aliens

Author Topic: Four Interceptors lost downing a BB  (Read 4006 times)

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
Four Interceptors lost downing a BB
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:51:23 pm »
Today I had the odd experience of losing all four Interceptors while shooting down a Battleship.  The Interceptors were armed with plasma cannons and all engaged at the same time.  All five units were using beam weapons, so I have to chuckle and wonder who got the last shot?  Perhaps an Interceptor collided with the BB after the pilot ejected, or the BB flew through the last Interceptor while crashing?  At least it was at the end of the month (July 30) so it'll help my budget when the 1st rolls around.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Four Interceptors lost downing a BB
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:52 am »
seriously? the last interceptor and the battleship killed each other simultaneously?
that's... actually rather cool. I didn't think this was possible (except for missile weapons, where it makes sense...).

I'm not sure, maybe beam weapons are only displayed as a continuous beam but handled by the game as a high-speed projectile?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:37:58 am »
All craft weapons are handled as projectiles, at least there seems to be no difference in the ruleset - they have projectile speed & so on.

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:58:14 pm »
Okay, that explains it.  Thanks!  It was a rather uncommon occurrence for me.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
IIRC it only takes 1 shot from the Battleship's weapon to destroy an interceptor and still takes quite a few plasma beam shots to bring down the Battleship. That battle was a close call.

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
My memory from past battles and this one is that you can have Interceptors take massive damage from one shot but still survive to return to base, or in this case to be hit again.  I was playing on Veteran level so that may have changed the Battleship weapon power.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »
My memory from past battles and this one is that you can have Interceptors take massive damage from one shot but still survive to return to base, or in this case to be hit again.  I was playing on Veteran level so that may have changed the Battleship weapon power.

Damage from UFO weapons is random. I can't remember the formula right now - it's different from the normal battlescape damage roll - but it's somewhat varied, depending on dice.