aliens

Author Topic: [WEAPON] (Updated v.1.01) Heat-Ray Weapons + new melee weapon  (Read 33613 times)

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] (Updated v.1.01) Heat-Ray Weapons + new melee weapon
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:42 pm »
Right, sorry.  The one with no hit animation works with the nightly, the other does not.  Both work with v1.0.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »
That's funny. I thought maybe the nightly might force you to define the hit animation, but only working when you don't have it is weird. Maybe lasers aren't a proper hit animation in the nightly for explosions?

Actually, in 1.0, giving it a blast radius overwrote the hit animation and I got a regular explosion, despite it being supposed to be the laser hit animation (hitAnimation: 36). Maybe in the nightly, if you ask for the laser, it does try to do the laser animation, but it doesn't work for explosions since it's a bullet hit, so it crashes..?

All area of effect attacks in 1.0 are restricted to be regular explosions. The nightly does have definable explosion animations, to be able to support TFTD with underwater and above water combat, which 1.0 does not have. You could try to define "hitAnimation: 0" in the nightly, which just requests the regular explosion, and see if it works.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:02:14 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 07:29:19 pm »
Right, sorry.  The one with no hit animation works with the nightly, the other does not.  Both work with v1.0.
that would have ben my first guess
there was some change in regard to hit / explosion animation in preperation for TFTD
as a consequence some sprites that were just unused before are now "used if there" so it some small changes in mods so you fixed it yourself
gz :)

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
It works with hitAnimation: 0 , hitAnimation: 1- 7 shows one frame of the explosion(different frame for each value) then crashes, hitAnimation: 8+ instant crash

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 07:50:34 pm »
thats not surprising
i assume if you make a blast radius you dont "hit" but make an explosion (=> X1.pck)
the explosion in ufo is the first image (only 8 frames, one style)
in tftd you have more options (second image)
i assume now you could mod your own explosion style if you draw the images and make correct extraspritre numbers

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »
I attempted to define the TFTD blasts you posted and use them like so:

Code: [Select]
    hitAnimation: 8
  - type: X1.PCK
    files:
      8: Resources/HeatRay/X1(tftd).png
    width: 1024
    height: 128
    subX: 136
    subY: 64

But the hitAnimation: string still crashes it, is there another string to assign a blast animation(if so it's not yet listed in the wiki)?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:33 am »
I think you've got your numbers mixed up:
Width: 1024 is good
height: 128 is twice as big as I'd expect. I'm pretty sure the height is 64 (at least the standard XCom one is)
subX: 1024 is not 8*136, it should be 128 for subX (unless you've got the Width wrong and it should be 1088)
subY: 64 is good, as long as the height is also 64. (assuming you have the standard 8x1 format for the explosion, not 4x2)

So your declaration should be:
    files:
      8: Resources/HeatRay/X1(tftd).png
    height: 64
    subX: 128

Edit: Actually, it looks like you're trying to use the image Falko posted above. So a height of 128 would work since it is two rows of explosion (keep subY: 64). The subX you define is still wrong though. I'm not entirely sure how to access the second row, probably just "hitAnimation: 16" without defining anything else since the extra sprite line defines both rows.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:54:38 am by Arthanor »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 06:07:15 am »
i assume now you could mod your own explosion style
i did not try it.
it took a small test with just a recolored ufo-X1 image to see if a replacment works at all
extraSprites:
    subX: 128
    height: 64
    files:
      0: Resources/test/X3.png
and i got a crash while entering battlemode so it seems X1.PCK is currently/not that way? not replacable but thats not what the thread is about
i concur with your "but only working when you don't have it is weird" statement

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 05:09:38 pm »
I made this for anyone who wants a different look. Please use the new RUL file because the rifle's size is smaller now.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »
For anyone following the explosion discussion here the solution and next step in development on the issue is posted here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3044.msg34716#msg34716

Offline MontyDrake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 11:54:49 pm »
Spanish translation:

- type: es-ES
    strings:
      STR_HEATRAY_RESEARCH: Armas caloríficas
      STR_HEATRAYRIFLE: Rifle calorífico
      STR_HEATRAYPISTOL: Pistola calorífica
      STR_HEATRAYRIFLE_TEXT: El rifle calorífico dispara un intenso rayo inflrarrojo y utiliza una enorme y pesada batería de Elerium-115, anulando la necesidad de usar cargadores.
      STR_HEATRAYPISTOL_TEXT: La pistola calorífica dispara un fuerte rayo infrarrojo y utiliza una batería bastante grande de Elerium-115, anulando la necesidad de usar cargadores.

niculinux

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »
Italian translation for heat weapons:

- type: it-IT
    strings:
      STR_HEATRAY_RESEARCH: Armi a raggio di calore
      STR_HEATRAYRIFLE: Fucile a raggio di calore
      STR_HEATRAYPISTOL: Pistola a raggio di calore
      STR_HEATRAYRIFLE_TEXT: Il fucile a raggio di calore emette un intenso raggio infuocante che sebbene utilizzi una batteria a Elerium-115 grande e pesante, non richiede il bisogno di usare caricatori.
      STR_HEATRAYPISTOL_TEXT: La pistola a raggio di calore emette un forte raggio infuocanteche sebbene utilizzi una batteria a Elerium-115 grande e pesante, non richiede il bisogno di usare caricatori.

Italian translation for the power glove
  - type: it-IT
    strings:
      STR_GLOVE: Power-Glove
      STR_GLOVE_UFOPEDIA: Un arma che rappresenta lo stato dell'arte nel combattimento corpo a corpo ideale, che dà alle tue truppe grandi capacità distruttive, tuttavia a causa delle sue dimensioni non consente il contemporaneo utilizzo di armi da fuoco.

Hey there's also a nice pic of an armor suit, suppose it is named sunfire, right? Screenshot is attached
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:20:18 pm by niculinux »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2019, 02:40:18 am »
I've been having fun using Civilian's Heat-Ray weapons so I thought I'd share these modified images so that others could toast a few Sectoids with them if they desire.

Heat-Ray Pistol:

Heat-Ray Rifle:

The Heat-Ray Rifle HandOb I'm using is a modified version of the Heat-Ray Sniper Rifle from "The Great War of the Worlds" total conversion mod.

Their mod uses several Heat-Ray weapons, so give it a look if you want to experience more of this style of equipment!

I noticed the cool Sunfire armor present in this mods screenshots, was a unit sprite sheet of this ever released to the public?

The helmet has a very unique look to it:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:43:52 am by The Martian »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 12:26:40 am »
Hey there's also a nice pic of an armor suit, suppose it is named sunfire, right?

Here are a BigOb, FloorOb and a Unit Sheet image that more closely resemble the interesting Sunfire power armor Inventory image in Civilian's mod.

I used the recoloured power armor provided by MKSheppard & MonkeyLord (Found in SunfireArmor.zip HERE) as a base then edited the eye pieces for the relevant frames.
Spoiler:

Updated to v.1.01 WITH  handobjects

If anyone has V1.01 of Civilian's mod could you please attach it to this thread?

Currently I can only find V1.0 and unfortunately that version does not appear to have HandObs.

The links in this thread for the newest version go to the Old Mod Portal which is no longer around, I also checked the Old Mod Portal Archive thread but it seems V1.0 is the last version stored there.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:33:46 am by The Martian »

Online SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:05 am »
Here's the only version I have, says it's v1.01.