only vanilla x-com and the default ruleset.

Also .nam files give name-sets for different countries and modders can add new .nam files for new countries too. A .nam file can be set to have it's own gender ratio, for example if someone added Planet Amazonia they would want all soldiers with Amazonia names to be female.

Very sorry to necro, but I am very new to openxcom and this one issue has been driving me nutz.  Can somebody please explain in detail how to set the .nam files as described here?  Do I just take the line "genderRatio: [3, 1]" and add it somewhere in the name lists?