Author Topic: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom  (Read 59555 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 01:08:49 pm »
Is it possible to make attacks animated with arm and/or weapon movement?

Ouch. That would mean new animations. For every single unit. Including modded ones.

Still, it depends on how complex it is. If you just mean one arm, then it's not so bad.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »
what if it was just the weapon that was animated instead of the unit? would that be easier?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 10:18:46 pm »
both will require lot of changes in code.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:46 am »
Ouch. That would mean new animations. For every single unit. Including modded ones.

Still, it depends on how complex it is. If you just mean one arm, then it's not so bad.
I was going to settle for a few different Hit animations ( like the STAR animation) plus status icons (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1551.0), animation for each weapon would be great but very painful. Some animation cycles for weapons would be good though ( Magic weapons ( glowing effect), torches and lanterns)...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »
You could theoretically use the 'flailing arm' (the walking animation an arm without a weapon) as a base for attack animation... theoretically.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 06:10:15 am »
 If you can just use the walking arm flail for an attack, would you be able to stick a weapon on the hand so that it would move with the hand, or would an animation of the weapon have to be placed over everything? I would like it if the attack animation could just be a solid image like in the death animations. Ideally 4  to 10 frames of attack in each direction, but even 1 to 3 frames would be nice. 

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »
I don't think it would be possible without adding new code. AFAIK the weapons have no actual attack animation whatsoever; two-handed guns simply get rotated by 90 degrees when fired (normally they are held perpendicularly to the soldier's line of sight). And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think two-handed melee weapons are not animated at all.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:38:41 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
I don't know how it's set up, but If we could at least have all melee weapons rotate by 90 degrees similar to the other 2 handed weapons, that seems like it could be an improvement.  But if the code could be adjusted to allow for attack animations that would still be better. Ideally there should be a way to edit animation control through LUA similar to how stratagus operates.

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 03:08:08 am »
Fantasy x-com with squad sized battles. Great idea. Been thinking about it too.

Though I think it would be best to rewrite the geoscape code and make it more like in JA2. But in a way so you can make new bases / hideouts where you can gather loot, weapons and goods and heal injured people.

I had some vague story for this: the king has been replaced by some dark forces and you (the real heir) are now exiled. The villages and towns are still in chaos and there you can try to recruit new people on your side. But you have totally lost the capital. The dark forces will send troops on missions to corrupt, capture or raid the villages, they also try to find you and your hideouts.

One part of the game would be stealth and hiding. Carry too much weapons and armour and the enemy will find your parties / squads more easily. Wear only robes and you can sneak almost everywhere, even in the heavily guarded capital.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 03:13:57 am »
I think it would be better to just make a medieval sort of X-com than a story about a single character.    You don't play as an heir, you play as a special order of X-com style knights put together to deal with a supernatural threat (typical fantasy monsters, goblins, vampires, dragons, etc.), and you're funded by different kingdoms and regions.  You build up your order making bases upgrading from forts to castles. and you respond to reports of strange phenomena, learning about the creatures  and their powers similar to X-com's technology research, but with sages or monks to research. And then discover that the ultimate threat is a portal or something in a wizards tower or on an island.  Then you have to build a special boat, or research a way to get into the wizards tower to go through the portal for the final battle with other worldly creatures to close the portal and return the world to normal.  Instead of a psionics lab, you could build a monastery in your base for some kind of religious training for mind defense, and to use holy relics like crosses vs. the vampires and ghosts and such. But you could still research the use of garlic, mirrors, and wooden stakes without the monastery.  So it could be sort of like ghostbusters with medieval knights.   But yeah, the geoscape would probably be better as a flat map in that type of game. 

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:15 pm »
All my FOxC files have been uploaded into the "Lukes Battle Sprites V4" on the modportal, most of these are not finished as i was still just playing around with some ideas but they are there if anyone wants them.
https://www.openxcom.com/mod/lukes-battle-sprites
Ignore the wrong images i attached to the file, for some reason i cant delete them...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2019, 11:06:01 am »
Started building a globe for Foxy, this is just a early version, i still have HEAPS of detail to add and a few new textures to modify...going to play around with this whist i am working on OXC Factions.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2019, 12:58:03 pm »
Wait, is this going to be revived?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2019, 01:41:31 pm »
Looks that way,this will be my backup project so dont expect it to develop anywhere near as fast as my Factions Mod but i still want to make it ( and i would love some help :) )

I started building a basic ruleset last week but have noticed Pirates has a lot of close combat weapons in it, so i think i should raid that ruleset, remove all the unwanted items and build on top of that just to speed up the process.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2019, 09:27:29 pm »
Just brainstorming for a possible backstory for this conversion. It could have a strong 'Dungeon Keeper' component. This means you could have a warband to collect resources from nearby towns to build up your 'Dungeon' and main battles were then base defense missions.
It would put more emphasis on base design, which is for most mods not really important.