aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663296 times)

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »
Yeah that was my problem, it's working now.

Do you have any example rulesets you could share? How would I go about making stun damage also do some health damage? Is it possible to add a new damage type, if so how would I do that and get a weapon to use it?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:15 am »
I have snippets for item (like stun rod):
Code: [Select]
  damageType: 6 #load default values of stun damage type
  damageAlter:
    ToHealth: 0.5 #this attack do half power as health damage
    ToStun: 0.5 #this attack do half power as stun level

[ps]
new exe is out, updated with recent nightly, two redv mods (chance_hyperwave, chance_crafts_radar), big unit can inhale smoke, throw bonus to damage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:24:46 am by Yankes »

Offline Voiddweller

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 12:29:17 am »
Awesome idea, but where i can find a new options list?
Edit: It seems to have a habit to crash after i end tactical mission either by escaping or completing it. Non-mod related bug. Latest version used.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:18:21 am by Voiddweller »

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:08 am »
Latest build contain ViewDistance mod. https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-extended
You can change maximum view distance, view distance at dark, threshold between daytime and night vision rules.

This ruleset contain rules by default (see attachment). It is a good starting point for your own rules.

# X-COM 1 (UFO: Enemy Unknown) ruleset
# Armour has attribute "visibilityAtDark". Default value is 20 tiles. Vanilla Xcom sets 9 tiles for humans.
# Therefore possible to make:
# - armour with night vision properties;
# - difference by night vision among alien races.
armors:
  - type: STR_NONE_UC
    visibilityAtDark: 9
  - type: STR_PERSONAL_ARMOR_UC
  - type: STR_POWER_SUIT_UC
  - type: STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC
  - type: TANK_ARMOR
  - type: HOVERTANK_ARMOR
  - type: CIVM_ARMOR
  - type: CIVF_ARMOR
# Default value for "maxViewDistance" is 20 tiles.
maxViewDistance: 20
# Default value for "maxDarknessToSeeUnits" is 9.
# maxDarknessToSeeUnits is threshold between daytime and night vision rules.
# If shade 0-9, then used daytime vision rules. If shade 10-15, then used night vision.
maxDarknessToSeeUnits: 9
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:12:11 am by redv »

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
I've attached my ruleset so far, I've made the stun rod and stun bomb do health damage and cause wounds, and incendiary clips and rockets do real upfront damage. Tested both in a battle and they seem to work as expected.

I got the crashing issue with the new exe too, after leaving a battle. I've moved back to the previous exe for now, which doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »
I have a personal request:

I would really like to be sable to disable a certain mission up to a certain point of time, for example "don't create terror missions before August 1999" (just an example, not a part of an actual project). The easiest way to do this would be to enable it in alienMissions, as an additional flag somehow.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 01:32:39 pm »
Latest build contain ViewDistance mod. https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-extended
You can change maximum view distance, view distance at dark, threshold between daytime and night vision rules.

This ruleset contain rules by default (see attachment). It is a good starting point for your own rules.

# X-COM 1 (UFO: Enemy Unknown) ruleset
# Armour has attribute "visibilityAtDark". Default value is 20 tiles. Vanilla Xcom sets 9 tiles for humans.
# Therefore possible to make:
# - armour with night vision properties;
# - difference by night vision among alien races.
armors:
  - type: STR_NONE_UC
  - type: STR_PERSONAL_ARMOR_UC
  - type: STR_POWER_SUIT_UC
  - type: STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC
  - type: TANK_ARMOR
  - type: HOVERTANK_ARMOR
  - type: CIVM_ARMOR
  - type: CIVF_ARMOR
# Default value for "maxViewDistance" is 20 tiles.
maxViewDistance: 20
# Default value for "maxDarknessToSeeUnits" is 9.
# maxDarknessToSeeUnits is threshold between daytime and night vision rules.
# If shade 0-9, then used daytime vision rules. If shade 10-15, then used night vision.
maxDarknessToSeeUnits: 9
I altered redv mod that you don't need define default "9" range for solders.

I've attached my ruleset so far, I've made the stun rod and stun bomb do health damage and cause wounds, and incendiary clips and rockets do real upfront damage. Tested both in a battle and they seem to work as expected.

I got the crashing issue with the new exe too, after leaving a battle. I've moved back to the previous exe for now, which doesn't seem to have the same issue.
Every mission, or only one? I would be glad if you send me save from that mission. Meanwhile I will try reproduce it myself.

