aliens

Author Topic: [SOUND] High Quality Sounds  (Read 38333 times)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[SOUND] High Quality Sounds
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »
Hi.

Some time ago I put together a pack of sound effects for "UFO:The Two Side" game. I made it mainly for myself, since I love playing with headphones on and those old cracky UFO sounds just spoiled much of the gameplay fun for me. In the end, the pack was included in Ufo:TTS as the default sounds effects.

When I saw that OpenXCom finally reached 1.0, I thought it would be good to make a sound replacement mod using my old sound pack, hoping it will be usefull to at least some people.

The pack is not 100% finished and it lacks few sounds, which were not used by Ufo:TTS. What's more, I'm not totally happy with some of the new sounds, since in OpenXCom it's possible to give each weapon and each creature different sound (which is awesome), while I had very limited options when making this pack for Ufo:TTS.

Anyway, the pack is available here:

High Quality Sounds @ OpenXCom.com

It works as a mod, so it doesn't actually replace the old files (to have the old sounds back you'll just have to disable the mod in game options, that's all).

Feel free to post your comments and suggestions. I plan to update this pack in the future, so if you come across some better samples to replace the original ones, just post them.

BTW, you did awesome work on OpenXCom, guys.  ;)

Offline phobos2077

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [SOUND] High Quality Sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:51:32 am »
That sounds really nice :)
Will be great to have even more sound effect variety. Are you planning to expand this mod in future?

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:08:00 pm »
Sounds good. Started to use this.

+very pleasant for ears

-some sounds are maybe even too smooth, takes away little bit of the terror effect

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:29:39 pm »
I want to love this, I really do.

Like the previous poster said, the gameplay is less.... terrifying, with the new sounds.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:01:26 am »
I'm pretty sure all of XCOM's original sounds are from a sound library. The same one Doom uses, I think. Therefore it would be possible if someone got their hands on that library to make a high-quality soundpack of the actual original sounds.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 02:14:14 am »
I'm pretty sure all of XCOM's original sounds are from a sound library. The same one Doom uses, I think. Therefore it would be possible if someone got their hands on that library to make a high-quality soundpack of the actual original sounds.

I was thinking this same thing; I know for a fact that the snakeman death is a stock sound (it's also the worm sound in Dune 2000), I'm pretty sure the rest are as well.

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:39 am »
I was thinking this same thing; I know for a fact that the snakeman death is a stock sound (it's also the worm sound in Dune 2000), I'm pretty sure the rest are as well.

Seriously? That's awesome, I loved Dune 2000.

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:42 pm »
I think these sounds should be merged within openxcom :D anither reason to play it would be "added" :D

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:16 am »
No way, these need to be a mod. The base OpenXCOM should be a vanilla to the original XCOM (minus bugs) as possible.

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:31:57 am »
No way, these need to be a mod. The base OpenXCOM should be a vanilla to the original XCOM (minus bugs) as possible.

at least as an option, not "hardoced into the game" maybe?  :'(

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:40 am »
It already is an option; just download and enable the mod.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:03:11 pm »
This could be used for standalone game based on OpenXcom. Some battlescape graphic form Hobbes, unit and items form many different moders and we can have full free game that dont need orginal data.

niculinux

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »
This could be used for standalone game based on OpenXcom. Some battlescape graphic form Hobbes, unit and items form many different moders and we can have full free game that dont need orginal data.

Well, a bran new open source, moddable and freeware an crowsourced game! That would be heaven on heart!!  It may even have a dedicated web site!! Well the basis for this may be the Openxcom war mod.

Well...but the whole thing may need a separated thread, the stone was tossed... ;D

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.

Will be great to have even more sound effect variety. Are you planning to expand this mod in future?

Yeah. This was an initial release (quick conversion from UFO:TTS) and and after playing OpenXCom for a while with original sounds I must admit that some of the new sounds really need to be changed, since they're not as scary as they should be. They're just to... well... soft.

I also plan to add many new sounds, which originaly were not there due to limitations, like different fire effects for each weapon... I already have some nice sounds I use for various mods (shotgun, magnum, sniper rifle). Unique death sounds for each alien would also be nice.

Although, it's hard to tell when I'll have time to prepare the next version since I'm quite busy with my work and my other modding projects (for Mount&Blade game).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:43:54 pm by Daedalus »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:40:48 pm »
Very interesting, I will follow your advancement 8)