Author Topic: AUTHORS: Please use the Mod Portal  (Read 14704 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AUTHORS: Please use the Mod Portal
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 02:05:03 pm »
I think there should at least be a mod format categorization, so that programs and users can tell apart the old 1.0 mod format (all contents went in Data) and new 2.0 mod format (self-contained folder with metadata), as they need to be installed differently.

Of course all new mods should have the new formats, but I doubt the hundred old mods will be immediately updated.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 02:16:29 pm »
Updating is trivial enough that just one person could do it over a reasonable time. A bigger problem would be to upload the new versions when one isn't the original mod author - I don't think we can do this behind the author's back.

Offline yrizoud

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:31 pm »
I don't think we can do this behind the author's back.
The people who created an account checked the  "I agree to the Terms of Service conditions" box, they have to accept the consequences.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:18 pm »
I'm not sure it's necessary to differentiate between 1.0, nightly etc., since pretty soon there will be only one version of Openxcom. Therefore I feel such categorization would bring little gain but cause a lot of hassle for everyone (not just modders, users too). I'd rather stick to the UFO/TFTD division only.

And the consequences and agreement / terns of services -- are not specified.. Welcome to America.... Muhahahha.

Offline yrizoud

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:34 pm »
...And this is why you shouldn't be trusted to collect people's personal information.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »
You know what else America is big on? Copyrights. I guess editing someone's mod could fall under this. ;)

Offline yrizoud

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 07:08:43 pm »
Do I need to remind you of EULAs and the risk of signing without reading ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ23kosLFec

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 06:18:38 am »
EULA agreements TOS takes time to create if anyone is willing to work on this please feel free to submit a proposal. At the moment I am working on integrating a new system to separate Old mod version with the new version, as well as TFTD mod support to look for either OXC/ TOS mods.. It's not a matter of Welcome to America.. It's a matter of my time and what is important to prioritize first. There is only one developer myself working on the modsite as there isn't anyone else with the required skills and more importantly the trust to have access to the system to join the team of modsite developers..

In regards to resolution I'm creating a new dropdown to separate Old Style Mods / New Style Mods and also OXC and TFTD mods. Further I'm creating a new Moderator user that will be able to update old mods and upload updated mod files. At the moment it's the best way to improve the current situation with old/new mod formats and now tftd. I'm definately open to ideas to improve the process, and apologize that I haven't created a proper TOS for the modsite. I Would not worry too much about the TOS because it's just a simple mod repository. The TOS will basically be the same TOS that is on this forum in which users agree not to abuse the system.

So no worries there. The only 'personal information' required is an email address to send activation email. The first and last name you can put whatever, as stated below. The registration form is a standard form that asks for basic information which every site on the internet asks for. I'm not selling any data to anyone and there is no need to worry about this :) The sole purpose of the site is to provide an easy accessible way to view all mods for a project that I very much support and love.

This is an opensource project, there is no big corporation or copywrite hound dogs after anyone's mod files or email addresses. This is for the love of OpenXcom which those concerns can understand.

I will be creating a news post for TFTD as well. Please let me know your concerns regarding the site if not mentioned or resolved in this post. I'm open to ideas because this site is not for me, it's for you and OpenXcom. Along with the new features mentioned above, I'm still working to finish the new Podcast area where anyone can promote and post their play throughs on the site just like they do with their mods, a new Mod API for a project a member is working on which will integrate the mod site to the game.. There is nothing but great stuff coming :)

PS, my EULA/TOS will basically say: "Abuse/attack the site and we will send ninjas to kill you" no just kidding. Just standard stuff... We aren't Facebook or Itunes :) Remember, EULA/TOS (while not complete yet because we have bigger items to implement first) are to prevent abuse and attacks. The site has been attacked by hackers and people trying to flood the site with fake bot registrations. It's required for protection, not only for the modsite, but to maintain it's integrity on the files that are hosted.

Much love commanders, suggestions welcome as always.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »
Jo5hua, could you please enable permanent login? Logging in several times a day is needlessly exhausting.

EDIT: I've just noticed the only version of my Minigun mod available is 1.3, even though there are numerous later versions. WTF?

EDIT: Same with Dart Rifle. I'd be happy to just delete these mods and upload them again, but they'll still be clashing with their duplicate.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:35:29 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:29 pm »
Jo5hua, could you please enable permanent login? Logging in several times a day is needlessly exhausting.

EDIT: I've just noticed the only version of my Minigun mod available is 1.3, even though there are numerous later versions. WTF?

EDIT: Same with Dart Rifle. I'd be happy to just delete these mods and upload them again, but they'll still be clashing with their duplicate.

I have designed a system in which permanent logins would work on the site. This would involve in the site creating a cookie with a special encrypted key saved in your browser. When you click on "Remember Me" it will save the key on your computer so when you go on the site again and you are logged out, it will read the key and log you in. At that instance the website will issue you a new key for the next time you are logged out, so the keys will always change with each new "session". At the moment while it's not a hard task to create and implement, it's not a quick one, but it's been put on the todo list. Care has to be taken when creating and implementing this to maintain a level of security.

I'm looking into the duplicate mod issue you are experience, sorry for this!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 11:56:16 am »
Thanks Jo5hua. Now how's the situation with the broken downloads? Apparently nobody can upload a new mod version - it looks like it's working, but then you can't download anything (no, there are no + characters in the link, but it doesn't work anyway). Or was it fixed already?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:45 pm »
If I recall correctly problematic char was "/" It split value in two making URL referencing new place not existing on server.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »
If I recall correctly problematic char was "/" It split value in two making URL referencing new place not existing on server.

Maybe at some other point. I'm sure my (and not only mine) trouble was with +.

But it seems to work now.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »
Ok thanks for reporting I will fix the uploader shortly to rename all files on upload stripping all non letters/numbers/periods. This should fix that problem, will post back here when corrected.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 08:56:52 pm »
I don't think the problem is with people's files having special characters. It seemed to be with the download links having an identifier that contains said characters.