Offline Voiddweller

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 03:15:47 pm »
New version crash on start for me :P

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
Do you used 1.0 or Nightly? if 1.0 then its to old. My version require Nightly to work.

Because of some strange error in my toolchain I get crash at end of every mission, if I sue different compiler, everything works fine.
I will try find cause of this.

--- posts merge ---

Ok, I find culprit, again its Warboy fault :D.
I include recent changes form Nightly, and Warboy add new functionality and changed default ruleset.
New nightly is required as base for exe.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:19:19 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »
One of the issues with recent nightlies that has been crashing mods:

Hitanimations:

Warboy has updated those and it now affects HE/smoke/incendiary weapons.  Before these had no affect whatsoever.

Ensure your hitanimation has an appropriate value if you are using one of these weapons.

See  chatlog below.

Warboy   specifically, the ammo the smoke launcher uses, and the hitAnimation defined for it
06:03   FeelyMcFeelerson   https://pastebin.com/4mUqkpcZ
06:03   FeelyMcFeelerson   Scout_drone
06:05   Warboy   hitAnimation: 26
06:06   Warboy   change that to 0
06:06   FeelyMcFeelerson   I have no idea what that means, but if it fixes it, it's alllright
06:06   Warboy   hitAnimation refers to the sprite to use when a projectile hits its target
06:07   Warboy   for HE/smoke/incendiary weapons this field did nothing whatsoever
06:07   Warboy   until about two days ago when i made the explosion sprites moddable
06:08   Warboy   the explosion spritesheet has 8 entries, using hitAnimation: 26 tells it to start at frame 26. there is no frame 26
06:09   Warboy   the author probably got this via lazy copy/paste, and as it was vestigial at the time, it went unnoticed

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »
I've been toying with the night visibility options and I want to ask one thing - The light emmited from X-Com Soldiers is counted as normal light by the engine? Because if so, Aliens will never use their nightvision stat, because every X-com soldier is standing in the light.

Otherwise, the increased nightvision for X-Com soldiers seems to work fine.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 07:49:56 pm »
I updated a bit first post. More info about changes in extended version.

I've been toying with the night visibility options and I want to ask one thing - The light emmited from X-Com Soldiers is counted as normal light by the engine? Because if so, Aliens will never use their nightvision stat, because every X-com soldier is standing in the light.

Otherwise, the increased nightvision for X-Com soldiers seems to work fine.
I don't know, redv add this feature and he probably know answer for that.

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:46 pm »
How hard would it be to add option to disable soldier glow depending on armor used? Or maybe even add option to have enemies that glow. I tried to find where the glow is applied in the battlescape engine but its beyond my skills (it took me 5 hours and 4 tries to get the git and visual studio working).

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

It is real light. Therefore each soldier looks like a walking christmas tree.
But you can switch off this light by pressing "L".

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
Wow, that is pretty huge design flaw there.
Quick testing, model situation: Alien can be seen by one soldier further than 9 tiles away only because its illuminated by personal light of another soldier that actually don't see this alien. If you get into this situation with light off and than turn if on - it wont update - you wont see that alien. On the other hand, when you turn the light off, you still see the alien as if it was illuminated. You can update by turning around, but thats not how it should be. Also aliens with modified nightvission suffer the same problem - and they are not that kind to update their FOV by turning around before frying the soldier with plasma.

When setting the light on or off a recalculation of FOV must be done for all soldiers (and with OpenXcom Extended even for all aliens) or else you will get into weird situations. This should be done even in main OpenXcom build. I will post a bug to feedback forum later.

But for the diferent nightvision values to work correctly this have to be modified further. My suggestions:
1) Forcing the lighting to be on all the time but let the ruleset decide if the armor is glowing or not (also applicable for aliens so you can make glowing ones).
2) Make the personal lighting toggleable soldier by soldier. And costing TUs to turn on or off while also provoking reaction fire. It would still benefit from ability to define if the armor light is on by default or not - you don't want your sneaky soldiers to give out their position in first turn. (This would probably need some new GUI for devices that don't have keyboard like android tablets)
3) Make the default glow intensity lower than 9 to be sure that nightvision rules will be used. I dont know if the light in X-Com is additive so a tile illuminated by two sources (like a soldier and flare) would have light intensity of highest value or both values added toghether.

Alternativally combination of points 2 and 3 - light is toggleable on soldier by soldier basis and it switches between daylight intensity and nightime intensity. So even when the lights are off its not pitch dark everywhere. Or even better - have ability to set if the armor have toggleable light, if its on by default, what is light intensity when on and what is light intensity when off.